Day Centres

What is/was your experience of day centres for people with dementia?

• Positive [patient was under 65]

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Negative [patient was under 65]

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Positive [patient was over 65]

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Negative [patient was over 65]

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • I have no experience of day centres

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • There are no day centres within reach

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • There are no places available at the local day centre

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Not even sure if they are available in Australia, had never heard of them until I came here to Talking Point, maybe they are offered in the bigger cities of Australia??

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother refuses to go to any of the four day centres available in her area.

Lila

Queenie

Mar 13, 2006
My nan went to a few then refused to go because she didnt like it there, she didnt think she was ill and she could see the other people there were. She forgot that the minibus was picking her up and then refused to let them in the house because she didnt know who they were.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Fair enough to give up when you've tried and didn't like it, just wish my mother would give them a chance!

They have chiropodists coming round regularly, that would help. (I am hoping she will consent to go to chiropody next time my brother offers.)

Lila

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mum enjoy it in the past ,but did not like the food on Friday , because it was always the same mum told me that ,so when she go angina I am going to make a pack lunch for her

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
hiya,
Im trying to persuade my friend to try going to a day centre some week days. He lives alone and suffers from memory problems(we are waiting for the results of a brain scan) and he feels fed up and aone at home. He isn't keen on the idea of going to a centre but we have had really good experience with them in the past, my great grandad absolutley loved it and he went from not wanting to go at all to asking us if he could go everyday and be involved in the activities.
This was a while ago so i wondered if anyone knew anything about what day centres are like now? I thouhgt maybe my freind may have fun there and meet new friends, does anyboday have any experience of day centres?
Thank you very much for reading!
lauren x:)

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi
Mum use to like the daycentre, but now keeps trying to escape and the carers there are having great difficulty. Dad has never been very keen, but most of the time he goes to please Mum.

Mother in Law loves to go (she says she is going to school)

ME, I LOVE DAYCENTRE!! I can switch off for a few hours, when they attend

Alfjess

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
thanks

thanks!
if i could get my friend to try a day centre at least i could discount it if he didnt like it, thanks for your advise its nice to know what people who use the day centres think!
:)

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
day centre

Taking my hsband for the first visit to a day centre, turned out to be a very bad experiance. The first impression was not very good found it very overcrowded, to many people. And unfortunately a smell of urine. Husband refused to stay at all and had to bring him home. Think that I should have visited myself in the first place to see if I thought he would settle for a day there.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Lizbet

Have you contacted your local branch of Alzheimer's Society? They may have their own day centre in your area, and these are much better than the more general ones.

My husband goes to one, and though in the morning he doesn't want to go, he enjoys it while he's there. It's doing him so much good, because they work on his speech with him.

I had to wait three month for a place, but it was definitely worth it.

Love,

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Lizbet

I asked the Alzheimers Society for help. The lady from the Alzheimers society suggested mum went to a once a week afternoon meeting held for the over 60s. Mum enjoyed it. It was run by a charity, and one of the volunteers spent all her time with mum so that she fitted in. (of the 50 people who went only mum and one other lady had Alzheimers (or anything like it). I would never of thought of mum going to such a club as she was 90 with moderate Alzheimers.

Per

Apr 16, 2006
St Helens, Merseyside
J would not persevere with the day centre.

A year ago my wife was taken to a very nice day centre. She has AD. After the third visit she said she was not going any more. She would not give any reason other than that she did not like it. Her AD is advanced now and I can see it getting quite bad soon. Is it fair of me to push her into going to the centre again? Or should I leave it for a few months just to see if she could be amenable then? If I ever mention it she gets agitated.
Best wishes
Per

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Hi Per,

Welcome to T.P.,

I think i`d feel inclined to leave it at the moment, especially as it is causing agitation to your wife, possibly a few months down the line your wife may not even remember that she ever went there. So postponing a little longer may be the way forward for you and your wife.

Let us know how you get on,
Best wishes,
Jan. :)

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
Day Centre

Skye said:
Hi Lizbet

Have you contacted your local branch of Alzheimer's Society? They may have their own day centre in your area, and these are much better than the more general ones.

My husband goes to one, and though in the morning he doesn't want to go, he enjoys it while he's there. It's doing him so much good, because they work on his speech with him.

I had to wait three month for a place, but it was definitely worth it.

Love,
I am in touch with local branch of Alzhiemers society have found them very helpfull, and supportive. They do not have own day centre here, but would be very good if they did.
I am going on my own to look at another day centre, will be able to have good idea if husband would take to it. Getting him there would be a problem to get over..
However feel as though I do need some time to myself, feel as though am on treadmill which is running down. The years take its toll, and as I am in the 80s finding it hard work. Will give some feedback after visit. Lizbet

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
It is still early days yet, but mum, who is 82 and lives with us, has now been to day centre 4 Wednesdays.
The first time was a nightmare, I had to tell her the bus was coming and it had taken a long time to organise. I resorted to a white lie and told her I had a hospital appointment and there would be no-one at home to look after her.
She got ready, reluctantly and to cut a long story short she had a good day.
The next couple of times were similar but last week was positive and she said she looked forward to it. I had a good day myself doing lunch with my daughter.I feel it is important for my well being and sanity to have a day where I am not 'a carer'.
I hope this contiues, but I don't make plans as every day is a new day.

Janetruth

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
Day Centre

Having visited another day centre and found it very different from the previous one that I saw. In fact so nice could have spent some time there myself.
So am going to try and take George on Sunday, how I will be able to get him there
do not know, but am going to try.

Am sure it will do him good , will get him out of the house for a while, Besides just to have a few hours respite will charge batteries. Am feeling very tired could do with day in Bed.

Will take him mid morning and play by ear from there.

Hope that I can give you a good report on the visit.

Best wishes to all,

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
day centre

Took George to day centre this morning, told him we were going to coffee morning, we were made very welcome , George a bit hesitent, and gave me very warining looks. He had a coffee, one of the gentlemen came over and had a word said how he liked it there, as George had not got hearing aid in, was sure he could not understand a word. well after a while staff got me to just leave, must say was very upset at leaving but knew had to give it a chance. They brought him home about 4 oclock. He seemed ok, and hope that he will go again .

Got a bit of gardening done, but house seemed very empty without him. Might have a Sunday lunch out with my brother if he settles , one day a week would be a break.

He has been trying to tell me about it, but trying to speak is very difficult for him.
What a terrible thing this disease is, my first husband died of Motor Neurone disease, and do not know which is worse. I looked after him at home no respite care then. Lizbet

lizbet

Feb 26, 2007
north yorkshire
Just would like to feel very tired physically and mentally trying to look after everything, and trying to understand George and his needs.

Have got round to going to bed for rest every afternoon, saves me from collasping with fatigue.