DWP..visiting mum

joyportsmouth

Mar 26, 2007
Hi
Since mum has been in hospital and then the care home she has been receiving no money,well i haventcheked her post office account but i presume not.The DWP phoned me today to arrange a meeting so they can sort things out,they want to make me an appointee???????.The problem is they need to discuss it with mum and she doesnt realise shes in a care home {if youve read my previous posts you will no shes always on holiday!}also no one has ever told her she has VD.So does any one know what this meeting will involve?Does the person from DWP explain that as she has VD and is in a care home she cant make her own decisians?This is the last thing i want.
This just seems like something else to worry about now?
JOY

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
joyportsmouth said:
does any one know what this meeting will involve?Does the person from DWP explain that as she has VD and is in a care home she cant make her own decisians?This is the last thing i want.
This just seems like something else to worry about now?
JOY

I don't know what's involved in this procedure Joy but I am sure someone will. Is it possible for you to phone the DWP and ask them for more details of what's involved? I would think that they have people specially trained to deal with this kind of thing and they would want to cause as little distress as possible to the person with dementia and their carers.

I am sure that once it is sorted out it will make things much easier as far as your mum's benefits etc are concerned.

Brenda

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When my mother had her strokes and I was sorting out the attendance allowance, the DWP wanted someone as an appointee (and they wanted someone in the UK). I found them quite subtle when talking with my mother: they simply wanted to make sure that it was OK for them to deal with someone else, rather than directly with her. Some poeple have appointess even when they are mentally capable of handling their own affairs (perhaps because of physical disabilities).

Helena

May 24, 2006
If you have POA the DWP wont worry about Appointee

They sure did not make any fuss when I applied for Attendance Allowance for my Mother with VD

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Helena said:
If you have POA the DWP wont worry about Appointee

They sure did not make any fuss when I applied for Attendance Allowance for my Mother with VD

That's a good point Helena. I am pretty sure that if an EPA is held then an Appointeeship would not be necessary. Not sure if Joy has an EPA though.

Brenda

joyportsmouth

Mar 26, 2007
Hi Thanks for all your replys.When i spoke to the man fom social services who helped sort out care home ect he said it wasnt worth applying for power of attorney as mum doesnt have anything.She lived in a council flat,had no money as such {about £400 in her flat}She wa receiving attendance allowance but i think this stopped when she went in hospital.
Think i may ring them tommorow and expain my concerns as you said noelphobic.The lady who phoned me was really nice.
Thing is as well when i go to see mum she always worrys she doesnt have any money in her purse but,since she went into hospital {feb 23rd} and now ive given her about £80 of her money but it vanishes,she managed to lose £40 in hospital and the rest in the care home.Dont no what she does with it.I feel guilty at not giving her ,her own money but i know the residents wander in and out of each others rooms taking things,mum had 13 remote controls in her bag yesterday,had to tell the staff or no one would be able to work ther TVs.Dont know how to get around this one.
JOY

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
When my Mum went into her first care home, somebody from the Pensions department went to see her, just to check she was getting all the allowances she was entitled to. We couldn't be there, but the official rang my husband and said there would be forms in the post to fill in, as Mum had been paying too much income tax.
I think the visit may have been prompted by the application for full attendance allowance, but the Pensions Department couldn't have been more helpful.
We had already been to see a solicitor about POA and this was checked. I wonder if it is a way of making sure that the elderly people are genuinely in need.
Less than four months after this, Mum would have been quite incapable of talking to an official on her own, as she went down hill so fast, after breaking her hip and going into hospital.
Don't worry about the DWP, they seem to be very helpful.
Kayla

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Joy,

I was made an Appointee and the officer who came round was very sensitive and just asked my husband if he`d be happy for me to fill in forms and deal with things on his behalf.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
now ive given her about £80 of her money but it vanishes,she managed to lose £40 in hospital and the rest in the care home

Why not give the £80 to someone in the office at care home ? telling your mother that they look after the money , that's what I did when my mother was in
Emergency respite for 3 mouths last year and I also do that when my mother go into respite .

Then just give her £5 note and £5 in coins .

I found out that my mother was giving her money away to someone , so I stop giving her money , she gave the money to someone she said , because she felt sorry for them , she did not like it that I did not give her loads of money

When I applied for pension credit , for my mother , even thought I had EPOA , they still came out to visited , as all her correspondence from them was put into my name referring to my mother .

All they did was check out my ID, I suppose proving to them that my mother was living with me and look at my EPOA. This was 2 years ago , check my mother paper work proving she got attendance allowance as my mother got attendance allowance they said she would get a higher rate of pension credit .

Even thought one may have EPOA , and I had sent of to the pension the EPOA , other benefits like attendance allowance and pension credit , still have to come out to your home if you want all they correspondence put into your name , even thought you have EPOA , as they want proof where the person is living, and you are who you say you are , because of frud. don't worry they are really nice , as I was worry also .

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I am sure that the DWP will be sensitive. The situation in which someone is made an appointee is fairly obvious, so they will realise what they are going to be dealing with. I am sure you could arrange to speak with whoever they are sending first to talk about your concerns.

I believe that someone is usually made an appointee to "manage" someone's benefits on their behalf, this means just the DWP stuff. It is not just money but means that future letters etc will be sent to the appointee - as I understand it anyway

It is standard practise to visit someone before making them an appointee to make sure they will act in the person's best interests