CHC/fast track

themeddemans

Jan 1, 2013
My 87 year old mum in advanced stages of Alzheimer's has a lot of other health issues.Have been battling to get a CHC assessment and funding. Always that question of 'Primary Health Need' which I expect a lot of you will know about. Have used Internet for fact sheets from almost every corner of the UK...when I read the NHS booklet, one minute I think that something is applicable then they wriggle out of it by different wording! THEN, sadly, four days before Christmas she was diagnosed with Non Hogkins Lymphoma (that has been growing for 18 months) with about 6 months to live. I rang the PCT with the diagnosis ,saying what more health need do you need than the fact that she is going to die soon? I was told the time for Fast Track is 12 weeks and yet in the fact sheet page concerning 'End of life care' it states:'this can be supported by a prognosis but strict time limits for life expectancy is not relevant and should not be imposed'. Please can anyone help?

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
I wish I could but sadly no. I hope that you get the help you so desperately need urgently. Can the GP help?

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
My advice would be to make sure you have all your mum's medical records, G.P notes, and care home notes including MAR charts etc. The G.P will probably charge for copying them, I was charged £50, but the care home notes were copied free of charge as they belong to the person paying the fees.

I was awarded CHC funding for the full two and a half years my dad was in care which I could never have done without the records. Good Luck

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
I this were me I would send a letter to senior of the CHC at the appropriate PCT - say you Appeal against the decision on the basis of her current diagnosis, try to enclose a copy of this and also clearly quote as you have done in your post, giving details of the page and factsheet bolding and underlining as I have done:
in the fact sheet page concerning 'End of life care' it states:'this can be supported by a prognosis but strict time limits for life expectancy is not relevant and should not be imposed'

Make sure you keep a copy of the letter and I recommend registered post so that no one can deny receiving it.

You really should not have to fight this whilst you are dealing with the emotional distress caused by your Mother's illness.

hopeful56

Jun 17, 2009
Midlands
So sorry to hear about your mum. I would suggest you contact your local hospice and ask them to visit and advise about your mum. Most hospices have a Hospice at Home service. My mum's local hospice had a lot of influence in us achieving CHC under the fast track system - mum only has AD rather than a malignant disease. No time limit was imposed or discussed.

Good luck.

themeddemans

Jan 1, 2013
Hi...Cheryl here...Marrianne,Becky Jane and Hopeful 56 thank you...no charge so far for doc notes. Nominal fee for hospital notes...care home notes good idea...To the PCT I quoted the info on counsel and care .org.uk about "time limits for end of life expectancy should not be imposed " and lo and behold an assessment has been arranged for next thurs with me there...will take all notes with me including care home input. If this works, I will you you all know...I am receiving great support from you all and if we succeed, maybe I can help others.