Christmas gifts for people with dementia

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
The foam shapes or the old fuzzy felt can be used effectively to make up stories with. As they stick the different things on the board, you start telling the story. Can pass a few hours doing just that and lots of hilarity too.

Oh Chez - you reminded me of mum and her collection of toys that sat on her couch. One time when we were all there we were made to sit on the floor because we were squashing her babies! We all complied, apart from my sister who flung them across the room declaring she wasn't giving up her seat for any stuffed toy! LOL Then of course she had to suffer with getting "that look" for the rest of the day. I have to say my mother wasn't really settled though until her kids were back on the couch again - guess it upset her karmic balance or something.

Fiona

What.to.do?

Feb 29, 2012
This is wonderful - all these suggestions for Christmas presents. Just back from visiting Mum in her new (3 weeks) care home. For starters I'll track down Solitaire with marbles as Mum used to enjoy this and I think this would be just about manageable with help.

wendyg70

Jan 9, 2008
Brentwood, Essex
Christmas Ideas

Not sure if its been mentioned previously, but one present that I bought for dad was one of those pillows that you can have a photo printed onto one side, actually I got him two, me and my partner and another of his grandchildren. You can print whatever you wanted, just take a piccie, members of family, close friend, favorite pet etc., I know that dad will pick these pillows up and hold them and even talk to them at times. They are hard to lose, can be washed if they get grubby, can be cuddled in bed for comfort and are soft and lightweight and can be carried around without causing any harm...ideal :) Hope this is of some help x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Not sure if its been mentioned previously, but one present that I bought for dad was one of those pillows that you can have a photo printed onto one side, actually I got him two, me and my partner and another of his grandchildren. You can print whatever you wanted, just take a piccie, members of family, close friend, favorite pet etc., I know that dad will pick these pillows up and hold them and even talk to them at times. They are hard to lose, can be washed if they get grubby, can be cuddled in bed for comfort and are soft and lightweight and can be carried around without causing any harm...ideal :) Hope this is of some help x

What a great idea Wendy I have never seen those before they would make ideal presents I found this link

http://www.uniquepromotion.co.uk/personalised-cushion.html?gclid=CLixlsGr-bMCFSHHtAodrHMA3A

posford1

May 4, 2012
Ideas for Christmas

Has anyone any ideas of suitable xmas gifts for mum who has dementia and is now in a care home , She doesn't read anymore and struggles to play dominoes etc , has a love of a cuddly toy which she carries around with her and talks to as if it is her baby , but is not interested in any other cuddly toys , I had thought of an activity apron as she likes fiddling with bits of tissue etc but would like to make it myself , any ideas please :

I find it best to give things that don't matter if they're broken or lost. They all seem to share in Mum's home apart from much beloved things. Fun sparkly jewellery, artificial flowers, small baskets to carry things around in, how about a small blanket for her cuddly toy. Hope it helps.

pom pom

Sep 17, 2010
Christmas prezzy

Hi everyone,
I work as a activity co-ed in a home, I have worked in this field for many years. I have found the most useful item to provide is a large colourful board on which you stick photos of loved ones,pets,past homes or places they went holiday and items that had a meaning, under each photo or item write a short explanation, this costs nothing but your time and effort it makes all the difference when a career has to do their work, it can help make a connection with your family member. I would love it if someone did this for me as a gift. I know there are memory boxes on the market. But they do cost a lot.
Also I've worked in two homes where baby dolls are part of everyday! You would be amazed how understanding people are no matter the age. If a doll or teddy gives comfort then that's all that matters.
Fill the room with colourful bunting, window stickers you can get wonderful ones nowadays. These are gifts of moments of joy.

nanikyla

Feb 6, 2012
Christmas gifts

My husband now has Alzheimers after 9 years of progressive Dementia. My daughter bought my husband a cup with 2 handles and saucer bought from the Mobility Shop. This has been a godsend for us as when he was picking up something to drink, he was spilling it or he couldn't hold the cup with both hands as the content was hot. He can now hold the cup with his index finger of both hands. We now take his cup everywhere with us. I hope this helps with your Xmas idea's.

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Thanks to Chris60 for sharing this thread.
I'm not sure I can help as you have a lovely idea.

For my M I gets lots of bits that hopefully are familiar enough that she will use and if mislaid or passed on to others it doesn't matter.
Purple Notepad and pen - she likes to jot words down
A china pot to go on windowsill to hold an indoor plant
(Which we'll go out together to buy)
Large men's hankies - she refuses to use her ladies ones!!!
I'm going to embroider her name on in purple (favourite colour)
Bright pink bed socks!
Deodorant of a brand she's used in the past (this is a bit naughty on my part -
I'm hoping she'll use it ;)
Notelets which she often asks for when people write to her - they get muddled and lost
Tin of shortbread which the tin has a picture of a large stamp on so I thought she could store her stamps from envelopes in as she does like to hoard!!

For my FiL we had brainwave of a big chunky watch - my husband had left his on the table the other day and FiL kept picking it up and smiling.
Although he might not use it for it's purpose he is just like my M - a magpie for shin y things!!!
We decided to make sure the face had a full set of numbers that weren''t Roman numerals.
Anyway it arrived today - it's a 'forces' watch and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - on the box it said :- 'keep walking in the face of uncertainty and struggle'
He can nearly walk but he jolly well thinks he can!!!!
For his birthday we are getting a wash bag with old favourite smellies from the past - Old Spice , cold tar??? soap etc

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Peggy,

I got one for my mum but unfortunately had to take it home with me because it was a major trip hazard, particularly when she had laminate flooring down. She also didn't understand the concept very well either and so we went back to her having her tartan rug instead. Least we tried! LOL

Fiona

Beatie

May 29, 2011
Hi Chris60

My Mum sounds like she is very much at the same stage as yours. And I cannot think of anything that money would buy that would give her any pleasure.:(
So I am drawing on memories and I do recall that when I was very young I used to sit and cut up the previous year's christmas cards with pinking shears, to make gift tags for the current year.
As Mum still some days wants to "sort" things, I am cutting up all my christmas cards from last year with my pinking shears and plan to put them in a little box, with perhaps a few of her favourite chocolates at the bottom of the box.
It's not much, but I am hoping it will bring her some minutes of pleasure. I cannot say for sure that she even knows what christmas is any more.
Hope this helps others out there