What does textiles mean to you?

emibetty

Oct 10, 2012
Edinburgh
Hello there,

I'm currently writing my dissertation on how textiles could help someone with dementia and I have a gap in my knowledge as to what textiles means to people.

Did you or your relative ever work in the textiles industry? Was it simply a hobby to knit or crochet etc? Did you/they have a particular love of clothing or interior furnishings? If the answer is yes to any of these, has this still been relevant after being diagnosed.

I would love to hear any stories you have, especially anyone with dementia themselves.

Thanks for your time

tp18

Oct 8, 2012
With regard to dementia, I guess touching and seeing a variety of different textiles can evoke memories of times gone by (wool = cold weather, perhaps a childhood sweater etc), silk (a mothers scarf perhaps), nylon (grandmothers stockings), cotton (summertime) etc etc

So, textiles to me, would mean a collection of memories, in this context.

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi Emibetty. I did textiles at school, which was anything to do with anything that you make things out of, whether it be sewing, knitting, crocheting, weaving etc. To me it also means the feel of something, velvet, suede, wool etc, different materials in their raw form can feel different in their finished form, and I personally went along the line, and still do if I'm honest, of making things that you would want to touch just to see if it feels like you think it would when you look at it. If there's a cotton cushion or a velvet cushion, I would pick the velvet cushion because of the feel of it kind of thing. Sorry if I've got the wrong train of thought, or if I sound ridiculous lol. xx

emibetty

Oct 10, 2012
Edinburgh
Interesting responses, thank you!

To tp18: would you say that using familiar fabrics would be preferred by those with dementia?

To big-mama: not the wrong train of thought at all, it's always interesting to hear other people's opinion on the subject. From what you've said it seems that personal preference is important to you when it comes to textiles, is that right?

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi Emibetty. I think it is personal preference with myself, but like tp18 said, these are things which "take you back" and evoke memories. I can't touch mohair without thinking of my mother knitting with it and keeping it in the fridge to prevent the fluffiness of the wool becoming fluffier - but it meant you never, ever got a meal that didn't have mohair strands on it lol. It doesn't always have to be soft with me either, I like to feel things, hear the sound of the material (or whatever you've used), the crinkley sound etc, the different textures on my fingers. With my youngest daughter it's scent, and I have a specific perfume that I wear on special occasions and that's my "mummy scent" and she knows when I have it on - it's another one of the senses, but with me it's definitely the feel of things. It doesn't just have to be materials either, glass, wood, sandpaper, anything - they all have different feelings. My middle daughter gave me a polished stone, it's pink and in the shape of a heart, but it's lovely to sit and hold and just feel it in your hand, almost soothing. Hope this helps, but reading it back... not sure lol. xx

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
This is a fascinating thread for me. My mum was a senior lecturer in textiles for many years - she even handwove the material for Christ's robe in the film Ben Hur [the one with Charlton Heston]. When she moved into a care home I found a dressmakers dummy and draped it with all the fabrics she'd woven or designed, to bring back memories for all of us.
I have noticed over the last 5 years in particular though that she will instinctively go for the colour first - the brighter and gaudier the better - no old lady mushroom beige for her! The texture of a fabric doesn't seem to interest her - just the look of it. She used to go to an embroidery group and would buy bright metallic/foil materials to collage with, plus tub after tub of sequins/glitter etc. This was a touch unsettling for me - the woman who loved the cool pale swedish look has become the Queen of Bling. I suspect that her somewhat puritanical upbringing has finally been thrown off - the disinhibition that dementia sometimes brings has in her case allowed an element of liberation?
Good luck with your research.

Harriet

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I just realised I have worn brighter clothes since I've been ill

I nearly always wear my trademark tie dye t shirt (I have more than one, although it was pointed out to me that one of them has holes in it :mad:)

and I like bright scarves, silky ones!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I love all things textiles, always have. I love colour and texture and can't resist a remnant or unusual ball of wool.

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
This is probably a really stupid impractical idea, but would there be any way of imbuing textiles with certain trigger scents that would comfort,stimulate or calm?

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Harriet I think that's a great idea!

I did my dissertation (many years ago) on olfaction and memory. All be it with children and reading a story, smelling relevant scents with one group, none relevant with another and no scent with another and I did find that relevant scents did help the children remember the story better or key parts.

I can't see why this wouldn't work with fabric although I'm no expert on how you would get it to hold the smell. Someone way smarter will have to answer that :)

My aunt used to wear Opium perfume and even now if someone walks by wearing it I think of her (she died 14 years ago), my old neighbour, my now surrogate mum always wore Paris, can't stand the perfume because she fumed me in the car on the way to scho but it makes me think of her when I smell it.

I think it's a good idea, well out forward.

Sharon

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have started needle felting which is very tactile

this is arbuthnot

Attachments

• P1130439 (800x600).jpg
    P1130439 (800x600).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 823

emibetty

Oct 10, 2012
Edinburgh
Great discussion everyone! Interesting and diverse answers from all of you.

The scent idea is great too, there is a girl in my class at university who is creating a fashion collection inspired by the 1990's (her childhood) and is mixing scented granules into the binder we screen print with. This means her designs can smell like apple, for example, for up to a year! Her desk smells of children's sweets all the time :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132