So Angry

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Margarita said:
I do know that low level can lead to a coma High level can lead to I think :confused: it’s a stroke, My mother sister never control her diabetic when on tablets , that it lead to her having to go on insulin , then she never control that , if effected her kidneys and she had a stroke one night .

I am now wondering that why high and low are both serious , so keeping it at around 7 should be safe, but with my mother it go to 12 also wondering if it was because my mother sister level so so high , that she had a stroke that she came out of , but then had another one that killed her.

High levels of blood glucose in general are more likely to cause long term problems than short ones. However, if someone has type one diabetes then they can go into DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) which can lead to a coma. People with type 2 diabetes don't generally produce ketones so it is not as much of an issue for them.

Low levels are actually caused by the insulin that people with insulin dependent diabetes need to stay alive! My son spent a few days of his holiday in a Bulgarian hospital a few years ago because of a hypo that caused a seizure. It is a constant balancing act between the amount of insulin, the carbohydrate intake and the exercise that the person takes. People who have many years of experience of looking after their own diabetes will still often struggle to maintain good control, because there are so many variables and the body doesn't always behave as expected!

The basics are that insulin will bring blood glucose levels down and glucose will raise them.

PurplePoppy

Oct 3, 2005
Hi Brenda, I last saw mum on Monday, and she was more or less back to normal (well normal for her). I plan on going in on Thursday. Thanks for asking and for clearing up about Type1 and Type2 Diabetes. You explained it better than I did.