Advice on Appealing against a panel rejection

RejectedBelper

Jan 21, 2013
My father has Alzheimers and has been in hospital since November following an operation to remove a brain tumour which resulted in a post op bleed on the brain. He is undoubtedly much worse in himself than prior to the op which was successful in removing the tumour. He requires significant care and the excellent nursing staff all agree he could not be cared for at home and deserves CHC.
The MDT met last week for the CHC assessment and the recommendation was that he should receive CHC. We have today had a phone call advising us that the panel have rejected the decison. Has anyone got experience of preparing an appeal and what is the general thinking on whether to engage a solicitor to assist.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
So sorry you have been turned down for CHC. There have been many, many posts on here about qualifying and not qualifying and it seems many people have need of a great deal of care but not the type of care covered by CHC. A certain amount of nursing care will be covered by them, around £108 a week I believe.

Hopefully someone will be along to give you some advise as to appealing.

Jay

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
many people have need of a great deal of care but not the type of care covered by CHC. A certain amount of nursing care will be covered by them, around £108 a week I believe.

The Nursing care element of Nursing home fees is paid by the government rather than the PCT which ,at present but for not much longer, is the body who pays for Continuing Health Care, so it is different and the criteria are less stringent.

I would suggest that if you want to appeal, you take Sue's advice and contact the AS support team. They gave me advice although I haven't moved forward very far due to the long backlog of retrospective claims!

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
As I mentioned in a reply to your Blog the NHS Continuing Care Volunteer Group gave me a lot of advice which helped me to make a success of my Appeal. It is no mean task and it took a lot of preparation and reading up of the National Framework but with their guidance I absorbed the parts that were important for our case.

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Aren't there different rules for people being discharged from hospital into a home? I had a feeling (but have no experience of) that a MDT HAD to assess someone in those circumstances?

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
hello i appealed against the loss of my husbands CHC last year sorry to say i didn,t get any where my daughter who is a sister at our local hospital put every thing together we covered everything but we went in front of a panel and we were still turned down .i didn,t know about the nhs volunteer group hope you have better luck Milly