How far would you feel it acceptable to push food and drink?

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks for all the hugs. What a week.
I went to see Mum this afternoon, about 3pm. She was fast asleep and looked dreadful when I arrived. She was flat on her back, mouth wide open, I peeked in and her mouth was dry so she had obviously been in that position for a while.
I said "Mum!" Gently. Normally that wakes her with a jump. Nothing. I stared, I half thought she was dead but then her eye moved beneath the lid.
I stroked her hand, picked it up and rubbed it. No response. I was saying Mum all this time.
Just then a carer knocked and came in. That woke Mum. She stared at me with a horror struck expression.
The carer had come to see if Mum wanted a drink. She asked for Horlicks so while we waited I gave her nails a good clean and a trim. They grow like billy oh!
Then I fed her her Horlicks, just a few sips at a time. She struggled to swallow, it was as though she held the liquid in her mouth while she summoned up the strength, or maybe the memory of swallowing?
After each sip she would stare at me blankly. She had a sad, serious, blank expression that I've not seen before. Hard to describe. She looked at me, but there wasn't a connection, and when I left she didn't seem bothered.
I suddenly remembered that Mr Pied had given me a CD with a film soundtrack on it that she liked. It was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I put that on and Mum listened really intently. I left her smiling at "hushabye mountain".
I am shattered tonight. I've come to bed early.
X

geum123

May 20, 2009
I'm so sorry and sad for you and your little Mum Pied, but glad that you left her smiling.
The mental worry is shattering isn't it. You take care.
Big hug. xxxxx

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Pied

Have been catching up with your thread recently and have felt very moved. To say it’s upsetting I’m sure doesn’t go nearly far enough and wish for your continued strength during this distressing time. You sound like an exceptional daughter who in the most difficult of circumstances is doing the utmost to add beauty and serenity to your mum’s life.

Look after yourself.

Px

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Pied,

You are probably doing this already but didn't see you mention it. Our SALT told us to make sure we moved mum's bed so she was sitting upright, not with head tilted back but with chin pointing down towards the chest, before we fed her anything. To assist the swallowing she told us to stroke her throat in a downwards motion because that can help trigger the swallowing reflex. She told us she had a lot of success using this method in patients with dementia who seemed to have forgotten how to swallow.

Anyway, just thought I would share what we were told...

Fiona

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Pied,

It's been a long time since I've been on TP, but when I saw your name I thought I'd come and see how you were! What a difficult time you're having. I remember this well with Dad, never knowing where he was up to. The home had his syringe drivers and meds for a whole year in their clinic because he died exactly a year to the day from the first time he was put on the Liverpool Care Pathway. We had a number of times when he refused food and seemed to forget how to drink, but then it came back again. He did have the mouthcare sponges when he wouldn't drink, just to moisten his lips and tongue. Sometimes that was enough to remind him he did still want to drink.

The last week of his life though, he just knew he was on his way. He slept instead of eating. Then 4 days before he died, he had a small window where he was completely lucid. He called my daughter by her name, and then said to her quite calmly,
"I don't need to drink anymore, do I?"
She said, "Not if you don't want to, Grandad," and he smiled at her and squeezed her hand. A few minutes later he slipped into a coma, and didn't speak again. He had the syringe driver then, and was quite peaceful. It was a horrible thing that we lost him, but he was happy to go in the end.

I hope that helps you. Whenever it happens, you know you've been a wonderful, caring daughter. You'll miss her, but you wouldn't want her to suffer any longer, so part of you will feel relieved for her. It's been a very strange mix of emotions this year, but I'm starting to move on because that's what Dad would have wanted. That doesn't mean I'm not in tears while I'm getting his house ready to sell, and going through his things, but I know it's what has to happen.

I hope you get some rest tonight. You mustn't forget how important you are,

Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Pied,

I can relate so much to what you and Sue describe.

The blank expression you've written of instantly put an image of my own mum's eyes in my mind. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Like you're invisible, like they're searching...

My mum also held liquid or food in her mouth, and I didn't know if she had forgotten what to do next, or whether she struggled to swallow. I never found out. My instinct told me she'd just forgotten the next step. I would wait, stroke her throat, as Sue says, and hold my breath until it went down. Then it looked such hard work for her. Like she was swallowing a marble, not a few drops of water.

I wish I could explain why your dear mum is up and down, and why each day seems different to the last. It's one of the worst times, because nobody seems to know, and answers are so important, when we're desperate to help. All you can do is carry on doing what you've always done, and be there, talk to her and for her and simply watch over her. She will know you're there.

I really understand your pain, and wish I could somehow relieve it a little.

Sending much love,

xxxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks xx

It's funny but I have been stroking Mum's throat. Not because I was told to. It was pure instinct. I even showed a carer what I do.

Yes, that blankness. It's haunting.

Xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Just sending much Love , Support & Comfort to you & your Mum

Take care & you & your Mum are in my thoughts

Love & Hugs Love Grove x x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I've been to see Mum again a couple of times. She was quite wakeful yesterday but didn't want much to drink. She couldn't talk clearly, her voice was weak and reedy.
She also was very anxious and kept saying she was frightened.
I don't think she has picked up to where she was before this downturn, but she's still fighting. How feisty she is.
Love

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I've been to see Mum again a couple of times. She was quite wakeful yesterday but didn't want much to drink. She couldn't talk clearly, her voice was weak and reedy.
She also was very anxious and kept saying she was frightened.
I don't think she has picked up to where she was before this downturn, but she's still fighting. How feisty she is.
Love

Pied I am sorry your mum feels frightened, but how brave she is to come out fighting, I know who you take after,

Sending love and hugs to you ,

Jeany x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Much Love & Support

Hello Pied , Sorry to read your Mum is frightened & just sending much Love , Peace & Comfort to you & your Mum today & in the days to come

You & your Mum are in my thoughts today

Take care

Lots of Love & Hugs Love Grove x x x x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Pied,

I bet if your mum could see what you have been living this last few years she'd be thinking she couldn't live through that!! It's surprising what we can live through when actually faced with it.

My very first thought at reading your post was the same "you take after your mum":)

Love

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132