Scared Mum will try & go to Scotland

Couplano

Sep 16, 2012
Lincoln
Hi,

I haven't posted for a while because life has been 'bimbling' along. I'll remind you of my circumstances; Dad has a terminal brain tumour, this has grown & he's about to start a 2nd line chemotherapy regime, we think he only has a few months left.

Mum has as yet undiagnosed dementia, she refused to go to her most recent psychogeriatric appointment, this was when I expected her to receive her diagnosis. Mum has become very anti me, I am an only child & have had to become very involved in their lives, being a nurse it has fallen to me to be fully aware of Dad's treatment, sort his medicatio & be much more in their lives than I ever have.

Mum has admitted to Dad that she is jealous of me & resents me because I am capable & competent. I have had to sort out many many crises, from ignored tax returns to uninsured & untaxed cars, missed appointments, unpaid bills etc etc.

Mum was originally from Scotland, she met Dad in Singapore in 1967 (they were both in the RAF). Unfortunately for Mum I came along in 1969, she never wanted & should never have had children (though I am kind of pleased she did!) To cut a long story short, we've never had the mother-daughter relationship I would have loved (& hope to have with my daughter), but we've got through it. She's only 66 & we think she's had & hidden her memory problems for the best part of a decade.

Whenever there's a blow up between her & Dad (& there are many of these), she says she's going to move to Scotland to what she calls her only family. She has a few cousins up there who she speaks to a few times a month. My fear is, that once she's on her own, she could try & go up there.

My question is, when she says she's going up to HER family (as she puts it), do I go along with it & change the subject as swiftly as possible? Do I tell her the blunt truth, which is that they don't want her landing on their doorstep (I have spoken to one cousin as I thought they should be aware of the situation & he made no encouraging noises about Mum visiting let alone moving there), they have their own lives & don't need or want an elderly relative with dementia to look out for. I've tried the 'don't you want to be around your daughter & grandchildren' tack, but she said we have our own lives & she wants to go to HER family.

I'm sorry to ramble on, sometimes putting things in print can help get thoughts in order. Thanks for reading.

Cathy

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
This sounds very much to me like the same sort of threat a small child having a tantrum after not getting it's own way wil issue - "I will run away"

My dad used to do this - one evening I got so fed up and worn down by his tantrum I told him that if he wanted to leave then he was welcome to do so and I wouldn't be stopping him. He was so shocked by this that he was calm and quiet the whole of that evening and of course the next day it was all forgotten!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sounds to me like it's the "I want to go home" statement that is said.
Only thought I have is contact her GP and let him know.
No real help I know, sorry.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I don't see why you can't reply telling it like it is.....eg "I have no problem with you going but they have said they are too busy to "accomodate" you ....?? I don't think this is unkind???

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
My mother did this occasionally. In the end she always came home again. She disappeared to Ireland for a while. We had contacts there who were very very kind but sent her on her way after a while. She went off to Wales too. She made such a nuisance of herself that intercity trains would stop where unscheduled - just to get rid of her. So she travelled without paying.
Scotland is a safe place full of decent people.
I am sure if she did go up there she would come to no harm. And she would probably not stay there.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I would just let her make her plans and go. Hope that does not sound too harsh. Possibly just the making of the plans will fall through.

You should concentrate on your Dad and yourself and family.

I am sure like Butter says she will come back.

Jeannette

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC