anxiety about the future

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Hello
I found this forum really useful in 2008 when my mam was really poorly with dementia and after she died. So much support from some lovely people.
I am just looking for help in a problem i am suffering with. In July i suffered a TIA (mini stroke) nothing too bad i lost the ability to talk for a while. I am now on aspirin and Simvastatin. since then i have been having trouble sleeping the problem being i dream all night sometimes waking up crying when i dream about my mam or wake up with my heart pounding. Needless to say i am constantly exhausted after not getting proper sleep. I was at the doctors yesterday about it and he said he didn't think it was my medication but more to do with anxiety. I told him between my tears that because there have been 3 generations on my mam's side of the family who have had dementia and my mam having vascular dementia caused by mini strokes since having mine i have been worrying. It was obviously a concern to me before but i could brush it aside but since this has happened to me it's harder to do. I have to go back in 3 weeks after not taking my simvastatin for 2 weeks and if i still feel the same he says i will have to go for counselling to find a way of dealing with it. He was very understanding about it all.
has anyone else had any problems with anxiety caused by worrying about getting dementia and how did you deal with it.
By the way i am 51 years old.

barbara h

daddykins

Jul 14, 2012
Portland, Dorset
Hi Barbara H, and I've just picked up on your thread.
One of the side effects of Simvastatin is a disturbed sleep pattern, and I note that you have to return to your GP in three weeks after stopping this med.
Yes, you probably have some anxiety regarding demantia with your family history, but this may be exacerbated by simvastatin.
I take 80mg and have done for a number of years and I still have a very disturbed sleep pattern, not helped by have sleep apnoea.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Barbara

I remember you posting about your mother and I`m really sorry you now have concerns about your own health.

I do hope the statins were the cause of your disturbed sleep.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
I'm 57, have had a full stroke plus two TIA's and am on Simvastatin as well - and like you I sometimes have disturbed sleep when pre-stroke I was noted within my family for my ability to sleep soundly through anything.

As I understand it the purpose of statins is to lower the chloresterol level in your blood, because too high a chloresterol level can be a cause of strokes. I'm reluctant to ask for my statin to be changed, but if you think simvastatin is responsible for your disturbed sleep pattern there are other statins available. Go see your GP and ask if you could be put on another statin if necessary.

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Hi
Thanks for your replies knew i could rely on you. Can't believe you remembered me Grannie G i was touched by that.

My doctor says he is convinced its not the simvastin cos he says he hasn't heard of that problem with them before but i think its strange that a lot of people seem to complain of disturbed sleep. He seems convinced that it is anxiety and he has got me to stop the tablets for 2 weeks in order to prove that. Time will tell but 2 nights without them and nothing has changed still the dreams all night long !!

In my dreams there is always one every night about me being late. When i googled the meaning of this it means worried about running out of time in your life to do the things you want to do !!!

barbara h

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Hello

Just an update. One week not taking my statin tablets and still the dreams continue so looks like the doctor is right and its not them. I have tried having a night cap (southern comfort and lemonade) and soaking in a nice bath before going to bed as friends have suggested and although it hasn't been as bad it still feels as though i don't have a proper nights sleep so therefore looking and feeling very tired all the time.
Doctors again in a couple of weeks so if it is still happening it looks like i'll be going down the counselling route

barbara h

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Have you tried aromatherapy? I have a roll-on for sleep which you roll on your pulse points and it does seem to help me. Neal's Yard do one. just a thought even if it helps you to relax a little.

I take simvastatin but 20 mg and have to say have not noticed any side effects and have taken it for about 8 years. I do take Co-enzyme too though as I read that it should be taken if using statins. It helps muscles apparantly,including the heart.

Peace and Truth

Feb 20, 2012
Rutland
Sleepless, anxious nights

I had these too, and was becoming exhausted. Wild, scary dreams when I did sleep, and a frantic, hyper-active brain when I didn't. I stopped the problem by using up to 6 sprays of Boots 'Rescue' spray onto my tongue, and applying a homeopathic lavender roll-on to the pulse spots on my wrists, temples and jaw. It works, and now I only need to use these treatments when I am feeling tense or wound up.
I really hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Barbara

I remember you too! Your Mum was like mine. My mum and Nana both went the same way too..I really should go and get my cholesterol checked.

I also have a disturbed sleeping pattern which has grown worse in recent years. I believe that it is hormonal, as it seems to have a cyclical pattern. I also find that if I get a lot of fresh air and exercise it helps...but I have long hours and an indoor desk job...typical!

I well understand your concerns, mine have faded somewhat over the years, but I am trying to stay fitter than my Mum, but it is hard.

(((( hugs ))))

mameeskye

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just picked up on your post.
My OH (not alz) was on simvastatin and had horrific dreams as well as memory issues. He stopped taking them, but the dreams continued (memory a bit better) until I forced him to go back to his GP who changed his tablets to another type - name of which is eluding me at the moment - dreams have stopped, also his memory issues are not a problem now. If one type of statins dont work for you, there are others out there that might be better. As I understand it, there are atleast 20 statins available so it may only be a case of trial and error until you get the one that suits you.

Hugs xx

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
Hi

I remember you too Mammeskye hope all is well with you. I have thought about hormonal being at that awful age !! Maybe worth mentioning when i go back to docs. He was so certain that it wasn't my tablets that i don't think he will change them. After not taking my statin tablets for 2 weeks i have to start taking them again tonight so it'll be interesting to see if my dreams get worse.

Thanks for replies

Barbara h

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455