Are you depressed?

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jenniferpa said:
Well I think you took the words out of mine, Brenda! That's an exact description of how I feel when I'm depressed (am I using your brain, or are you using mine?) :D

Maybe we're sharing one. :D We are in different time zones after all! I often wake up in the morning feeling really tired and headachy - you've obviously been using half of my brain all night :eek:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Alfjess

I think your symptoms sound more like anxiety than depression, but I'm not a doctor either.

The not wanting to see people could be a symptom of either -- lethargy caused by depression, or panic caused by stress. It's very difficult to tell the difference.

I certainly think you should see your GP. You've had so much stress recently with your parents, and it could be that the GP can give you something short-term that will see you through until you get them settled.

Hopefully then you'll be able to relax a bit more.

Take care,

Love,

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Maybe when I have Mum and Dad sorted out in respite, with a review for permanent care, I will make an appointment with my GP.

I think I am stressed and anxious, which comes as quite a surprise to me. I am usually quite laid back and my attitude normally is "what will be will be" or "no one's dying, it can be fixed"

Maybe that is the problem, this illness can't be fixed.

If respite can be arranged for Mum and Dad next week and I have the energy, I will make appointments with GP, for a chat and for all of the checks for which I have had letters asking me to attend and stupidly disregarded as something I will get around to

Thanks again
alfjess

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
alfjess said:
Hi

If respite can be arranged for Mum and Dad next week and I have the energy, I will make appointments with GP, for a chat and for all of the checks for which I have had letters asking me to attend and stupidly disregarded as something I will get around to

Thanks again
alfjess

I think lots of us have been there, done that and got the t shirt! However, you have to try to remember that your own health is at least equally as important as anyone elses. Even if you were to look at it from a totally unselfish point of view, you have to consider that you won't be able to look after and look out for your mum and dad if you get ill.

Now, can you do me a favour and remind me of that sometime - because I can be my own worst enemy and neglect my own health shamefully, whilst worrying about how my mum and my son are, and going to battle for them :eek:

pizzapie

Apr 25, 2007
Yes, remember that older Alzheimer's patients have had a lot more life (and fun) than their carers in the past. Also you have to ask yourself does your monumental sacrifice as a carer even have a point? Do they, the sufferers really need you that much? Are you sure you are not suffering from a syndrome known as "grandiosity" i.e. you think you are more important to them than you actually are! Some of you see yourselves as "indispensible", but in reality you are not. If you die, others will take over from you and look after your dear ones (for instance the siblings that can't be bothered now, because you are prepared to do all the work). Wake up and smell the coffee, a lot of you are being exploited, by other relatives and the sufferer!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
With all due respect, I think we may have a newly registered troll in our midst (look at pizzapie's other posts). I would suggest we leave this to the mods to sort out and ignore it.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Poor pizzapie, she/he/it certainly does remind me of someone. Least said.....................ssssssshhhhhhhhh

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I think the problem is when you literally can't get out of bed in the morning, despite knowing that there are no major problems in your life at the time

That could be a sigh of real clinical depression or another mental disorder

Saw my brother go like that at the age of 18.

I would also say that Afjess is depress and I am not doctor also, I only know , because I have felt like that and find that underneath depression is a lot of anger that need to come out , because I know when I go for a walk let out that energy I feel so much better , when I spoke out to my brother CPN and he listen and guided me back to recognize, what has lead me to feel like I am feeling I feel so much better , I am seeing a physiologist soon , as that is who I ask my doctor to do the referral to he tell me what best therapy they is that they can offer me , so my brother CPN told me to open up talk to physiologist so he can give me the best therapy he thinks I need , because I am not going to take ant depression tablet, not only is caring for my mother depressive in its self , but I have other unresolved issue that I have never addressed from my past that is coming out now, because I have so much time on my hand and am thinking the past into my now . am learning to recognize it with talk therapy

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Brenda

I will try to remind you of your wise words to me, after I try to get myself sorted.

That is if I rememember:D

Thanks everyone, I will visit the GP, although to-day, has been good, Mum and Dad went to Daycare, It's unusual for both to go.

I had no awareness of heart beating (thumping) no breathlessness, infact I felt normally heathly.

So it was a good day.

Alfjess