Christmas gifts for people with dementia

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm making my mam a memory book. She has problems with photos of family members (thinking that they're in the room with her for instance) so I'm not doing anything like that. I'm putting in photos of her home town, flowers, children, babies, poems, bits of history, songs, singers, old telly programmes, old adverts, photos of some pottery painting she did years ago, etc. All things that she loves. Along with snippets of text for her to read, just little bits and pieces, nothing too much as she wouldn't be able to string it all together - and in very large font as she never wears her reading glasses now.

I bought a good book with thick black pages in a notebook spiral binding, so that if any of the pages upset her for some reason they can just be torn out and discarded without spoiling the rest of the book.

The only problem is that it's quite time consuming, but I'm enjoying doing it.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I'm making my mam a memory book.

I bought a good book with thick black pages in a notebook spiral binding, so that if any of the pages upset her for some reason they can just be torn out and discarded without spoiling the rest of the book.

The only problem is that it's quite time consuming, but I'm enjoying doing it.

Glad you are enjoying making it Collegegirl

Juliekaine

Nov 24, 2012
Possible xmas present

Dad has Alzheimer's but has very much 'plateaued' over last 12 months and still knows my sister and I and sons in law and grandchildren, with a little prompting. We designed a calendar for him last year which he loved, using an online Photo printer like PhotoBox. We uploaded lots of pictures of him and us and grand children throughout the year and designed an A3 calendar, and he loves it. On his wall in the Care Home, ticked off every day.

Matilda Jane

Mar 19, 2010
N. Ireland
Christmas gifts to make

I made my dad a lap blanket, with things on it that were personal and recognisable to him, birds and flowers, also with textures that he liked, corduroy (as he always liked to stroke his cord trousers) some donegal tweed with fringing, that sort of thing. He loves it. Tip - I soaked all the fabrics in boling water before i made it to pre-shrink them as I had made him another blanket out of a multi-colured pure wool jumper and when it went into the home's industrial washing machine it shrank and felted - it actually improved it, but I wouldn't have liked to risk it twice.
He often doesn't know who I am, or even remember that he has a daughter, yet he told the nurse one day 'my daughter made me that, she can do anything.' I'm thinking of making him a hand muff for Christmas, with intersting textures, pom-poms etc on it or in it. Good luck.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Has anyone any ideas of suitable xmas gifts for mum who has dementia and is now in a care home , She doesn't read anymore and struggles to play dominoes etc , has a love of a cuddly toy which she carries around with her and talks to as if it is her baby , but is not interested in any other cuddly toys , I had thought of an activity apron as she likes fiddling with bits of tissue etc but would like to make it myself , any ideas please :

We have just bought my mum an amazingly soft cuddly bear from the chemist which pops into the microwave and is used as a hot water bottle...just a thought

My mum also can't play dominoes but with help can play a game of whist with partner....we make lots of concessions!!

The other thing she likes to do is crosswords - really simple and she does very little but my teenagers play the game well......grandma what is another word for 'aid'.........hmmm lets think grandma 'I would like some ....... with my homework'
Grandma...' i always needed help with my homework'.....oh grandma you are right it is 'help' !! and so it goes on for about 15 minutes. We bought a very simple crossword book and it is lasting forever.

The other interactive thing we found useful was a jigsaw mat - where a jigsaw can be started and stopped. great for buying presents....really cheap in charity shop...she often doesn't do much but it is surprising how many other people enjoy 20 minutes of jigsaw and she thinks she's done it

just a few suggestions!

knitone

Nov 22, 2010
My mother has most things she needs and now does not really get the idea of unwrapping birthday or Christmas presents, which previously she loved. So I have made a donation to the Alzheimer's Society and have requested advice about a fork or spoon that would make it easier for her to eat. Other than that, and it is her birthday in November, I have got her new trousers, plenty of lavender hand cream which she loves, and nice room, and linen sprays. She has a twiddle muff but most bits have gone missing. She loves people reading to her, so we make sure she has nice books of poems for the carers to read.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Glad you are enjoying making it Collegegirl

Hi I've just made one too after suggestions from people on here - it was quite simple as MIL is deteriorating fast and I didn't want to miss the window where it would be used. I also found pretty book with black (tearout-able) pages so the pictures stood out and I included pictures of the town and house she grew up in and pictures of all her brothers and sisters plus pics I found on the Internet of 40's & 50's packaging and adverts. Apparently it went down a treat and she is always looking at it. I was chuffed.:D

WirelessPaul

Feb 10, 2012
Leeds
Not cheap but you might look at a digital photo frame we have one (8") and Sue likes to see family members come up, as well as pictures of herself when younger. The good thing is that you can change the pictures by using a different card. We are now looking for a bigger one for this Christmas. Sony ones come in different colours and a choice of how it displays the photos.
http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/digital-photo-frames

Paul

wally

Mar 14, 2012
Xmas gifts for people with dementia

Has anyone any ideas of suitable xmas gifts for mum who has dementia and is now in a care home , She doesn't read anymore and struggles to play dominoes etc , has a love of a cuddly toy which she carries around with her and talks to as if it is her baby , but is not interested in any other cuddly toys , I had thought of an activity apron as she likes fiddling with bits of tissue etc but would like to make it myself , any ideas please :

Hello, last Xmas I put together a 'rummage basket' for my mum who who was in a similar position to your mum. An open basket decorated with a name tag, bows, tinsel and ribbons etc. and filled it with all the things she likes to fiddle with. Craft shops do some lovely, bright fluffy pipe cleaner type strands, any odd napkins you may have, the list can be endless. It was fun to seek out the items and gave Mum lots to play with. Good luck and Happy Xmas.

Night-owl

Feb 10, 2011
S. Lincs
Lights?

My mum has Vas. D.,and though she doesn't seem to read, she does read out head-lines. She also loves lights, static or moving; we asked for a lava lamp for her a few Christmases ago, and although she liked it, she seemed to worry about it getting broken, so it didn't go with her into the home. Your mum might like one though, or one of the many sorts of lamps with lit alternating coloured segments, or ones that project colours onto the wall...Argos Cat. have a few different types. Might be worth a try.
Love, Night-owl.

jean3

Oct 18, 2007
South Lakes
A great gift

My cousin bought a baby like doll for her mum and it's been amazing. She treats it like a real baby and it has transformed her behaviour - calming and distracting her. She'll nurse it for hours. Doesn't usually take it out of her room. A visiting care worker has decided to get some for the dementia day centre where she works.

Suzanne1

Aug 30, 2008
Photo album?

A photo album with pictures from the past would be my suggestion. You could also include some pages with velvety pictures, bright cards and so on - maybe some Xmas cards that the person has received in the past. Hope this helps.

KTG

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
My mum is now fairly frail and well on the way with her dementia. I visited her recently and she seemed fairly contented with some dried fruit (citrus and a dried courgette/squash type vegetable). It was tactile and pleasing to hold. Mum no longer recognises me or my brothers and is well away from us all now, but we had a brief discussion about these dried fruit/veg. I think those cedar or wooden apples/pears that you buy to display in bowls might serve a similar purpose. Just an idea?

jan93

May 20, 2011
north east
jan93

ive seen a mat that is for babies has mirrors textures fastenings etc how about you made something similar for your mam but made it an apron style and put the various textures an objects inside pockets on the apron, you could put fastenings of different types on the pockets and thus help maintain her skills with buttons zips ties laces etc. maybe you could make it with a pocket big enough to be a little "home" for her favourite cuddly. Handy to house her tissues sweets etc.
I have similar problems with choice of gifts for my mam so i'm going to try enlarging and laminating some photos - couple to use as place mats others i'm hoping to add a bit of text to so that carers can talk with her about these when i'm out.
good luck.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi, thanks for posting this thread - have been looking for something for OH to do as he's constantly on the floor rearranging his books (old favourites from past) into different piles and now sorting them into more complex patterns so your replies have given me a few ideas.

What was I saying about forums and groups a week ago?!!:eek:

chez

Colouring books etc.....

My Mother in Law has Vascular Dementia, at the moment she is in her own flat in residential care, she has a teddy which occupies a comfy chair all of his own, while we sit on the dining chairs when we visit ;)
However, I recall visiting my husbands Grandma in a home many years ago and being very impressed with the activities taking place amongst the residents. Many had colouring books and crayons, some had large piece jigsaws with just a few pieces to complete a picture, one lady loved knitting and knitted a dishcloth for the staff every day (which was unravelled behind the scenes for her to knit again) shape sorters, building bricks, Duplo was popular, hand puppets, some of the residents teddy bears had little knitted cardigans etc.
Perhaps some gift ideas there?

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
What I have bought my dad

My dad is obsessed with carrying money, which he then either loses or gives away, but then he wants more money, so have bought him some play money, notes, they look like the real thing, it makes him happy thinking he has a few quid in his pocket but the home do not like him having too much money, as its a risk with him losing it or giving it away, so hoping this does the trick, they have it on Ebay.

Otherwise I am going with the new clothing and some fave chocolates, its hard I agree good luck

patsycat

Dec 4, 2011
things to do

For some time mum has wanted things to do- like your mum she cannot read and also has in the past broken both wrists making knitting and sewing impossible
For the past few weeks we have been making mobiles out of sticky back foam- I cut out the shapes them mum sticks them on string and decorates them with stickers- would something like this be suitable for your mum? you can get kits from the hobby craft shop for instance for making Christmans decorations- Depending on how good her memory is you can always make them together one week them undo them for to remake the next week
Jenny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA