risperidone - bad idea?

mcgradie

Jun 17, 2010
Mum had her first proper sustained delusion on monday - elves in the garden. Same day an alcoholic turned up at the door when the carers were changing over and it was clear they had met this morning before 9am, mum asked him to stay for a few days and he said he would return when 'the girls' (the carers) had gone. mum hit one of the carers when they tried to stop her from walking down the road with this man - to do what? Who knows. She was hugging him. That day she hit the carers three times, again this is new behaviour.

She doesn't have a UTI (checked on monday at docs).

Mum is unlike many dementia sufferers in that she is extremely mobile and young looking (82 looks 65) and desperate for a man so we've had all sorts of problems with her asking strangers in for tea, one man we had to get the police involved. She is fast losing her inhibitions and we are now looking at 24 hour care in the home which is astronomically expensive. She is a self funder so we are lucky but if she wasn't I don't know what would be happening as I can't imagine social services would be prepared to offer this level of care even though she needs it.

The GP without knowing the recent developments wrote to her memory consultant on monday after having tested her urine to recommend risperidone. the cpn thinks it's a good idea. is it? She's been on 10mg aricept and aspirin (she has AD/VD) since june 2010.

Don't want her to zombify but these days when she is agitated and difficult are a real worry and she has never hit a carer before.

thank you for any advice.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
mcgradie, I am by no means experienced in these things. My Mam is 85 and still lives in her own home with daily support but if these things are out of character for your Mum then if it were mine, I would do all I could to protect her from 'herself'. I know it is what I would want. But if it is her nature then it's hard to dictate appropriate behaviour. (My Mam doesn't mind dust, it drives my sister crazy, she cleans all the time which in turns maddens my Mam) My Mam has begun to talk inappropriatly/flirt with men and it is so not her. It would distress her. I know her. I try to stop it from happening now. She is not yet at the unstoppable stage. Dreading, dreading the time that she is.
I also don't know much about the drugs that are offered to treat Dementia(Mam doesn't have any, Aricept made her agitated, anxious, heard voices) but what I have read about Risperidone is that it is contra-indictated for Alzheimers. Best wishes in your struggle

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Quite a few TPers have relatives on Risperidone. My husband, who has VD plus some Ad as well as diabetes etc. etc. was on it for hallucinations and paranoia. It worked for him and he was only on it for 4 months. There are quite a number of threads about this, if you search under the drug name. He wasn't zombiefied either!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I didn't mean with a reference to Zombie like states Saffie, perhaps it is just in connection with my Mams' specific health problems that accompany her Alzheimers and Vascular Demantia (heart failure, COPD) But is has definite side effects that preclude Mam from taking it. I'm not saying it's wrong for all, just it isn't right for all and is a high risk drug to boot. Pros and cons have to be balanced.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think with monitoring it's worth a try - it could be the difference between her being able to remain in her home or going to a care home. My husband has been on risperidone for over 18 months. We couldn't manage without it. Yes, it does have risks, but sounds like your mum's behavioural changes also have risks. I know it's not for everyone, but for us, it has done the job better than anything else, and has given us both back somewhat of a quality of life.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just an aside - my grandson of 10 takes a low dose of Risperidone as he has Asperger's. It is the usual drug for this condition. I was horrified when I heard but he is perfectly well on it though it is inclined to make him eat more!

p.s. Gwen, my comment re. zombies was in response to Macgrady's and Jaymor's posts - I don't think you mentioned it!

Last edited:

sotty

Oct 9, 2011
Dorset
Like LadyA's husband, my husband has been on Risperidone for over 18 months. He was a little sleepy for the first day or two, but that was a good thing as it helped him (and me!) to catch up on some much needed sleep. He was much calmer and easier to live with, so we all benefited from it. We tried stopping it earlier this year, but his agitation & aggression returned so we had to re-start it.

Without Risperidone I would not have been able to continue to care for him at home, which is what he would choose if he were able, so for me the advantages outweigh any potential risks - and fortunately for us he does not appear to have suffered any adverse reaction.

I hope you get the right treatment soon to help your Mum stay safe and calm.

stressed51

Jan 3, 2012
wales
risperidone

Hi TPers, my OH was on risperidone but it made him stay awake until 1 am, now after being in assessment unit has been put on lorazepam for agitation, aggression and paranoia as well as a different antipsychotic - amulsulpride(I think thats how you spell it), memantine and zopiclone for sleeping. He doesn't like going to bed, just to say really that these have all improved his behaviour.If one antipsychotic doesn't work, there are others, as they don't all suit everyone. He might be coming home next week,so I'll soon see then how or if he's improved to be able to cope with him. Fingers crossed :)