Mild memory problems and driving licence at 70

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
The DVLA rules are quite clear - even if their letter wasn't - that, given the circumstances stated, he can keep driving while they process the renewal application.

As for insurance, check your policy and check with your insurer if in any doubt.
This is covered by Section 88. Re-applied for licence, so covered until adviced otherwise whilst case is being processed.

In this case, though, the DVLA did specify in their letter "Driving must cease" pending medical assessment. Not sure why, but they did.

Even if they hadn't, it is probably safest to report to your insurer any medical condition that you have reported (or should have reported) to the DVLA:

The Association of British Insurers published 'An Insurer's Guide to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995' which says "... it may be lawful for you to refuse to offer cover until the condition is notified to DVLA and you know the outcome of their decision".

... and if Alzheimer's is diagnosed, follow the Alzheimer's Society advice:

A person with a diagnosis of dementia must also immediately inform their car insurance company. If they do not, their policy may become invalid.

Driving and dementia
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=144

Last edited:

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
To PaulQEF

He would love to prove himself with a driving assessment. However, he has been told that 'driving must cease' so he cannot do that at the moment, because the test would take place on the roads.

When/if he gets his licence back it will be for a limited period, and we will certainly look to do an assessment next time, and include the result as evidence. We would certainly have done that if we'd known what we know now!

It's so easy to know what to do after the event, but we had not imagined that the DVLA would take this view for mild memory problems.

Why don't they just have everyone do another driving test at 70 and have done with it? Maybe that would cost too much?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Forum of Mobility Centres

I found the forum recommended by PaulQEF and found this is the FAQs:
Q Do I need a driving licence?
A To be assessed on the public highway, you do need a valid driving licence (full or provisional), however in certain circumstances it may be possible to undertake a preliminary assessment without a licence. As holding a driving licence does not necessarily mean that you have entitlement to drive, you should contact your local centre.
There is a page for Find a Centre, with details of the addresses and phone numbers. I recommend ringing your local centre to see what they can offer in terms of assessment.

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
test without a licence

Many thanks for that information. Currently we are awaiting another communication from DVLA. (It takes two weeks for them to receive a letter or three days for an email - I suppose due to the backlog of stuff they have to deal with?).
Everything takes a long time.
If that fails we will try the non licence test.

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Passed driving assessment

Well eventually he got an appointment for a driving assessment, requested by the DVLA.
The DVLA said they would give him his licence if he passed, so now he just has to wait for his licence to be issued.

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Still waiting for licence!

Apparently the DVLA have a huge backload. We are still awaiting the licence. We had a letter to say that it is coming. My husband rang them on Monday and they said it was in the post. On THursday he rang again to say it had not yet arrived and they then told him it is still being checked!!
I think they must have a list on the wall of things to tell people - anything to get them off the phone.
The whole sage (I've documented it all) reads like something that might be presented on a 'Dispatches' program on TV. Maybe I should send it to them.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I would think that once you have a letter from them saying the licence is coming, your husband would be ok to drive, surely? NOt his fault they have a backlog.

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Reply to LadyA

They did tell him on the telephone that he could drive, but it doesn't say that in the letter he got. Therefore he is very wary of driving until the licence actually arrives.

I wonder why they didn't say in the letter that he can start now? Especially in view of the back log, and the fact that he has been unfairly deprived of his licence all this time.

I'm sure you can understand that after all this time and hoo-ha he really doesn't want to risk messing things up now!

Thanks for your support anyway!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
From memory I think it used to be possible to contact the DVLA by email and get a reasonably quick response. Might it be worth ringing them again to ask if, having confirmed your husband is OK to drive over the phone, they could send you a quick email to confirm this whilst you are waiting for the licence to arrive. You could print this out and it would be tangible proof your husband was not breaking any rules.
Worth a try?
Tre

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
email DVLA

We will give that a try - thanks Tre.

When we have emailed previously it has taken a couple of days for a reply, although they open the email fairly quickly. Presumably someone opens it and passes them all along to the correct dept., like a mail room with mail.

MIKYPLUM

Jun 8, 2012
i know excactly how you feel i am having the same problem and i am only 65

:confused:
My husband has very mild memory problems. The Alzheimers web site indicated that this should not prevent anyone driving. So when we received a licence renewal form, in view of his upcoming 70th birthday, we thought it best to be honest and say that he has mild memory problems.
To our horror, his licence is being withheld pending medical evidence. We've been waiting since February now. His GP has written a letter detailing the mild nature of my husband's problem, and the fact that he tested normal on his last hospital visit.

Frankly I wish he'd never complained of memory problems, as he is really very little worse than he has always been. He's always lost things and so on, since he was in his twenties. Getting older has simply worsened it slightly. I am not much younger and I forget things sometimes also.

His driving hasn't changed at all. I've been driving for many years, and actually, in my opinion, he is a great driver. His reactions are still fast, and he notices everything.

The point is this, is it necessary to tell the DVLA if you only have a mild memory problem? Our experience seems to indicate that honesty is NOT the best policy here.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
don’t know if experience will help or not
Since the age of 60 ( I am now 83) I have been required to have a test every three years due to eye problems
The DVLA would write to me with instructions where and when to take the visual examination
During this period I never actually lost my licence , but the DVLA Medical board gave permission to continue
When I was 70 the system changed slightly
Like everyone over 70 my licence must be renewed every three years
I get the same requirement to have a visual eye examination as before , but I get a warning that my licence will be removed if I do not pass the test
I n all these years I have never received confirmation until well after the expiry date of my licence , but I have been told that until I receive notification to cease driving I can continue to do so
My understanding over all these years is that until the DVLA inform you in writing that your licence has been revoked , you may continue to drive ( sometimes I have not heard for up to 3 months )
jimbo 111

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Got it at last!

He's finally got his licence!

In reply to Jimbo: He actually had a letter telling him he must stop driving.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Great news Brenda. I am so pleased for you both although the time it took was unacceptable
Tre

Brenda230

Apr 28, 2012
Protest?

I've kept a 'time line' record of all correspondence and phone calls. It all sounds horrendous.
I wonder if the staff at DVLA are on a go-slow in protest at the cuts in staff and pensions etc.?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've kept a 'time line' record of all correspondence and phone calls. It all sounds horrendous.
I wonder if the staff at DVLA are on a go-slow in protest at the cuts in staff and pensions etc.?

Very sensible. I often wish I'd been as careful in this kinds of situation. You'd be doing a great public service if you sent your 'time line' to your MP and asked him to investigate.