Carer's Individual Budget. How did you spend it?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
About ten months ago, when we were in a very dark place, the person overseeing my wife's care, sent me out of the blue a carer's assessment which he was about to send off even though he had had no discussion with me about it and has only seen me (with my wife) once.

I eventually had to contact his manager as he didn't seem to respond appropriately. They both came to see me eventually and he finally showed me a draft of the carer's assessment. It was largely a rather pointless ticklist which would prove that he had discussed various things with me and pointed me towards possible support. As it seemed such a token gesture, I made a couple of amendments and it was sent off. We have only seen him a couple of times since.

One part of the assessment was the carer's individual budget. The amount hardly seemed to justify the effort and the administrative time. However I feel that I should make use of it for some of the things suggested e.g. cleaning, sitting with, etc. We have paid out and continue to pay out for these things. (Indeed the couple of months of the year we have left may not be long enough to spend it all on these things.)

Anyway, I would be really interested though to hear how other people have used the princely sum awarded, if not for this year then for next.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I spent my husband's diect payments budget on helping me to care for him. In our case, because my husband wouldn't let the carer take care of him, I continued caring and the carer cleaned windows, made breakfast whilst I got husband washed and dressed etc., and generally helped me with the running of the home.

My husband would allow the carer in good weather to push him in the wheelchair for a short walk which gave me a little time for myself.

I can tell you the money was well spent and I never had the problem of monies left over!

xxTinaT

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks Tina. I'm thinking that this 'direct payments budget' is something slightly different. My wife is self-funding so she pays for a carer (6 hours a week). But it seems all carers are entitled to the carer's individual budget (which is different again from the carers allowance that is means-tested).

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Stanley,

I would get Social services to come and assess both you and your wife. There is a financial assessment made but usually some sort of contribution is made by social services and the assessment process is much the same as if you were applying for a reduction in council tax.

You have nothing to lose by asking for it and hopefully much to gain. As you say it is a joint assessment of both you and your wife's needs.

Very good luck to you.

xxTinaT

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hallo Stanley,
I think that this is what I was offred by SS as a carer for my mother. It wss not means tested - they didn't go into my financial situation at all. The SW just asked me if there was something I would like funds for e.g. to go away for a break, which I couldn't do. In the end, I thought of evening classes, and they offered me £400 to pay for 2 x 2-hour weekly courses for a year. The money is meant to be spent on yourself to do something away from your caring role, to give yourself a "treat". They will not let you use it on anything related to care for the person you are looking after.

In the end, I didn't take up the money because I get too tired to go out, especially in the dark winter evenings, even though my brother would have "covered" for me while I went out.

Do you have a hobby or something you like doing or maybe you could take a holiday? Hope this helps.

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Hi Stanley,

I spent all my allowance on 24/7 respite care for MIL at home, to enable us to visit my parents abroad. It didn't cover it, but was a big help.

Coletta x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Tina, thanks very much. We are actually both above the income level where any kind of financiaal support would be allowed (apart from DLA which helps - and is worth applying for in the end though an absurdly long form to be filled in). We live in an area where Social Services understandably concentrate on the large number of people who do qualify fincianlly.

Nita, thanks - what you describe is how it has been explained to me. I do have hobbies/interests but I still can't quite see how I'm going to spend it. AS you quite rightly suggest, there's still the issue of arranging 'cover' (paid or unpaid).

Thanks Coletta. Yes, it could be a contribution to something like that. It wouldn't actually pay for much more than 24 though, never mind 7!

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Our LA paid a maximum of "250 I think, every 2 years or so.

I used mine to pay for subs on an Ancestry type web site and certificates. I did family history research which Mum and I both enjoyed. We had some interesting discussions about her family and many of the people I thought were her confabulation turned out to actually exist. ;):)

It was a great exercise I'd recommend to anyone. Gave us lots to discuss when Mum was losing the art of conversation generally.