advice on health and welfare POA please

mcgradie

Jun 17, 2010
Hi all

My sister and I have the financial POA.

Mum has care 4 days a week all day at home. The carers are brilliant and take her to the day centre, to the pub, to the river, wherever she wants to go. She is very fit physically and very active, the reason why we have had to pay for care all day when we are not with her is because she feels intensely lonely when she is by herself and she goes out and finds people to ask home for tea. We have had numerous problems with strangers - most recently a youngish guy who was trying for a year to get money off her (eventually the police got involved and cautioned him), and last week an alcoholic who turned up at her door who she had managed to meet at the local shops before the carer turned up and invited to stay for a few days.

Anyway when the money runs out we are concerned that if we don't have the health and welfare POA we will not have any control over which care home she is allocated by the council. Are we worrying needlessly? Will having the POA make any real difference? It is going to be very hard at this stage to get a certificate provider prepared to sign anyway as mum does not consider she needs any support.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

rosiee

May 7, 2012
bump

I'm sure someone know better than me so have bumped it.

However, I'm not sure it makes much difference to choice of care homes but I was advised to get one for Mum by the carehome. I feel more comfortable that I will have a say in what happens in case I have to deal with a SW or healthcare provider having a bad (or some one would say normal) day. I've only met one really good SW, some of the others have strange views, sorry to all the really good ones I've not met!

mcgradie

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sure someone know better than me so have bumped it.

However, I'm not sure it makes much difference to choice of care homes but I was advised to get one for Mum by the carehome. I feel more comfortable that I will have a say in what happens in case I have to deal with a SW or healthcare provider having a bad (or some one would say normal) day. I've only met one really good SW, some of the others have strange views, sorry to all the really good ones I've not met!

Thank you very much Rosie for bumping, I haven't had a chance to return to the forum since I posted.

It's just a huge amount of paperwork to process but thank you for your thoughts, we will do it.

Any other thoughts gratefully received.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
When I was looking at LPA for my husband, I was told not to bother with the Health and Welfare, but I am so glad I did. In effect it means that you would be consulted as if you were your mum, if you see what I mean.

It also gives you access to health records and care home records,

I did both at the same time, feeling that it was better to have it than not to. I have used it on several occasions when asking for information from the GP and the CH.

I would definitely say YES.

Jan

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
When OH and I did LPA for my mum, we deliberated long and hard about the health and welfare.

In the end, we simply said what is the point of buying a dog lead without a dog !

Hope that makes sense.

mcgradie

Jun 17, 2010
When OH and I did LPA for my mum, we deliberated long and hard about the health and welfare.

In the end, we simply said what is the point of buying a dog lead without a dog !

Hope that makes sense.

thank you all very much.