Is an animal a good idea

Fozzy

Jan 4, 2013
Great yarmouth
Me and brother still live at home with our mum and we wondered whether getting mum a dog(pup) would be a good idea to keep her company?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I would imagine that as long as you and your brother are responsible for looking after the dog then it would be a good idea. I would imagine your mum wouldn't be able to care for the dog but would enjoy the company. I think if you two are willing to take on the full responsibility of caring for the dog then it would be fine. xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Other things to consider: If mum used to love dogs, will she still do so or will she, e.g., stand up whilst it is sitting on her lap? What kind of dog - some breeds are more suitable than others? Will she be disturbed by barking?

I agree with Izzy about your full responsibility for the dog - remembering it's for life.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think you would be much better off (if you choose to got this route) getting an older dog (not a puppy).

Has your mother had pets before?

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Agree with Jennifer, a pup needs a lot of time to make to obedient and trained, and is mostly hard work at first. A 5-year old dog might be ideal. There's loads of them in dogs homes desperate for a new owner. Or if your mum wants a less demanding animal, a cat is a good alternative (in my view, much preferred). No daily exercising needed, and no barking.

Love

Margaret

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
There are things that you need to consider outside of the dog needing exercised. Is your mum able to understand about the needs of the dog for example? My mother used to feed her dog anything and everything and the dog started to suffer as some of the food just wasn't suitable for her. In addition it was HER food she was feeding to the dog so she then started to lose weight. Another thing to consider is whether you have a secure garden and I mean secure - not one where the postie can leave the gate open. My mother lost her ability to consider any risks to the dog and would just open the door and let her out and she went missing quite a few times and was in danger obviously of getting knocked down by cars etc too.

In the end up we took the dog off her as the carers said that they weren't sure if the dog was being fed some days and maybe fed 3 times the next day. It wasn't fair to the animal to put it to that amount of risk. Interestingly too is that my mother very soon forgot she'd ever had a dog BUT we did then have to reconsider her security because Tess had been a great guard dog for her!

Just trying to give you some things to consider before taking the plunge.

Fiona

Just thinking

May 7, 2008
North west
Puppy

I got a puppy back in November and believe me, it's hard work! Go for an older dog - they say retired Greyhounds are wonderful companion dogs who love to laze by the fire. They're NOT the exercise fiends you might think them to be.

How about a CAT? :)

zeeeb

I wouldn't go for a pup either, they can be quite annoying getting under your feet. I'd go for perhaps a cat, they generally don't over eat like dogs, so if they get fed twice or thrice, it is less likely to cause health issues. They also don't tend to want to be fed human food with their begging and cute begging eyes.

julientuareg

Nov 11, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
my partner has always loved dogs and one of his great joys was to take them for a walk. Now of course that means that I need to go too (not a bad thing). However apart from the walking he now practically ignores the dog except when he wants to dispose of food which he doesnt want to eat. In early stages I would say a good idea to have a pet, in later stages not so and definitely not a puppy.
Working in the field I have seen many an animal have to be "rescued" from people with AD. One lady used to walk her dog every couple of minutes, another used to lock her "naughty" cat in a cupboard.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi Fozzy,
A dog can be a wonderful comfort. When Sharon was in the early stages we got her an older lapdog and it was the best thing. I don't think a pup would be a good choice as they need a lot of attention and are very demanding. As time goes on your mum's needs will become increasingly time consuming. Caring for a dog also will put an increasing burden on your brother and yourself, so try to find one that doesn't need long walks or lots of grooming but is happy to be around the house and take whatever attention it gets.

Good luck.

Me and brother still live at home with our mum and we wondered whether getting mum a dog(pup) would be a good idea to keep her company?

SnowLeopard17

Nov 23, 2011
Hampshire,UK
Dogs can be very therapeutic but i agree with others that a puppy is not the way to go.

My husband is able to borrow our neighbours dog for 'therapy' purposes. Together we take the dog out for walks and occasionally he will sit and play with 'his' dog. We are lucky we have this resource but maybe this is something that is not accessible to yourselves?

We got a kitten 4 years ago pre diagnosis. At times, for various reasons, this was a disastrous decision, but she is still with us. With hindsight i would not have gone ahead. I have to hide her food these days in case she gets feed too often (she will eat anything and everything given to her). She is however independent and can let herself out (catflap)for exercise and toileting purposes :)

Dogs,however, need more attention.

with love, Snowleopard x

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
A puppy is not a good idea as a pet for someone with dementia, in my opinion. Not only will Pup need housetraining, but you have to seriously consider whether your Mum is able to cope with the responsibility.

If you are considering a dog then an older animal from a reputable organisation is a much better bet, but you must consider what to do should your Mum become unable to care properly for a pet.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Is there a danger of falling over a dog and injuries, have known this to happen when an older person was suddenly bought a dog.

Caution with retired greyhounds, I'm told that, as they have lived in kennels all their lives, they are not house trained so poo & pee problem unless they are trained.

Officer

Dec 1, 2012
dogs - bless them

Having dogs can with the right temperament, be a great help. They reply to all care with care, and with a routine it will help the ability to keep one. Trained right they can even find your way home if one gets confused. The shear affection they can give can focus the attention of all the family. But beware they must be introduced in the early stages of the condition so that habits can be set into the family routine. Yes there are pitfalls, and it may fail, but it can work, I know by experience. All the best Officer.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Go for a small dog about 1-2yr old for your mum. You want a small dog that can go up next to her so she can stroke and cuddle it. My husband is 62 and still waiting to find out what type of Dementia he has. He was so bored because I work part time and he was snoozing all the time. I brought up the idea and it was the best thing we have done since we found out he had Dementia. We decided to go for a puppy because we have 2 young grandchildren. Our Yorkie is 6mths old now and great with the grandchildren and my husbands best of pal. This small dog has brought so much life into my husbands life.

Kathleen1980

Jan 20, 2013
Has anyone heard of " dementia dogs? "

Hello,
I read an article about a dementia dogs project in Scotland - they were a bit like guide dogs - and I wondered if anyone has one or has heard of this as a help?

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
possibly an old dog who needs a home and is small...but only if you will both supervise its care and be able to look after the dog if mum can't....as for dementia dogs..as I have said before, what a lot to ask of the poor dogs..just provide funding for decent/adequate home care!!