mild cognetive impairment to alzheimers

carole robson

Oct 2, 2012
newcastle on tyne
Two years ago my mum was diagnosed with mild cognetive impairment, 9 months later was confirmed with alzheimers. What test determines this. To me she seemed no different.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
My mother has vascular cognitive impairment...but I understand this is dementia but mild/moderate?? sorry not much help am I

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
To me she seemed no different.

May be you had a much truer and fuller picture 9 months ago than the doctors were able to get at the time? I have been told the details of diagnosis can be fairly meaningless. What is important is to be in the system - as your mum is.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband had blood tests and an MRI scan and was then told he had alzheimers. For the first 3 years there was very little change in his behaviour. Yes his memory got worse, he went no where without a notebook and his driving was fine but he did sometimes forget a route to somewhere he had been many times. No two people progress at the same rate. My husband got cross because of his memory and was at times depressed which his GP gave him medication for and he was always loosing things. It was not until May of this year that everything accelerated and all the horrors of dementia came together to torment him beyond belief. Others on here have posted that their relative was diagnosed 6 months ago and already displaying all the aggression, incontinence, hallusinating etc. There really is no set pattern so maybe your Mum will progress slowly like my husband did.

Jay