Statins

chingford

Nov 28, 2011
Essex
A number of weeks back.after reading how Statins can damage your memory. I stopped giving them to my wife. who has ALZ and V Dem.I replaced these with ever known anti cholesterol food and vitamin i could find. After about 10 weeks i had her cholesterol checked .it had gone up considerable. My wife is now back on statins. Regards Chingford.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Thanks, Chingford, for letting everyone know that. I guess it's a case of weighing up the alternatives.

Did her GP know you were stopping them?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Chingford. I hadn't heard of statins affecting memory. High cholesterol can run in families (as it appears to in mine). It can be difficult to lower this type of cholesterol. My mum is on a cocktail of drugs and it does worry me that this could be making her situation worse but I guess it's a case of weighing up pros and cons. She already suffered a stroke (before she was on statins) and I wouldn't want to take that risk again. I understand your concern though.

Best wishes to you both x

chingford

Nov 28, 2011
Essex
statins and doctors.

Hi Chingford. I hadn't heard of statins affecting memory. High cholesterol can run in families (as it appears to in mine). It can be difficult to lower this type of cholesterol. My mum is on a cocktail of drugs and it does worry me that this could be making her situation worse but I guess it's a case of weighing up pros and cons. She already suffered a stroke (before she was on statins) and I wouldn't want to take that risk again. I understand your concern though.

Best wishes to you both x

I did not talk to our doctor re not giving my wife statins.She was going down hill so fast did not see the point.if i did not try that what else was there.My wife is on drugs but who knows if they are any good.i can not see they have done any thing.When i took my wife for her results.because her col had gone up.i told the doctor then.she said she was aware this could happen.and it was worth a try.Just think if it had worked . I know my wife would want me to try any thing i think might help her.nothing else is being done.it is a terrible world she is living in.sometimes almost to much to take.Such sadness. Chingford.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi

We all try anything for our loved ones. I tried coconut oil on my husband after reading about it on the net-it just gave him a bad tummy. Well done for trying though-I can understand why you did it. Presumably the DR checked for a urine infection as your wife is going downhill fast?It could be a stage and will level out soon hopefully.

Sadness for carers is a bi-symptom of dementia.

Keep posting particularly whenever it gets too much.

Take much care Lyn T

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think you did the right thing Chingford, you gave the other option a try and have the honesty to admit that it didn't work.
I think you were right to be wary of statins. It is not a miracle drug and has side effects, as all things do.
I am sorry you feel worn down by things, you are side by side with your wife in the struggle.
It is a hard path you walk together.
Thinking of you both, with love,
Gwen X

Hopefulone

Nov 9, 2012
Hello Chingford, I am sorry you are sad. It is a horrible disease and I think it was good you tried to help your wife in this way.
My Dad has been on Statins for many years and he also has alz and vascular dementia.
I too have been concerned about the effect of Statins on memory, mainly because my Dad told me he was and kept refusing to take his Statins! (the only pill he ever objected to).
Dad has major sleeping problems also and I wondered if this had anything to do with his dementia. I discovered after talking to a friend who is a G.P. that in her opinion, some Statins can cause sleep disturbances.
When he was too ill to take control of his medication I asked his G.P. if he could come off them to see if there would be a difference in memory and/or sleep. He agreed but only for a trial period of one month. I don't know if that was long enough but because of his medical history he would not allow it any longer.
Unfortunately there was no change in either his memory or his sleep. So who knows. Anything is worth a try. Its a shame there isn't an alternative (that I know about anyway!)
I was too scared to try it longer myself. His G.P. scared me too much about the risk of strokes etc. I think you are very brave and tried to do your best to help her.
I wish you and your wife all the best.Take care,
Hopefulone
x