Antidepressants

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Yes to both of those. but I wish I had not let it get to where things were totally desperate.

I am not one to use pills, so Prozac was my last resort. It did calm everything down enough so that a very gradual improvement could occour. I was pleased to stop them.

Counselling is still ongoing, expensive but keeps me in one piece. There are so many things you just can't say to your nearest and dearest, it's just too painful for them to hear.

If you like alternative therapies, I found acupuncture useful. I had to find one who uses the pain free technique, as I am a real coward around needles. Bach Flowers were another useful thing, still in use now when things get rough.

Gxx

gassie

Feb 28, 2011
Hello Anongirl, yes I am on a low dose of antidepressants and it has helped keep me calm and more able to cope in looking after my husband. I tried counselling and although it might be good for some, I felt it was not for me. From my point of view it is not about me, but more about my husband and how I can understand how this terrible illness is affecting him. I attend the Alzheimer's Carers group meeting once a month which I feel helps a lot more than the counselling.

I do feel that antidepressants can be used as a crutch, but if it helps us in coping, then why not?

Gassie

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Yes to both, Anongirl.

Counselling didn't help me very much (well, it was called Talk Therapy, but I think it was a form of counselling). Although it was good to have someone to talk to, someone I could say anything to without having to worry about their feelings. The sessions were cathartic, but unfortunately didn't help me very much really, in the long term.

So then I started on antidepressants, Citalopram. After months and months of feeling terrible, I started to feel better just six days later. I still have down days, and anxious times and worry a lot, but I definitely cope much better with it all and don't feel so bogged down and tearful.

I know some people don't want to take them, and I respect that, but those little tablets have really helped me to cope and if my mental well being depends on taking one little pill a day, then I'm happy to do that for as long as I need to.

Hope my experience has helped you.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you all! I really expected the odd "tablets are not the answer" posts, I'm relieved!

I'm really at a point now where I need to think of ways to get me through the bad days. I'm no good to anyone when I'm snappy and feel at my wits end. I saw my GP today and burst into tears. She was very sympathetic. I feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. She said some people find counselling helpful but others don't. She said the tablets might just help me to deal with things better, see things clearer without feeling so out of control. I never thought I would turn to pills to help me but anything which helps to lift this cloud off me I would welcome.

I said I would consider the options and she gave me some information.

Collegegirl you said what I was thinking on my drive home from the docs. If one little pill a day helps me get through this, then so be it. I have to consider it as an option.

I guess everyone copes in different ways, some days I think I'm ok then other days I'm bursting into tears with strangers! X

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi Like Collegegirl I take a small dose of Citolapram each day and it does help.
I came off them at the end off last year and I could not belive how ill I felt, my Doctor said although my husband was now in a nursing home I was dealing with end of life issues and needed the tablets just as much, so I went back on them .

I still take them, as you say if it takes one small tablet to keep me on an even keel I`ll keep taking them.
All the best to you
Roseann x

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi

I've had 20mg citalopram prescribed twice now, the first time was 9 years ago we had for married abroad, party the day after we got home, moved house 2 days later and a hole load of other things on top involving dogs, gas, house nearly blowing up, smashed wedding presents and an eaten George Forman grill (the German shepherd objected to not having a dog flap so the kitchen got it!!!). I was so low I couldn't function and had 6 weeks off work, I forced myself back as my pay was stopping.

The 2nd time was just before mum was diagnosed last year, I knew there was a problem and had been saying so for a good couple of years, mum was wandering, I was getting SOS calls from dad who mum was hitting, I'd just had a baby and was coping with her, her brothers, my hubby, mum and dad and frankly I just couldn't do it. I knew I was not feeling great, knew the signs of the slippery slope I was heading down from previous experience and went to see the doc.

I think If you know you don't feel yourself and you can feel you're on that slope the best thing you can do is see the GP.

Some people have their own views on 'happy pills' as myself and my friend call them but some of us need them. There is no shame in taking them and I always feel better just knowing that I have done something to help myself.

Take care and let us know how you get on and if you start to feel a bit better.

Sharon

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
You could take a depression test online. To qualify as depressed you need to fulfill a certain number of 'depressed' criteria. So if you are depressed, then antidepressants might be just the ticket.

I have been on them once (not Alz related), and the difference was quite astonishing. I slept well and woke refreshed. My doc explained that depressed thinking shuts down neural pathways, and our options seem less and less ,as our thinking gets narrower and narrower. After a few weeks I felt his description was correct, I was much more open to things. I remember noise used to drive me crazy. Zero tolerance for TV, radio, music and it is that I regret in my kids' youth.... I simply could not watch TV, it was worse than running a back to back marathon, so incredibly tiring.

Many years later, and I stayed on those pills for about a year and a half, I am still depression-free. Dementia is challenging, but it is encouraging for me to be aware that I am NOT depressed.

Remember most anti-depressants take about 6 weeks before you really feel the lift. And if you don't feel any better after 6 weeks, tell your doctor and ask for another kind (active ingredient), as not all work on all of us.

Before you go to doc, I would make a list of your symptoms. It makes me feel so much more coherent to be able to describe my ailment as is, and not have to scrabble for examples of depressed behaviour when caught on the hop.

Keep us informed of how this works out for you. Feeling good and happy is really worth striving for, and I spend a lot of my time meditating now.

Yoga nidra is 'sleep' yoga, a deeply relaxing yoga, where you systematically relax each muscle in turn which helps stop all the nervous energy and reptilian-brained anxiety circuits from being loud and dominant. I could PM you instructions if you like. This is my life saver and I personally think I have never been so stable and emotionally well since starting last March.

I really hope you feel better soon and you are brave and very responsible for posting this. Well done. Here is to mental stability and happiness, BE

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks BE. To be honest I think my symptoms are predominantly of anxiety. In general I don't feel terribly depressed on a day to day basis. I feel happy when I'm with my children, husband and my friends and when I can relax I feel positive. Then I'll think of mum, at home alone, possibly feeling unhappy or confused. Or I'll wonder if she's ok while she's out and I feel sad, guilty even, for having my life away from her. Sometimes I don't sleep well because if my little boy wakes me up I lie there thinking about her uncertain future so I wake up tired which makes the anxiety worse. Perhaps this gives me an element of depression? I guess it's a complicated business our thoughts and feelings.

Today was probably a good day to see the GP. I was late because I was dealing with a number of phone calls related to the carer not turning up this morning. By the time I got there I was angry, exhausted, and down right fed up. Which is why I cried. She probably thinks I'm a complete wreck! X

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi again Anongirl,
Thanks BE. To be honest I think my symptoms are predominantly of anxiety. In general I don't feel terribly depressed on a day to day basis. I feel happy when I'm with my children, husband and my friends and when I can relax I feel positive. Then I'll think of mum, at home alone, possibly feeling unhappy or confused. Or I'll wonder if she's ok while she's out and I feel sad, guilty even, for having my life away from her. Sometimes I don't sleep well because if my little boy wakes me up I lie there thinking about her uncertain future so I wake up tired which makes the anxiety worse. Perhaps this gives me an element of depression? I guess it's a complicated business our thoughts and feelings.

The antidepressant I took was to relieve anxiety. I too didn't feel depressed, not low at all. Just the anxiety, circular thoughts that started up as soon as I tried to go to sleep at night..... that then carried over into worry about my (then) young kids..... worry about the house getting damaged during storms (I still sleep badly if there is any wind).... basically my reasons for anxiety were many but not pertinent, the real issue was I spent most of my waking time and all my time in bed barring a couple of hours post dawn when I could sleep, being worried and thinking worried thoughts.

The antidepressant I took was Lexapro, I think. Worked a treat for anxiety and I got the best, most relaxing sleep of my life and I started to enjoy life again.

Do a few on-line depression tests. That should help you determine what is going on.
I am wishing you best possible outcomes. Nothing bad in taking an antidepressant. It is one tiny pill once a day. Lots of people knock back caffiene, booze, or overdose on TV or whatever to cope. Having taken antidepressants and seen what they can do, assuming you get the right ones to treat your 'brand' of depression (anxiety-based), well, lets put it this way, I am perfectly prepared to swallow one pill a day to feel much much more open, happy, rested and so on.

Thinking of you in this tough corner. Love BE

AnneD

Dec 3, 2012
Derbyshire
Hi Anongirl

On reading your post, I felt I was reading about me! I have taken anti-depressants in the past and they certainly helped me to cope with Mum. At the time I had other difficulties in my life as well. I don't feel the need for them now as Mum is now in a CH and i know she is being well looked after, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Doctor for them if I needed too. (A glass of wine is what I have if i am having a bad day at the moment:)

I could never understand why people needed them - but I certainly do now. if they help don't hesitate to use them.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Anne

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Anne. If my mum lived in an environment with people around her, chatting to her, and I knew she was safe (such as a CH), I know I would feel better. Sometimes she can spend all day if she stays at home not speaking to anyone except me. She's still able to do things for herself, don't get me wrong. I just spoke to her and she's over the moon because the carer who came tonight to do her tablets made her a cup of tea and had a chat. Apart from her moderate confusion I worry about her feeling lonely.

Thank you for your support. I feel better tonight x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I havent tried antidepressants - but I would never say never. I have referred myself to our local Carers Forum who have a counselling service as I'd like to try this before I think about medication BUT everyone is different and I certainly wouldnt be against them if I thought they would work for me.

Although I used to work at a University in a Counsellor Training support role I have never had any Counselling myself and feel quite nervous about it - but I feel the need to unburden myself to someone completely non judgemental and detached. There is a charge for it but it is voluntary. They estimate that the overheads for each one hour session amount to around £15 but this is much cheaper than a private counsellor, and you dont have to give the full amount if you feel you cant afford it.

No doubt I will let everyone know how it goes!! I know from experience that its not for everyone.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Kingmidas, I feel like I have spent my day with you today! I think I would benefit from talking to someone detached from my situation too. I felt a bit better just chatting to my GP today. I have asked her to refer me but to be honest I'm not entirely sure if I will go or not. I am keeping my options open for now. Not sure when I would get the time to go either, I feel like I'm juggling a lot of balls right now!

I'd love to hear how you get on.

I've just had a big bowl of trifle, sometimes it's the simplest things that make me feel better :) x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you all for your replies, it's always good to hear other people's point of view.

Shash7677, I had to smile about the George Forman grill and the German shepherd! I know I shouldn't! ;) xxx

stressed51

Jan 3, 2012
wales
This thread is so interesting as I've been considering going to the Drs. I really did think I would feel better with OH in f/t NH, but in reality i'm struggling, in work, getting to sleep, getting up -everything and anything can set me off. I cry myself to sleep and cry when I wake up. Feel so guilty and down and its affecting those around me. I'm going to make an appointment Monday(if I can get through) to see gp and consider antidepressants just for short term as i can't bear this feeling. Best wishes to you all x

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
I have been on Citalopram 10mg for 3 years, initially prescribed for anxiety. It was at a time when my mum was very ill, teenager traumas, pressure at work etc. I have found it invaluable, and now that Dad has vascular dementia it is keeping me sane I think !

I was initially terrified of taking anything, but I can honestly say that it is the best thing I have ever done.

hope this helps :)

M x

BrightSide

Oct 22, 2011
Mum went on mirtazipine after having what amounted to a mental breakdown at the age of 85. She was showing signs of nervous exhaustion looking after dad for so long and I had to call the GP out one day,when I found her crying and exhausted over a pile of wet bedding. No pill can take away a situation, but it can help to make it easier. Mum has her appetite back, is sleeping better and is less anxious and more able to cope until we can get dad into permanent nursing care.

Eddgreen

Jun 22, 2012
Lancashire
I'm so antidepressants you need to take them 6 weeks before you notice
In seeing a lady from mind and well being
As I live alone now Mums in a bad way she does not know me
People say think of yourself I can't
It's hard you can't do anything
I want the best for mum but the hospital, care home etc no help
It takes time get help and listen

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Anongirl - when I first went to the doc's feeling terrible, he said he thought I was suffering from extreme anxiety rather than depression (which I think was true at the time) and he prescribed me some beta blockers (propranalol) because I was suffering some awful physical symptoms that I was finding very hard to cope with. They worked like magic. All the physical stuff just disappeared, although I was still dealing with various problems and the anxieties were still there.

It was only later, months later, when the anxiety had dulled (not sure if that's the right word) into a steady black cloud pressing down on me that was there constantly, that I was prescribed anti-depressants.

So maybe if it's anxiety that you're experiencing rather than depression, there might be other medication that would be more suitable, and you might not develop depression as I did.

Maybe something to think about too?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27