Winter Fuel Payments 2012 Younger Onset .

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
Hi , Could someone clarify , please, whether those under 60 , on ESA and DLA can get Winter Fuel Payments, please ?
Thanks .:confused:

Sandra

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Jan. s said:
Yes, they do. I'm sure my husband did.
Oh, I thought winter fuel payments were only for those of pension age? Mind you, I'm not sure what age that is now :D probably be 100 for me. I thought it was those born before 1951.
I hope I'm wrong.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Are you sure? Because that's not what gov.uk says

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1951. This known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Eligibility

Usually, you’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:

you were born on or before 5 July 1951 (winter 2012 to 2013 - this date changes every year)
you normally live in the UK throughout the week of 17 to 23 September 2012

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview

I'm wondering if people are confusing this with the Cold Weather Payment which is payable to people in receipt of certain benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/overview

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Yes Jennifer, it is cold weather payments - it terminology that is confusing - but help with fuel bills in the cold weather during the winter is available.

Glosgall

Jul 8, 2012
Yes Jennifer, it is cold weather payments - it terminology that is confusing - but help with fuel bills in the cold weather during the winter is available.
I too was confused , which is why I was asking for clarification . I think my friend gets her state pension in about 4 years time .

Thanks for all the replies ,
Sandra.

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi. This too had confused me, but someone the other day mentioned that we might be entitled to it because of the benefits that we are on due to hubby being ill. We wouldn't get the "1951" one because hubby is only 37, but we might get the other one due to what we receive. It's certainly worth me asking because he's constantly cold and the amount I'm putting onto the gas card thingy has almost tripled since over the past two or three weeks - I'm seriously concerned about what it'll be like when it's really cold. Thank you for this post! xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
My husband has received the winter fuel allowance for a few years now, and he's not yet 65. He received it because he was receiving incapacity benefit; he also received the £10 christmas bonus!

He won't receive it this year because, although he still receives the benefit, he is in a care home.

He has never been paid the cold weather payment to my knowledge.

Jan

Ps it should come through automatically if you are receiving the appropriate benefits.

I believe incapacity benefit has changed to esa, although my husband does still receive incapacity benefit as he is close to pension age.

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hi BM, The cold weather payment is only paid when the temperature goes below zero degree centigrade for at least 7 days. I think it is £25 for each qualifying week from beginning of November to the end of March. There is a tool on the Government website where you put your postcode in and it tells you if your area is affected. You must be in receipt of certain income related benefits.
It may be different in Scotland.
My son receives ESA (previously Incapacity Benefit) he also receives a £10 Xmas bonus but that is from his Disability Living Allowance not from Incapacity Benefit.
I'm going to inquire about the winter fuel allowance as I felt certain it was an age-related benefit not linked to income.

P.S Just checked son's paperwork, he could get xmas bonus as he was in receipt of long tern Incapacity benefit but was already receiving it from DLA and you can only receive one payment.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As the claim form says:

Important Information

You must be born on or before 5 July 1951 to claim a Winter Fuel Payment

In fact if you don't get it automatically and you have to fill out a claim form, they ask for your original birth certificate to check.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/overview

You also get more if you are over 80.

There was a one off fuel payment made to people in NI last year who had qualifying benefits but that wasn't the winter fuel payment or the cold weather payment.

Last edited:

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi Garnuft - I've just done the cold weather postcode thingy and we haven't been cold enough yet. I can't get him to wear a jumper (!) and I've put £25 onto the card on Saturday and that was me run out tonight! Seriously - I'm sitting with the kitchen door open so I can breath, all interior doors shut so he doesn't feel the draught. I'm dreading when it gets proper cold... xx

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Just looking into the "Warm Home Discount Scheme", but I don't think I'll get it because it's pre-paid gas and electric that we use. Not entirely sure what it is yet, but even if anyone else could claim it, that's a bonus. xx

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/overview (apparently letters are sent automatically between September 2012 and January 2013, if you haven't had one by then contact them (phone number is on the link x).

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you say pre-paid, is this the pay as you go system? Because, having looked at just one supplier (British Gas) it specifically refers to that on their Warm Front page.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Who is eligible?
Broader group is open to existing customers who must continue to be in supply of their electricity with British Gas when the payments are made in Winter 2012/13 (which could be any time up to 31st March 2013).

In order to qualify for the Warm Home Discount you are required to meet the following criteria:

In receipt of the Savings or Guarantee & Savings element of the State Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of Core Group – see above).
In receipt of one of the following means tested eligible benefits.[2]

1.Income related employment and support allowance (including Support element).
2.Income based Jobseekers’ Allowance.
3.Income Support.

OR

Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190 and the account holder is living with a mental or physical disability or illness, or there is an element of vulnerability in the home, e.g
1.Households with children aged 5 years or under.
2.Account holder (or partner) aged 60 or over.

OR

Customer household has an annual income of less than £16,190[3] and spends 10% or more of their household annual income on fuel for adequate heating (usually 21 degrees)

My Mam is part of the 'Stay Warm' scheme and has been for a few years, this looks like another 'hidden' innitiative.
Well Done Big Mama! I hope it helps you, it seems to be just electricity though. But it's a big help if one qualifies for it.

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
Thank you from me too Big Mamma:D I was feeling a bit gloomy about money today - this could help us.
Harriet

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Other suppliers seem to apply the same criteria.
Income related support, Pension credits or total income of £16,190 +vulnerable people in house.
£130 winter electricity payment or credit to meter and it seems to be pay-as-you-go customers too, quite right.
Good find, Big Mama, I know a few people who will be glad of this info. Me too in previous times. XXX

Last edited: