insensitive question

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
ok sorry for being insensitive...I really am not..my dad died in 2002 from a brain tumour
my mum was placed permanently in a NH jan this year due to az
possibly suffering for 4-5 yrs
what I need to know is how long will she live
in aus it is 2.5 years average from permanent NH placement till death
10 years average from ad dignosis till death
If you can,please tell me how long your loved ones lived so I can plan financially for her care
kind regards,
Jo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well Jo, I don`t think anyone will be able to answer your question.

For what it`s worth, my mother was in a NH for 6 years before she died, but had had Alz. 2 or 3 years before that.

We have just had news that the wife of an actor from Lord of the Rings has had ALz for 25 years.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question to be honest. However, how old is your mother and does she have any other health issues?

bernie

Jul 28, 2005
south london
A formula that I have seen is take somebody's life expectancy at time of diagnosis and half it.

Eg a 70 year old woman would have a life expectancy of 16 years before diagnosis. This reduces to 8 years at diagnosis.

This did not work with my mum she was diagnosed at 70 and died at 75, ie I was guessing that she would have had another 2-3 years to live.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother died less than 3 weeks after the nearest thing we ever had to a diagnosis.

We think that nowadays, because so much has been discovered and researched and analysed, that we can "know the date and the hour", but there are some things that just can't be planned for.

Lila

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Jo, I don't think it's an insensitive question at all. In fact, once you've been punched with the answer to 'Is there any cure?' I think it's the next most obvious to ask .....

I beat myself up coz my mum's diagnosis only came within the last twelve months ... the point of diagnosis surely cannot be any measure? Retrospectively I look back on 'first signs of symptoms' ..... which only those close to her would have known and long, long before any medic had any thought to question ..... two years ... five years - then there was that incident even 10 years ago which could be explained now?????

For my part - and yes including trying to plan financially for the unknown - I think it's one of the hardest things about this disease as a carer - knowing what is likely to happen .... but never being sure how long away ......

I wish I had the answer for you .... just to let you know there are others asking the same ........

Love, Karen, x

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
How long!

Dear Jo - As posted before, the question almost always comes up when caregivers are trying to plan for the future. I don't know of anyone who can give an answer. Many speculations but no concrete answer on "How Long". My wife was diagnossed with AD at age 56, so you can add another four to five years to the beginning of her decline. My wife is now going into her 67th year and has been totally bedridden since June of 2003. I'm a 24/7 caregiver and I ask God to let me live long enough to take care of her, no matter how long. _ McK

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
Hi jo

my mum was diagnosed last february (2006) as having a very progressive dementia they said she would have a year at the most, in oct (2006) the consultant told us her dementia had steadied and that he now couldnt tell us how long she has:confused:
i dont think you can tell with dementia, if she were to get pneumonia say and couldnt fight it it could be sooner rather than later, if her general well being is ok who knows how long.
sorry cant offer any more help
best wishes
donna

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Jo

you've asked the question that we all would like to, in honesty, just so we can plan for the best in everything, but particularly in making the most of the time of the person with dementia.

But there is no answer, no formula.

My Jan has been in her nursing home for 6 years, and I'm expecting as long again, fearing a whole lot more for her sake. Yet a bug could go through the place and she could be gone next week.

All we can do is our best, for as long as it takes.

With such potentially long periods, of course, the costs of care can be monumental.

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
zonkjonk said:
ok sorry for being insensitive...I really am not..my dad died in 2002 from a brain tumour
my mum was placed permanently in a NH jan this year due to az
possibly suffering for 4-5 yrs
what I need to know is how long will she live
in aus it is 2.5 years average from permanent NH placement till death
10 years average from ad dignosis till death
If you can,please tell me how long your loved ones lived so I can plan financially for her care
kind regards,
Jo
Jo ther is noway to to put time on life,my mum was ill for 8 years my sister 6 so my heart gos out to you and your family and your guestion was a very relistic not at all insentative take care dolly gee

asaltydog

Jun 22, 2005
N Wales
I read on the NHS direct website [UK] that the 'average ' time a person has
AD is 8 years.
We saw my mum was not 'quite right' in 1999 and she died this February.
Of course average only means that there will be as many people who
suffer from AD for a longer period than that, as well as a shorter period
of time.
Mum was 84.

Derek

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
thankyou for your honest replies
my mum is 70 with no other health probs except high cholesterol
I wont go into detail about mums advanced dementia , and I know what her future holds
given that from diagnosis to death
in aust it is 10 years and in the UK 8 years
mum has been exhibiting symptoms since 2002
as it is now 2007...we are probably about half way thru this emotional torture
warm regards,
jo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins