Check those care home notes whenever you visit.

sharina

Mar 17, 2010
I have just received the care home notes and quite frankly I have not laughed so much in ages.

In essence because I guess it is obvious I am a trouble maker the notes are slightly unfavourable to me.

For instance,the general gist is that whenever I saw my mother I upset her and she could not eat.Otherwise (despite shocking weight loss) she would have eaten. Here are some examples:

X was upset after husband left,daughter made it worse by quizzing mother when she arrived on why she was upset!!!!!!,

Daughter stayed to visit mother who missed her tea and had a fortisip (why did they not take her for tea whilst I was there one might wonder??)

Daughter stayed until 19.45 hours and made mother too tired.(interestingly mum was allowed to stay up to 21.00 the next night when I was not there)

My husband was entertained because apparently when he tried to help feed my mother( at my request) he also chatted to another lady and that stopped my mother eating.

His version of events was that mum was refusing to eat so he tried to distract her by creating a convivial chatting atmosphere with this lady to make her more likely to eat.

The notes are littered with spellings like nite, there for their, cumphy(comfy) etc.

I loved it when they attacked my husband about the feeding episode .He is regarded by many in his industry as a very good fair minded chap and quite frankly given his six figure earnings tolerates my rant about CHC funding and the lack of nursing care. It is of no financial interest to him or my immediate family.

However my former profession means I find the apparent lack of fairness in the system intolerable.

He summarised the care home notes as a classic 'they thought you might criticise them so they got in there first....'.but it is laughable. What happens if there had been a serious issue and I needed to sue. ...I was concerned to read that resident had attacked my mother and we were never told!!!, She was also found in the lift with wet pants around her ankle..more worthy of concern than my staying until 19.45 and tiring her,I believe.

Overall, I console myself that if the worse thing I allegedly did was quizzing my agitated mother on why was she upset and thereby making her more agitated...they were trying very, very hard to paint a negative view of me . In contrast, I could have ignored my crying mother and not asked her what was wrong......I guess they would have then commented that daughter seemed unmoved when mother cried.

The classic beyond the pale implied criticism was I told my mother that a relative had died and upset her!!!!!! I had been told that her brother had died. I was the only one in the family in contact with her family in Italy ... What was I supposed to do....not tell her!!!!?????? How could I not tell her. We were hoping to get her family over before she died. Were we supposed to pretend he was still alive and not mention it???

Our CHC claim is worth less than £25000. Every month I wonder why I bother with it all. I am unlikely to have much dealing with care homes in the near future..do I really care about in my opinion slanted notes.

I am one of five children and my dad is still alive. He refuses to ever go in a home and will insist on home nursing if the need ever arose.

This is not my money. It will be his and he wants any money recovered to go to charity.

However I hate anything I perceive as injustice. I hate systems that I perceive are unfair. I hate any system that in my perception has no legal basis and completely ignores the Human Rights Act and original statute. I hate the fact that we are being funnelled down a bureaucratic system possibly to keep us away from law courts and justice. I hate the way care home notes and medical notes are by nature one sided with no right of contemporaneous comment from carers and patients.

I hate the fact that millions are dying in non nursing homes with in my humble opinion certainly a questionable amounts of palliative care in the community. I hate the fact that my perception is that dying in hospital or at home are still the only real option because there is not enough resource in the community going into non nursing residential,homes.

Finally I hate the fact that my father and people like him have contributed to the system eye watering amounts of tax. Yet when he needed help and support his perception was that the NHS was useless.

Last edited:

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
I have a similar thing with my mothers carers. They seem unable (unwilling) to do the simplist of tasks even when it is typed out for them (I would never ask them to do anything I would not do myself). It is apparently my fault and I am viewed as a fussy daughter and picky :rolleyes: I do wonder if they would be so cavalier if it were their mother?! :confused:

Needless to say after my holiday last week and the chaos I can home to I saw another agency yesterday and have one more to see today then I shall be changing.

Not quite as easy I understand when you are dealing with a home but just wanted you to know I appreciate your frustration :)

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Quite simply care home complaints policies are far too often a white washing procedure (If they ever had one in the first place) . The standards of care in too many care homes are shocking and we as a society are turning a blind eye. The government bodies who should deal with poor care have not been doing so. I posted about 18 months ago about the fact that the CQC cannot investigate individual complaints. It is about time that either they, or another new body, should actually be able to do this.

xxTinaT

boudicca

May 23, 2011
Me London, Dad in Herts
Pointless pointless pieces of paper. 'XXX ate a hearty breakfast' and no mention of the fact he has been wearing the same clothes for three days.

We have considered whether we would be allowed to write in the care notes ourselves. We also thought about leaving a notebook in Dad's room so that visitors could write about how they found him, but we felt this might get 'lost' along with numerous pairs of glasses and slippers.

We settled on keeping record via email, but this has gone by the board since Dad was sectioned.

I think a reasonable solution would be to have a separate section in the care notes for visitors feedback. A good care home should not object to this.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Tina I totally agree. No point having and inspection body who has no teeth to act!
:mad:

Quite simply care home complaints policies are far too often a white washing procedure (If they ever had one in the first place) . The standards of care in too many care homes are shocking and we as a society are turning a blind eye. The government bodies who should deal with poor care have not been doing so. I posted about 18 months ago about the fact that the CQC cannot investigate individual complaints. It is about time that either they, or another new body, should actually be able to do this.

xxTinaT

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I heard yesterday that the Notts. Council have withdrawn funding from 9 care homes due to very bad practice. Apparently they spent a year training staff how to care for and prevent bed sores and after a year they had learned nothing:eek: It seems incredible to me that the poor residents had to cope with this whilst training took place and then to find that nothing changed. I can only imagine the physical state these people must have been in. I wonder why it took so long for the council to withdraw funding. I don't know all the details because I was told the information rather than seeing it for myself.

Love

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Perhaps the solution is for the relatives/visitors to keep their own set of notes with times and dates?

This would ensure they won't get 'lost' and would provide contemporaneous evidence should any disagreement take place further down the line.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We have considered whether we would be allowed to write in the care notes ourselves. We also thought about leaving a notebook in Dad's room so that visitors could write about how they found him, but we felt this might get 'lost' along with numerous pairs of glasses and slippers.
Notebooks are a good idea. All residents in my husband's nursing home have one on display in their rooms since it was suggested at a relative's meeting. They are used for 2-way information - queries, comments, anything really and are A5 hard-back books. Why not suggest this? There is also a clip-board with sheets of relevant information written as well.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Apparently they spent a year training staff how to care for and prevent bed sores and after a year they had learned nothing:eek:

If they had spent the money on paying above the minimum wage on qualified nurses they wouldn't have had to train them and the inmates would have had proper care for year. :mad:

sharina

Mar 17, 2010
Care home Notes

I must admit that the notes that relate to my mothers ends of life care bear no resemblance to reality. The family were in the room day in and day out. On about 3 occasions I went to find the senior carer to advise mum was thrashing and fisting.she inspected,said it was bone pain ???.and tried to administer calpol. None of this appears on the notes. They advised that mum was creamed all over....I did that with them 2 days before she died because I saw a bright red mark other bum ...they do not mention that I helped clean her bum. As for mouth care the family were all shown how to clean the mouth and we all did it. Also we spent hours trying to get her to drink sips of water.

The really disconcerting thing is that on the day she suffered shock she had been in agony in the toilet and V her carer said it made her cry. There is no mention of this pain and V crying. Quite significant symptoms left off her notes....shocking.

carricklady

Oct 16, 2012
County Tipperary
my sister and I both live outside of the uk and my mum is in a CH. We have had terrible problems with comunication between home management and ourselves, and even more with management to staff communication. We complained and asked for medical and care notes to be emailed to us. As I worked in the care field for thirty years, as soon as i saw the notes I knew they had been newly written up, both the medical and care plans. There were ommisions in the medical ones which were of importance and the care plan was laughable. My sister and I now put everything in writing and keep copies of emails and phone conversations. I was accused of lying about the content of a phone call and in the end we agreed to differ as we did not want Mum to be affected. When we challenged them on many issues they began to run scared and now contact us more, and seem to be putting more things into place for mum's care. The manager now emails us with any changes or appointments that are in the pipeline. I must admit though i was a bit shocked that she sent an email saying our mum was quite unwell, I think a phonecall would have been appropriate. We only live in Southern ireland so it is not expensive to call. It made me wonder that if Mum passed away suddenly in her sleep, would they send an email?!

Egeon

Oct 12, 2012
If they had spent the money on paying above the minimum wage on qualified nurses they wouldn't have had to train them and the inmates would have had proper care for year. :mad:
People in nursing homes would be treated far better in prison and prisoners would never offend again if put in a care home.......

sharina

Mar 17, 2010
Care Home Notes

I would advise everybody who has a relative in a care hoe to see the notes weekly and insist thy have a signed copy.