Help and advice please....

brookbond

Sep 19, 2012
Yorkshire
Firstly I apologise for the length of this post, but I really don’t know where to begin, but feel that by describing the situation someone somewhere could possibly give me some guidance.

For some time Mum was becoming a little forgetful. Not in a big way, but would be very repetitive.
Then, last year my brother sadly died at the age of 39. He was a downs syndrome boy, and Mum absolutely doted on him :- He was the focus of Mum's life. That focus has now gone, and 18 months later Mum is still absolutely grief stricken.
From the point of my brother's death, Mum's decline accelerated. (AD diagnosis has been confirmed)

As this has progressed I feel I need to put certain things in place to safeguard both Mum and Dad. (Dad is not in the best of health, but does not have AD)

Question 1.
Can total grief be mistaken for signs of AD? As Mum is so grief stricken I wondered if the symptoms could be similar? Or could it be that the grief has actually accelerated Mum's decline. I had thought of getting Mum a dog so she had something to look after and focus on but not sure.

Question 2.
Because of Mum's condition I feel that I need to put into place power of attorney. Mum is not now capable of looking after her own affairs. But my worry is that she has gone too far to make the decision to give POA to me.
We have all agreed to go and have our wills made, and have the appointment with the solicitor next week. We will also be talking about POA, but if Mum is on an "off day" we will get nowhere. The other thing to point out here is that Mum has an Obsession with money. She is convinced that when her son died, my Dad stole all his money, when in actual fact it was all transferred to my Mum's account. Mum is convinced that there is no money in her account other than the payment of her pension which she says is £6 per week !. (I was also accused of this as well, but generally Mum is not against me)
She is so against my Dad at times, even refusing to believe he is ill himself.(Dad has emphasymia)

If anything were to happen to Dad, Mum would have no idea and would not be capable of dealing with property and financial affairs, so therefore I feel it is imperative to get something into place. My biggest fear is I would be accused of doing
this for the wrong reasons, and that it is too late for attorney. I also need to protect my Dad as if it came to the situation that Mum had to go into care, would Dad's home be under threat ?.

Question 3.
Whilst Mum is ok (ish) when talking to people directly, she has conversations with herself that is usually very accusing of people doing things. We now have the situation where Mum not only thinks her money has been taken, she thinks Dad is having an affair with her sister (they are both over 80!!) and that people keep ringing her up asking when she is moving out. I have been living with my parents over the past week or so and I have been quite shocked at the way Mum has declined.
So much so that I wonder if I should move back permanently, despite the fact that I have a business to run.
She is not at the stage where she is incontinent or anything like that but the personal appearance has definitely taken a downturn but she will deny that her appearance is not as it should be. It is dealing with this that I find hard along with the change in personality and thoughts on a daily basis. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the rant... but I really am at the stage where I am very worried.

JoshuaTree

Jan 2, 2010
Surrey
Hi brookbond.

Firstly it's not a rant. So no apologies ok?

What you've written out seems very wise indeed and I would def go for POA now.
On the money front, there is not much you can do but listen to the rant and accusations I'm afraid. You cannot reason with AD sufferes.

As for the decline after bereavement...YES.
I know that my mother's AD was brought on or accelerated by the death of my father. I mistook it for grief but things got worse

brookbond

Sep 19, 2012
Yorkshire
Help and advice please

Thanks for the response,
Thought Mum's condition was accelerated by the grief. It does seem to be getting worse.
The feelings of almost hate towards her sister are so out of character, and the constant "hunt the purse" is getting me down.

Obsessions with money are apparently quite common if not very wearing.
Will plough ahead with the POA or I can only see trouble ahead.

Thanks

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP
I am sorry to hear about your Mum and that your Dad is not in the best of health
Question 1.
Can total grief be mistaken for signs of AD? As Mum is so grief stricken I wondered if the symptoms could be similar? Or could it be that the grief has actually accelerated Mum's decline. I had thought of getting Mum a dog so she had something to look after and focus on but not sure.
I am wondering if the grief your mum is suffering is/could be at least in part due to Depression, If your mum is already on Anti depressants, the dose or medication may need changing, if your mum is not on Anti Depressants please speak to gp/Consultant asap

I am afraid accusations of theft, ect is normal
ie The person knows the money was there on the table, they moved it and put it under the mattress but they cannot remember doing it, that memory has gone perhaps forever
The person can see the money is no longer there or anywhere else you or they have searched
so someone has stolen it and those someones are mostly the closest people to them

With my mum I found certain fals memories seemed to stick and it didnt matter how much I tried to show mum otherwise (in fact doing so could upset mum more) because mums memory of the incident was real to her

I am going to put a link to a thread on here about communicating with the memory impaired, Its a hard act to follow but often helps if you can

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

I do believe the house should be safe , others here know the rules and I am sure will be able to reassure you on this

Last edited:

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello Brookbond,

The behaviors that you speak of are typical of AD. I understand how unsettling and disturbing they are. My mother hunts through her purse every hour or so everyday, muddling the contents even more. When my brother got the POA, she was afraid that he would take all of her money! When you get the POA, it simplifies a lot of things, and removes stress for her. Take care.

brookbond

Sep 19, 2012
Yorkshire
Thank you for your reply. What you have described about your Mother is very similar to what is happening with my Mum. Even though perceived events are imagined, they are very real to Mum, and as people have said, trying to tell her they have not happened only aggrivates. It is getting more difficult to deal with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09