Befriending service

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
No, but I know some of the AS branches are training volunteers for this work. My Son in Law has started doing it and he has had a thorough interview, training and CRB check. Its worth asking at your local branch.

Its possible that some Crossroads, Admiral Nurses and Age UK branches offer the same service. Any such service must be reliant on suitable volunteers.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Jan. I have been given a contact number of someone to contact for details. I just wondered how it works and what befrienders do?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Well my SIL has been allocated a gentleman and initially he is just going to the home and spending a few hours chatting whilst the wife (carer) does other things. He plans to take him out when ready, but for the present the sufferer prefers to be at home but has enjoyed chatting about his earlier life.

He (SIL) is not expected to do any personal care - eg toileting although he will take him there and wait outside.

I am sure you if you telephone the local charities you will get the correct information of what they can offer.

Ria B

Dec 27, 2012
North Yorkshire
My Mum has a lady be-friender from Alzheimer's society and she is lovely, comes once a week to chat to Mum, has taken her out on an odd occasion for a coffee but Mum's partner is living at Mum's at the moment and he has terminal cancer so she does not like to leave him (even though he is more capable than Mum at this moment in time) The be-friender also contacts me regularly to up-date me.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi I have been a Befriender since losing mum I visit 2 ladies every week one lady loves to go out so weather permitting we go and have a coffee on the sea front or visit a garden centre we both get a lot out of my visits The other lady likes to stay in we sit and talk and put the world to rights I should stay for 1hr or 2 but its usually more like 3 to 5 I love doing it and hope to carry on even when I get back to work Larivy

krissymc

Sep 24, 2012
hi larivy

I thing what you do befriending is a really nice thing to do. Do you go into care homes has well. When I visit my mum the other residents, many of whom dont ever have any visitors, come over and talk to me, asking me questions and general chit chat.When my mother is not feeling sociable(often) I enjoy talking to them, but my mum gets very upset and shouts at them to go away. Most of the residents in the EMI care home dont communicate with each other, but when a stranger appears they all want to talk to them.

shark2

Aug 22, 2012
n ireland
Hi., a befriender comes 1 night a week to sit with my mum. Shes a lovely young girl. They have a cuppa and a chat. She comes at 8 and stays til10.then mum goes up to bed. I'm so grateful for a young girl to do this and give me a break.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi krissymc no I don't visit care homes but that's a good idea I will mention it to my manager the GPs sponser the befriender service I'm hoping to get my westie bertie passed as a pat dog he loves people and I think he would be good at it

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi AG - we run a Befriender service at work, phone and personal visit befriending and there are others in the area.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to pm me and I will answer where I can :)

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I admire people like you Larivy. What you do is invaluable. I met one of mum's carers tonight who does her tablets. They are supposed to do 15 mins. This lovely girl chats with mum, makes her a cup of tea, washes up and listens to all mum's stories. So patient and caring. She's so busy and told me she has two small children too. Total admiration. I told her that too!

Thanks CeliaW. A lady from Alz Society emailed me today and said it shouldn't be a problem to set it up. Will take about 8 weeks from her visit. I am thinking of maybe asking if someone could go food shopping with her, although she seems ok to do this I think she would benefit from someone with her and also someone coming home with her, especially after her fall today.

Now all I have to do is convince mum without her thinking I'm getting her more help. Should be a piece of cake ;) :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, much appreciated xxx

Ria B

Dec 27, 2012
North Yorkshire
Hi Anongirl

You say your Mum has a career to do her tablets, where does the career come from, did you organise it privately or is it through social services? How many times a day does she/will they come to do this?

Ria

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Ria. It was organised through Social Services. The memory service referred her to them. They came round and did an assessment. They come morning and evening as that is when she needs to take her tablets. They do a financial assessment too.

Hope this helps x

Ria B

Dec 27, 2012
North Yorkshire
Hi Ria. It was organised through Social Services. The memory service referred her to them. They came round and did an assessment. They come morning and evening as that is when she needs to take her tablets. They do a financial assessment too.

Hope this helps x

Thank you for that.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
They rang me today to say they have a girl in her early twenties who would be interested in being a befriender for mum. I was surprised she is so young, I don't know why but I expected it would be someone a bit older. When I told mum she was really positive about it and said she's looking forward to meeting her. I couldn't ask for more.

We've had a rough day today. Mum is very down and starting to think "what's the point" so that phone call could not have come at a better time. Hope it works out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso