Not all dementia days are bad

KatieB

Nov 22, 2010
Glasgow
I haven't posted for a while becuase I just can't bear thinking about it all however I hada nice experience yesterday. On entering my parents' house I could feel the agitation. My dad was pacing and rummaging and muttering. after a short time he appeared in front of me with a pretty box and inside it was a lovely purse. "I bought it for you" he said. He hasn't ever bought me a gift before, not even when he was his old self. I haven't felt so happy (and a wee bit sad) for such a long time. :) Just thought I'd share this.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
What a treasure you have there Katie. It just goes to show that there is love hiding in the midst of dementia :)

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you for posting this KatieB.
There is so much suffering on the dementia path, and it is easy to learn to focus on the pain, loss and disasters. You are right. There are gems hidden away in all the mental chaos. Treasure that purse for it was given with thought and love.
Your post made glad reading. Give your Dad a hug from us both, BE

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
That is so lovely, the person is still there somewhere. You now have a precious memory of value beyond anything.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
That's so lovely ... brought a little tear to my eye and a smile to my face :)

When I visited my dad one day with a bit of a cold I caught him studying me very closely and frowning. His speech is not good and it's a real effort for him to construct a sentence, but he took a deep breath and said "oh dear - have you got the sniffles?" I suddenly felt like a little girl again-it was a bit overwhelming! Still, at least I could blame the teary eyes on my cold ;)

KatieB

Nov 22, 2010
Glasgow
I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about my little moment of happiness and how that glimmer of the person I once knew made me feel good. Here's to all of us! :)