Suitable clothes for Alzheimers sufferers

boudicca

May 23, 2011
Me London, Dad in Herts
It didn't take us long to realise that the combination of toileting issues and the well known care-home-clothes-eating-monster meant that cheap non-iron elasticated waist trousers are the most practical option. We currently have Dad in £6 track suit bottoms from Tesco.

But he was always such a neat man when he was well and I don't like to see him in mis-matched tops and bottoms and I really don't like the go-faster stripes down the side of the trousers.

Has anyone found anything a bit more classy? Still needs to be non-iron, elasticated waist and not too pricey though.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi Boudicca

My FIL has been in care for nearly 12 years and my MIL soon found that tracksuit bottoms are the best especially as he is incontinent. You dont need to have the ones with stripes there are plenty around that are one colour and not 'shell suit' material. She gets nice jumpers/cardigans and polo shirts (long sleeved in the winter) to go with the trousers. If you are careful with the colours you buy it is difficult to get a mismatch! She also gets velcro slippers.

I have seen elasticated trousers for men (although only on the sides) in catalogues so have a look online - there are so many around these days.

My FIL would never have warn track suit trousers either but it comes down to what is easiest to get on particularly when mobility gets worse.

Sorry I cannot offer anything else but someone on here may have better information.

Best Wishes :)

It didn't take us long to realise that the combination of toileting issues and the well known care-home-clothes-eating-monster meant that cheap non-iron elasticated waist trousers are the most practical option. We currently have Dad in £6 track suit bottoms from Tesco.

But he was always such a neat man when he was well and I don't like to see him in mis-matched tops and bottoms and I really don't like the go-faster stripes down the side of the trousers.

Has anyone found anything a bit more classy? Still needs to be non-iron, elasticated waist and not too pricey though.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi,

I have just bought some track bottoms for my husband from one of the large sport shops, can't remember which one. He has never worn them so I wanted them to be just plain ones. I will give them to him as part of his Christmas gifts and hopefully he will take to them. They were either £10 or £12 a pair and they are not too thick, around the thickness of his cord trousers that he loves to wear. I put my husband's clothes in his wardrobe in his nursing home in order so carers pick trousers,shirt/polo and jumper all to match. Do this daily because my husband likes to jumble them once he is dressed.

Jay

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi
I buy my husbands track suit trousers from M&S and they cost about 12 pounds.
They are very hard wearing and a little bit thicker than normal track suit bottoms so in winter are warm for him. The last four pairs have lasted 18 months and are still going.
Love Roseann x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
S*********s T* clothing is quite good too, they have 25% off til Monday

sotty

Oct 9, 2011
Dorset
Hi Some time ago someone on TP suggested elasticated waist trousers from M&S and I have bought several pairs for my husband. They are quite smart, comfortable to wear and easy to get on/off. They come in two different fabrics and the fleece ones are lovely and warm for this time of year. My husband still lives at home but has been into a nursing home for occasional respite, and the trousers have coped well with being washed and dried in their industrial machines.

The trousers are £15 per pair, and as they do not have cuffs/elastic at the bottom of the legs I can usually take his trousers off and on without having to remove his shoes or slippers, which is very useful if you have to do numerous changes each day.

Hope you find something suitable.

boudicca

May 23, 2011
Me London, Dad in Herts
Thanks for the suggestions but my Dad's partner is still insisting on doing his laundry and I was looking for something which doesn't need ironing. Which I think the cotton sweatshirt material type ones do.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi

S.p.o.r.t.s D.i.r.e.c.t do lots of clothes along with joggers and full track suits and they aren't too expensive. I've recently brought my mum a few pairs of track suit bottoms and she would never have been seen dead in the before! She has CK dresses hanging in her wardrobe, that's how particular she was about clothes. Unfortunately now you could dress her in a bin bag and she wouldn't know.

It's a sorry state of affairs isn't it, we know our loved ones would never want to be dressed scruffy or as my mum often does, have their hair a mess or their appearance anything but perfect. Now normal to mum is pj bottoms and a jumper, odd socks and very often no bra. She also refuses to have her teeth in. It's the nature ofthe beast. It's an awful disease but we can't help that mum changes her top at least 15 times a day and often puts her pants over her trousers!

I hope you find something suitable, sorry for putting s.p. etc but its the only way I could see of the name not being blanked! Hope it worked!

Sharon

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband's nursing home laundry isn't so fond of ironing that it will iron track suit bottoms and, to be honest, they don't need it after the dryer. The problem with some that I have bought is that they shrink at the 60degree wash the home has to use. Matalan's shrank really badly but Asda's (£8) don't - plain, no stripe, nor do M&S ones that are £15. That's as far as my experience goes - I'm sticking with the ones I know won't shrink!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I recently got my husband some brilliant trousers from M & S. They are listed as thermal trekking trousers and they are pull up trousers which look like chinos with an elasticated waist and a thermal lining and are much smarter than joggers with no go faster stripe. They are available in black or petrol ( Greyish blue ) and are £25 per pair . They wash up well. The style number is T17/5003B but I struggled to find them on the website- they certainly were not listed under trousers. However, when I went in to customer services at our local store they had no trouble getting them for me.
I think they are missing a trick, because if they were more obvious I think they would fly off the shelves
Tre

boudicca

May 23, 2011
Me London, Dad in Herts
Thanks people.

Quite fascinated by the zip down front trousers but £38 would only be worth it if you could be sure they wouldn't get lost.

Will check out Asda again, and thanks for the heads up on Matalan! And I think there is a big sportswear place a couple of miles away (never set foot in it before - not at all sporty myself)

Trekking trousers sound good as he does feel the cold.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Mum like an oversize raglan sleeve jumper which I think was originally sold as being for a man, it looks alright as it is easy wear, covers all the bumby and baggy bits :D, plus is quick to get off in case of 'accidents'. Luckily she likes bright colours, this is good, God forbid she ever wanders off, a description of her clothes would be very easy.

The bottom half we have baggy trousers with elastic waists. I don't know if Mothercare still sells them, we will need to restock soon, maternity baggy trousers/leggings are great for little old ladies with baggy tummies who find regular trousers uncomfortable.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I get this sort of trousers for my husband in navy or black ,they are elasticated waist and look smarter than the elasticated round the ankle ones, they have been hot washed and tumble dried to a inch of their life by me and still manage to look ok, no ironing, I started to get them when he broke his wrist about 15 years ago and couldn't manage his jeans ,they have been quite expensive to buy in the past but are cheap enough for him to have a few pairs now

http://www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-poly-pants-mens-502012

I hope this will be useful

Jeany x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Also Matalan ... they have an online shop as well - the link below takes you to some that are £10 and theyre plain

Just checked those out - they are the ones I bought and which shrank. They were £10 and had elasticated bottom too which weren't ideal and useless once they had shrunk! At least if they had plain bottoms, it wouldn't have mattered so much if they were a bit short.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
I tried all sorts of different ones for Dad, the most suitable for him were lounge trousers with an elasticated waist, I found them in the pyjama section of BHS, I think M&S sell them too, they were very smart and cost only £12. They are thicker than pyjamas but thinner than chinos so they dry quickly, they are dark blue and if you finish them in the dryer they never need ironing.

I had to sew elastic stirrups on the bottom of them because of his never ending compulsion to cross and uncross his legs, so if the bottoms were not fastened down they were up to his knees every five minutes. :)

PS.. they never shrank ;)

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
They look ok Jeany - can they take a 60 degree wash and the dryer?

Yes Saffie they can, I have some that I first got him 15 years ago and he can still wear them in the house the elastic in the waist has lost it's stretch a bit by now, but they look new they have been washed at least once a week ,I just fold them carefully when they come out of the tumble drier and put them in his drawer,

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27