the difference

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
a good residential home makes :cool:

Last year was the pits , my dad went from hospital then to home then to hospital and then to an EMI assessment ward ( there 7 mnths ) .

The stress on my dad , and on family was just off the scale ( not wishing to go into just how bad things were as the standard of care was shocking )

My dad is now in a great CH , he resently had a couple of days in hospital but is now back at the care home.

He is still unsettled, wants to go home ect. BUT he is physically and mentally so much better than he was . He is going places and doing things with the help of the carer's and he has the company of other men so plays dominoes ect. he has a busyier social life that I do :D

I finally feel that my every moment is not filled with worry and dread of phone calls telling me that things are happening ( like him going missing from the secure ward and him covered in bruises ect. )

I feel that he is cared for 24 /7 with respect and friendliness . He eats well and is warm and safe :)

He is in a place that meets his needs and ours and it SHOWS :D

Sometimes residential care can be just the ticket to make life as it should be , enjoyable and not filled with stress and depression.

My dad is not easy by any means but this residential home have risen to the challenges he presents and are like a ray of sunshine :)

Just wanted to say that sometimes a residential placement can make a real positive difference to the quality of life of the person experiencing the Altzehimers journey and to the family who are supporting as best they can.

I read so many posts from carers who are struggling and it just makes me so sad that in many instances the care systems focus on independent living means that the journey can be incredibly difficult and leave carers emotionally drained and scarred by the difficulties they faced often alone or with minimal support.

I know residential care is not what everyone wants but for those that are faced with the prospect dont see it as a failure please it can open the door to a much better situation.

JUST ALSO WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU TO THE GOOD CARE HOMES AND CARERS OUT THERE THAT MAKE SUCH A WONDERFUL A DIFFERENCE TO US ALL.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Thats lovely to hear Supporter1 and I totally echo your sentiments!

Although gran doesnt want to be in her CH she also didnt want to be at home either. Instead she is well fed and looked after and physically and mentally the best i have seen her in years.

So many fight to keep their relatives at home to the cost of their own health, it breaks my heart that society leaves these carers so unsupported.

I know for me, my gran, and my family i have made the right choice too!

Claire

Mar 31, 2004
Coventry
I couldn't agree more - a good care home, and they do exist, can make a tremendous difference to everyone involved. Mum's home was excellent and her last years were spent in a warm and loving environment - she was so comfortable there. What I didn't expect was the tremendous support given to the families of the residents as well - it felt like being part of a family.