Urinary tract infection

trisha45

Sep 11, 2012
oldham, lancs. england.
Hi all , This is my first post iv flitted round the edges but i need some help now.
My husband has Lewy bodies Dementia he was diagnosed over two years ago. I
knew he wasnt right for about three years before the diagnoses.
He has had a lot of uti s The last one was particularly bad , he had to send another water sample in . Today i phoned for the results and was told they couldnt do a test because there was debri in the sample . What dose this mean, its something else to worry about.Any one got any idea am i just going over the top.
Thank you all.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Welcome to Talking Point.

I'm assuming that they feel that the sample was contaminated. This might be for a couple of reasons: the container the urine was caught in wasn't sterile, or there was something around the urethral opening (such as soap or lotion) which contaminated the sample. They should have told you what they want you to do now rather than simply saying "we can't test this sample".

On the other hand, debris that comes from the bladder etc is indicative normally of something, but I can't imagine that that is what they are talking about here.

I would contact your GP and ask what you should do now - I suspect they will simply tell you to submit a new sample.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
This could refer to many things.

The likely cause is contaimination of the sample, for example by soap, dirt, dust etc.

Biological debris in the urine could mean that there are simply dead skin cells from the bladder or, less commonly casts and dead cells from higher up, such as the kidneys. In men, rarely, it could be retrograde ejaculation where sperm enter the bladder. Another possibility is a passed kidney stone - although these are well known for the extreme pain they can cause, tiny ones that are small enough to move through the uretal tubes often pass un-noticed.

I'd have thought that any biological cause wouold not have stopped the analysis, since the causes above are things that analysis can check for.

When a sample has to be sent for laboratory analysis, this usually means that they want to identify the precise type of bacteria causing the infection so that the most effective treatment can be used. Sometimes infections do not yield or are not completely cleared by broad-spectrum antibiotics or antibacterial drugs. This may be why the infections are repeating; espescially if the first treatment have killed off most of th ebacteria but left the resistant ones behind, meaning the following treatments do not work so well.

I would contact your GP for further advice.

In any case, UTI's are much rarer in men than women because the opening to the outside and the bladder are separated by a much longer distance. This means infective bacteria have far less access. Although elderly men, espescially those with underlying health problems or poor hygiene, are more vulnerable, repeated infections in a man usually result in further investigations because it is regarded as suspiscious, ie, may indicate a problem. Whereas in women such infections are routine and most women get them (even though they may never be aware of it, there are often no symptoms because the immune system deals with the problem)

The most common cause is a prostate problem, unqiue to men (women don't have one). As men age the prostate very often enlarges and this can mean they have problems passing urine effectively. This can lead to infections. The enlargement is usually benign and poses no risk to health aside from problem symptoms. Rarely, there is prostate cancer - this is usually slow growing and unlikely to spread, and in elderly men "watchful waiting" is often adopted, since they are likely to pass away from old age rather than the cancer. But it is watchful because occasionally, the cancer can grow quickly and spread.

Urine is normally sterile and clear, it should be a pale straw colour. Dark urine can indicate the person is under-hydrated. Cloudy or smelly urine usually indicates an infection which needs treating. Blood in the urine is never normal and should always be reported to a doctor urgently.

UTI's can exist and produce no symptoms at all. These are called "sub clinical". However, if the person has dementia, they can still produce the classic signs of increased confusion etc.

trisha45

Sep 11, 2012
oldham, lancs. england.
Hi all , This is my first post iv flitted round the edges but i need some help now.
My husband has Lewy bodies Dementia he was diagnosed over two years ago. I
knew he wasnt right for about three years before the diagnoses.
He has had a lot of uti s The last one was particularly bad , he had to send another water sample in . Today i phoned for the results and was told they couldnt do a test because there was debri in the sample . What dose this mean, its something else to worry about.Any one got any idea am i just going over the top.
Thank you all.

I d like to say thanks for the replys. I did get in .touch with my doctor and he was not able to say what the problem is with the water sample . I have sent another sample in and the doctor has asked for other tests to be done. He said it may be a kidney problem.
Have to wait now till Monday , thanks again Pat.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It is quite normal for a doctor to order further tests when a male patient presents with repeated UTI's. They are regarded as routine in women unless other symptoms indicate otherwise, but in men, they are regarded as "supiscious".

But even if there is an underlying cause it need not be sinister. The most common one is the harmless prostate enlargement that is very common as men advance in age. It is called BPH - "Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia". This is a medical term that, roughly translated "Your prostate gets bigger harmlessly"! Harmless, that is, except for the awkward symptoms it can cause.

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
For anybody who has repeated UTIs and has a catheter, did you know there are silver tipped catheters which are supposed to be much more resistant to infection? My son has had 12 UTIs since March and been on more or less continuous antibiotics whilst he is waiting for an operation. They are not routinely used because of cost and I only found out when I was doing some research in desperation. On one occasion there was also debris in his sample which was tested twice and due to skin, as Nebiroth has mentioned.

Coletta x

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes, metals like silver (and copper) kill bacteria. They are already looking at replacing stainless steel fittings like door handles in hospitals with copper based ones because whilst stainless steel is easy to clean and doesn't corrode, copper actively kills bugs. Ironically, in older hospitals the fittings were often brass or bronze anyway.

Copper couldn't be used in a catheter but silver could be. There are also plasters and bandages that contain silver for the same reason.