Mum has started watching Playboy Channel!!!

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Hello
I saw an earlier thread where someone zigzag mentioned the grabbing of boobs. And the same thing was happening to me, in Sainsburys, at home, whereever.

Mum kept saying why are you boobs so big? HUH!

Then she started watching the naughty sky channels (the previews before anyone says cancel your subscription).

Then someone replied that this usually happens when their person with dementia has a UTI or is constipated. Is there really a connection? Just wondered as mum was hospitalised recently with UTI. thanks

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Uti s cause all kinds of problems with dementia. My husband is very confused and most certainly not himself when has an infection.. Thankfully we have avoided these now for some weeks.

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Uti s cause all kinds of problems with dementia. My husband is very confused and most certainly not himself when has an infection.. Thankfully we have avoided these now for some weeks.

Well, my mum was suffering terrible dizziness. She had two falls in the bathroom, banged her head on the bath. Oh the GP prescribed anti sickness pills, said she had vertigo. What a load of rubbish. Anyway, after a week of diarrhea I took her to A&E. They found an infection in her urine. I bet that is why a couple of weeks before she started with dizzy spells (oh and hello she had been out of hospital two weeks prior with ruptured gallbladder and catheter- which is well known for causing urine infections).

Since coming home she has not complained once of dizzy spells, funny that.

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
Uti's and dehydration in my fathers case caused severe confusion and behavioural changes. He was self limiting drinks for a while. when he was still able to rationalise, he knew he was incontinent, and worked out that drinking meant having to get out of the chair to go to the loo, and worse, possibly a moody row from and 'end of her tether' wife because of another wet bed. So we found tea and juice in the plant pots. I always knew when he was low on fluids because he would say the most strange and sometimes inappropriate things! Then of course he would get a uti...and on it went.

And. Yes...he was incredibly dizzy! Two or three falls and hospitalised. Low sodium and potassium they said, from the dehydration.

Last edited:

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
UTI etched in my brain

I will always ask for urine to be analysed from now on. Just cannot believe that the simplest of tests can help avoid such distress for patient and carer. Seriously

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
When I suspect dehydration and see the signs I give dad dioralyte disguised in his juice. It has worked so far, no more falls!

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Very Helpful

When I suspect dehydration and see the signs I give dad dioralyte disguised in his juice. It has worked so far, no more falls!

How can doctors not think about UTI as a cause? I am baffled? I know mum doesn't drink a lot. Should I give it to her like once a fortnight to be on safeside?

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
Lack of thirst, and no inclination to eat and drink is quite well known in dementia I think. My dad has to be constantly nagged to drink or he would drink nothing at all. He just never gets thirsty and even if he has to drink to take his pills, he looks almost in pain swallowing water. He seems to have a real aversion to water. He used to love his tea, but even that just sits in the cup going cold. If I stand over him and tell him that he must drink half a cup of Ribena he will do it, but I have to almost demand it and keep saying'take another sip dad, just one more' until he has finished the small glass.

I have no medical training, but our GP told me to give dad dioralyte at least once every day if I suspected dehydration. I give him it once a day for a couple of days, and see a big difference in his coherence. You could also try a banana a day, which is good for potassium and might stop falls and dizziness.

Nb...dioralyte is basically salts and essential minerals and electrolytes. It is recommended six times a day for a healthy person with diharrea. It should not be given in large amounts if there is any heart or conduction problem As potassium and sodium can affect conduction. But our GP,said it was perfectly safe to give a sachet once a day for two days if dad was dehydrated...dark circles under eyes, dark yellow urine, talking rubbish lol

However, best to check with your GP before giving it if you have any concerns

Last edited:

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Lack of thirst, and no inclination to drink is quite well known in dementia I think. My dad has to be constantly nagged to drink or he would drink nothing at all. He just never gets thirsty and even if he has to drink to take his pills, he looks almost in pain swallowing water. He seems to have a real aversion to water. He used to love his tea, but even that just sits in the cup going cold. If I stand over him and tell him that he must drink half a cup of Ribena he will do it, but I have to almost demand it and keep saying'take another sip dad, just one more' until he has finished the small glass.

I have no medical training, but our GP told me to give dad dioralyte at least once every day if I suspected dehydration. I give him it once a day for a couple of days, and see a big difference in his coherence. You could also try a banana a day, which is good for potassium and might stop falls and dizziness.

You just reminded me the hospital doctor did say she was low on potassium. Mum has lost an awful lot of weight in the past couple of months. She hardly eats what she used to and I see her eating no fruit. So I will do dioralyte at least twice a week to start.

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
My father is down from 12 stone to about seven and a half since the start of this illness, and lost about a stone in the last two months. We see no inclination to drink or eat, no appetite at all. No anticipation for food. Half of his meals end up in his pockets or thrown out of windows!

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Gosh. Mum hardly ate for a week when she had diarrhea. Then in hospital another week eating one slice of toast and tea a day. Type 2 diabetic, so dehydration and no doubt low blood sugar. Very tricky to handle.

Do you know I went to buy her a new coat today. Her old one said size 20. I thought what hell no way!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought much smaller size. That is how much she has changed just like your dad.

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
You just reminded me the hospital doctor did say she was low on potassium. Mum has lost an awful lot of weight in the past couple of months. She hardly eats what she used to and I see her eating no fruit. So I will do dioralyte at least twice a week to start.

Just a heads up.....dioralyte tastes pretty vile unless hidden in something like orange, or Ribena. Even then dad screws up his face. If you can get the American drink 'Gatorade' it tastes better. Some larger supermarkets have it and it has the same ingredients. Or try sports drinks which you can get in any supermarket, even lucosade at a push.

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
OK great You know I one had to miss a flight for a 5 year reunion in the States. My head was dizzy i couldn't get up. Got dioralyte and I started to feel human again. This dehydration lark I tell you. So crazy. I have no idea how my mum was feeling.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Then someone replied that this usually happens when their person with dementia has a UTI or is constipated. Is there really a connection? Just wondered as mum was hospitalised recently with UTI. thanks

Sudden changes or declines can be caused by UTI's (or indeed, any health problem, but UTI's are espescially notorious - so much so that any doctor confronted with sudden changes in a dementia patient will make looking for a UTI the first thing they do). This is espescially the case in someone with Alzheimer's since sudden declines do not fit the way that illness can be expected to progress.

Usually, the changes associated witha UTI are quite dramatic and severe. They improve when the problem is treated (same with constipation)

However, it is also the case that everyone with dementia will inevitably decline - the diseases makethis unavoidable.

So your mum's changes in behavior may simply be a normal progression of her dementia. The behavior your describe could be caused by changes in her personality - in turn caused by changes to the physical structure of her brain - or simply disinhibition, which is usually the person simply forgetting the life-long process of learnt social behaviors, or, what is acceptable socially and appropriate and what is not.

Most children are uncomfortable with the concept of their parents as sexual beings. It is quite possible that your mum has always had these inclinations but of course, has never before actually expressed them - espescially in front of you.

Whilst her wtaching the adult channels is uncomfortable to you it is probably a harmless outlet for her feelings.

The Society has a section on "Sex and Dementia" and there is a subsection that deals with changes in levels of inhibitions

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=129

It is of course worth checking for a UTI - a simple dipstick test can identify this - but it's equally possible that this is just progression of the dementia.

Sudden declines are "normal" in someone with vascular dementia. If your mum has not been diagnosed with this then it is worth a medical check since she may have developed that disease or had a mini-stroke. Having Alzheimer's does not preclude other forms of dementia, you can have more than one, which is called "mixed"

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just a warning regarding potassium. My husband cannot eat bananas though he loves them as he has kidney disease and resulting high potassium level - so ensure that these levels are ok before giving bananas regularily.

sweetmole

Sep 8, 2012
Sudden changes or declines can be caused by UTI's (or indeed, any health problem, but UTI's are espescially notorious - so much so that any doctor confronted with sudden changes in a dementia patient will make looking for a UTI the first thing they do). This is espescially the case in someone with Alzheimer's since sudden declines do not fit the way that illness can be expected to progress.

Usually, the changes associated witha UTI are quite dramatic and severe. They improve when the problem is treated (same with constipation)

However, it is also the case that everyone with dementia will inevitably decline - the diseases makethis unavoidable.

So your mum's changes in behavior may simply be a normal progression of her dementia. The behavior your describe could be caused by changes in her personality - in turn caused by changes to the physical structure of her brain - or simply disinhibition, which is usually the person simply forgetting the life-long process of learnt social behaviors, or, what is acceptable socially and appropriate and what is not.

Most children are uncomfortable with the concept of their parents as sexual beings. It is quite possible that your mum has always had these inclinations but of course, has never before actually expressed them - espescially in front of you.

Whilst her wtaching the adult channels is uncomfortable to you it is probably a harmless outlet for her feelings.

The Society has a section on "Sex and Dementia" and there is a subsection that deals with changes in levels of inhibitions

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=129

It is of course worth checking for a UTI - a simple dipstick test can identify this - but it's equally possible that this is just progression of the dementia.

Sudden declines are "normal" in someone with vascular dementia. If your mum has not been diagnosed with this then it is worth a medical check since she may have developed that disease or had a mini-stroke. Having Alzheimer's does not preclude other forms of dementia, you can have more than one, which is called "mixed"

Hello
Many thanks for your advice. I actually find the Playboy channel thing funny now to be honest.

But I will keep an eye on the UTI issue. Is the dip test something I can do at home? Or the hospital has to do it? I am sure her dizzy spells were to do with a UTI starting. Very common I understand after using a catheter for long periods.

As for vascular dementia, I will look into this. I have an appointment with her consultant in January so I will as about this.

I have been told that UTI can be because of poor hygiene habits. Any advice on how to improve? Very hard to get mum to shower on daily basis. Hell even weekly basis.

My dad told me that he has not seen her shower in like a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He never told me.