Memory Cafe in Worthing, West Sussex

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Hi everyone. I am thinking of trying to start up a memory cafe in Worthing. I don't think there are any here already. Please let me know if there is.
I wondered if there is a need for one. If you are local to Worthing, would you support a memory cafe? What would you like it to offer? Where would you like it be held?
If you can offer any advice on this, or have any suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Sorry no-one has responded, Susana. It may just be that no-one from the area has been on the forum since you posted.

For what it's worth (as I live in Yorkshire), I think it's a great idea. Have you approached the Society's Worthing branch?

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Thanks for replying. I've done lots of googling and can't seem to find any in this area. Some areas of the country appear to have lots of them. It's been really interesting seeing the sorts of things they do. I've got some information from someone who has helped start up lots of cafes and does a lot of dementia awareness so I have a good knowledge of how to go about it. I'm just hoping that it is something that is needed.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Sorry no-one has responded, Susana. It may just be that no-one from the area has been on the forum since you posted.

For what it's worth (as I live in Yorkshire), I think it's a great idea. Have you approached the Society's Worthing branch?

Hello Susana. I'm not sure if you noticed Chemmy's excellent suggestion to contact the Worthing AS office for more thoughts about a Memory cafe in the area. They would be the obvious starting point, I reckon. The link Chemmy posted doesn't seem to work for me so here is my own attempt at a link to the Worthing office...http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/custom_scripts/branch.php?branch=true&branchCode=13870

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Thanks for sorting that, Deborah.

My guess is that it'll be welcomed with open arms, but doing it with AS backing will give you the publicity needed to get it off the ground, which so often is a problem with new start ups.

We'd love to hear how you get on as it may encourage others to do the same elsewhere so please keep us regularly updated, won't you? I think hearing about how you cope with the financial aspects of the projects will be particularly interesting.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
Hello, my mum lived in worthing until I moved her near to me in Scotland. My knowledge of what's on offer in the area is very limited but it's probably worth looking at/contacting Methold House.

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
the problem you'll have is getting people to go,we go to the immingham one and we struggle with numbers because people with dementia/alzheimers seem to want to stop in home and suffer on their own,but we really enjoy going to ours and it's right what they say,a problem shared is a problem halved.