Is anyone in Norfolk area interested in a swimming group for those with dementia ?

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
Please can you tell me if there is a swimming group in Norfolk for people with dementia, my father lives in a care home is 88 and has Ahlzeimer's...... I have taken him swimming and he just loves it but I would love the support of others at some sort of swim group ( I know there are water memory groups in Australia but wonder if there is anything here ? )
Dad swam in the sea and daily in outdoor pools when he was working and being in the water brought back so many memories for him plus the excersie etc is great for him.....he was bobbing about singing my bonny lies over the ocean it was such a joy to share this with him

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I can't help with the group but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you were able to take your dad swimming and that he enjoyed it. My wife always loved swimming but incontinence and anxiety made taking her anywhere difficult, so last year I had a pool put in by our house. But I haven't been able to get her in, she will put her toes in then start shouting that it's wet and yucky and get very upset :(
Oh well, our kids, grandkids and extended family and friends love it and all summer I was able to get in most nights after I put Sharon to bed.

SailingWanderer

Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

I can't help with the group but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you were able to take your dad swimming and that he enjoyed it. My wife always loved swimming but incontinence and anxiety made taking her anywhere difficult, so last year I had a pool put in by our house. But I haven't been able to get her in, she will put her toes in then start shouting that it's wet and yucky and get very upset :(
Oh well, our kids, grandkids and extended family and friends love it and all summer I was able to get in most nights after I put Sharon to bed.

Bless you I hope she will get in the water again x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet