Christmas gifts for people with dementia

chris60

Nov 20, 2012
north lincolnshire
Has anyone any ideas of suitable xmas gifts for mum who has dementia and is now in a care home , She doesn't read anymore and struggles to play dominoes etc , has a love of a cuddly toy which she carries around with her and talks to as if it is her baby , but is not interested in any other cuddly toys , I had thought of an activity apron as she likes fiddling with bits of tissue etc but would like to make it myself , any ideas please :

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
We visited a care home whilst looking round for mum. Is your mum very active? One of the ladies in one of the homes also had a cuddly that she took everywhere with her, the only difference being she pushed it round in a little pram. She actually walked the whole way round the home with us, I pushed my daughter she pushes Ted. She was so happy.

If not you can get cuddly toys which have buttons, zips and laces etc on them which you buy obviously to encourage children to learn to tie laces, do up buttons and zips. Would anything like that be useful? I'm fairly sure you can get them in most toy stores but I've always found Smyths Toy Store the most reasonably priced. Just incase that name gets censored its smiths with a y not an I ;-)

Sharon
X

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Just realised the cuddly toy with zips eye may not be of any use if mum won't accept any other cuddly. Definitely try smyths if the pushchair is an option or many charity shops have them quite cheap and in good condition x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi, It is difficult, my husband is the same. No longer reads, does word searches or knows how to play cards or dominoes and has lost his interest in music. We are buying him a selection of his favourite sweets, although we do this weekly any way. I think it will be clothes. Maybe replacing a couple of pairs of his trousers with jogging bottoms to see how he likes them, more pyjamas and some spare slippers. Children doing the same by buying him clothes. So boring. I made my husband a fiddle blanket and by the end of a week most of what I had sewn on he had pulled off. It seems as if he does not understand something he has to pull and pull.

Jay

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Chris,

I think the idea of an activity apron or mat sounds great and all the better if you do make it yourself as you can put things on it that you know will appeal to your mum. As well as things for her to pull and play around with eg zips or velcro or strands of beads, if she likes folding tissue etc then you could maybe include different textures of fabrics on it for her to explore. You can also include such things as a pocket on the front of it - can put in a small cuddly toy if you want - put it on a ribbon and attach it so it doesn't disappear. Other people have done the same and attached a small child's purse with some money in it - if she is apt to put things in her mouth then just print off paper money and put that in. Bright colours seem to get the best attention and you can even sew on those big buttons too for them to fidget with. Only overriding thing I would make sure of is that everything is properly secured to the apron/mat. If your mum is in a care home then you might want to consider an apron over a mat which is more likely to be swiped by another interested party! LOL I bet before long you're making some for others too - just wait and see! LOL

Fiona

chris60

Nov 20, 2012
north lincolnshire
Thanks for the info , the slight problem I have is mum is the only lady with dementia in the home , most others are none dementia and even the cuddly toy gets strange looks from other residents , think a push along may cause more harm than good , most of the other residents have walking aids , so wouldn't want mum to trip them up , cuddly toys with buttons etc sounds a plan , as does a sensory type cushion which wouldn't look out of place when shes sat . , back to the drawing board

We visited a care home whilst looking round for mum. Is your mum very active? One of the ladies in one of the homes also had a cuddly that she took everywhere with her, the only difference being she pushed it round in a little pram. She actually walked the whole way round the home with us, I pushed my daughter she pushes Ted. She was so happy.

If not you can get cuddly toys which have buttons, zips and laces etc on them which you buy obviously to encourage children to learn to tie laces, do up buttons and zips. Would anything like that be useful? I'm fairly sure you can get them in most toy stores but I've always found Smyths Toy Store the most reasonably priced. Just incase that name gets censored its smiths with a y not an I ;-)

Sharon
X

chris60

Nov 20, 2012
north lincolnshire
Thanks Fiona
I just need to get the inspiration to have a go , Anyone know of a web site which might give me ideas ???????? lol
Chris

I think the idea of an activity apron or mat sounds great and all the better if you do make it yourself as you can put things on it that you know will appeal to your mum. As well as things for her to pull and play around with eg zips or velcro or strands of beads, if she likes folding tissue etc then you could maybe include different textures of fabrics on it for her to explore. You can also include such things as a pocket on the front of it - can put in a small cuddly toy if you want - put it on a ribbon and attach it so it doesn't disappear. Other people have done the same and attached a small child's purse with some money in it - if she is apt to put things in her mouth then just print off paper money and put that in. Bright colours seem to get the best attention and you can even sew on those big buttons too for them to fidget with. Only overriding thing I would make sure of is that everything is properly secured to the apron/mat. If your mum is in a care home then you might want to consider an apron over a mat which is more likely to be swiped by another interested party! LOL I bet before long you're making some for others too - just wait and see! LOL

Fiona[/QUOTE]

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
The activity mats for babies with different materials, crinkly and squeaks and those eyes which move could all work. plaited wool stitched on too. or strands so she could perhaps plait it herself, or at least fiddle with it.

I think you are going to have forget about what other ladies think, it is to give your mother some pleasure that you are thinking about.

I remember some years ago at the christening of my step grand son. the two great grandmas sat and played with a plastic teddy with ears that squeaked, and eyes that rolled and various things in the pockets of this teddy's clothes. They were absolutely besotted with it, and the look of delight on their faces when they pressed his nose and the eyes rolled was wonderful.

Jeannette

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
i always buy and get people to buy the wife something she will use on a regular basis,this year is perfume,yankee candles,makeup and nail stuff,the kids are getting clothes and after eights i think,if they get used regularly she will hopefully remember.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Oh blimey, yes I agree a pushchair with a teddy may not be the best way to go! I can see it now, walking frames, pushchair and residents all on the floor in carnage!

They do really bright coloured mats etc in places like the early learning centre. Maybe have it in your mums room over her bed so she can sit an crinkle, crunch and squeak to her hearts delight. They are usually very bright coloured with a mirror etc on. They don't all have pictures on that are particularly babyish, many are just brightly coloured.

Good luck,
Sharon

chris60

Nov 20, 2012
north lincolnshire
Wow thanks , I have spent weeks looking on internet for ideas , I obviously don't type in the correct words .
Chris

If you want the quick solution too - you can buy those tabard type aprons on line and just add the "bits" to it.

Fiona[/QUOTE]

tobermory

Apr 16, 2012
I'm getting my mum a red, spotted walking stick (off a company on ebay) as she has trouble seeing her normal black one. Don't know if your mum needs a stick tho'.

Also, try looking at Hobbycraft - I was thinking about those models of animals that you can stick different coloured paper to to create a vibrant ornament/fun piece of sorts (along the lines of papier mache but with less mess!).

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
I wonder if a velvet cushion with other materials on it, or even a smiley face made from different materials would be any good?

Or maybe you could make her a stocking and fill it with sweets and simple things?

Or buy a fleecey blanket and make a little one for her teddy

xx

patilo33

Oct 12, 2011
Scunthorpe
Music

Ho Chris,
Moving away a from the touch and feel apron which is a really good idea.

How about a cd of her favourite music?

It can then be played in the home for all to enjoy and give your mum a good feel when she hears familiar music.
I know my mum loves to join In, Tapping her feet and slapping her knees in enjoyment, which shouldn't make it too embarassing In a care home environment where she is the only one with dementia. Mind you, your mum herself wouldn't notice any embarrassment.

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi Chris. I hope you don't mind me posting, but this tweaked my interest as I like to make and do things (much to hubby's annoyance, but he really likes to see me do things as this means I'm filling my time and I'm not wasting it by just sitting still lol.)
I was interested by your thought on an activity cushion, so as not to draw attention to your mum because she's the only one with dementia. I went looking for something and found this, but thought it was expensive and you could make one for an awful lot less... http://medoriscare.co.uk/special-needs-activity-cushion-p-87.html.
You could make one with textured material, I always stroke a velvet or velour cushion (sorry...) but you could add to the cushion the things that your mum would like, the zip, different textured sections, laces, buttons etc, etc.
Just a thought (one which I'm going to think about and maybe even use at a later date). xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm afraid i'm with Jay here - clothes, slippers, belt, shower gel (to match his aftershave), sweets. I have bought him so many clothes recently to make sure he always looks good.

I did think of getting him painting activities, but he doesn't seem keen on that.

For our wedding anniversary, i have bought him a red heart shaped cushion with mickey and minnie mouse on one side.

It is so hard to know what to buy.