Body twitches

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
My mum has Alzheimer's types dementia, she is in a dem unit, every 3 months on average she has these full body twitches where her whole body jerks and she is unfocused and is unable to speak these last for a few hours she has been admitted to the stroke team and has had brain scans would all seem ok, has anyone experienced this with a family member?

Laineyb

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Laineyb
Sorry to here about your Mum
It mmust be so worrying for you especially as scans etc are ok

When I saw the title to your thread whilst on new posts

I thought Myoclonic jerks but now I dont think so as , as far as I am aware Myoclonic (spelling ?)Jerks dont normally cause a person to be unable to speak,or be unfocused, I am sure others here will say if I am wrong in this

Please bear in mind I am no medic and I also have no wish to worry you

I am now wondering if it could be a form of Epilepsy
If it is their are medications that can help a lot

I do hope that the Cause is found soon as I know how worried I would have been if it were my mum suffering those episodes

My mum has Alzheimer's types dementia, she is in a dem unit, every 3 months on average she has these full body twitches where her whole body jerks and she is unfocused and is unable to speak these last for a few hours she has been admitted to the stroke team and has had brain scans would all seem ok, has anyone experienced this with a family member?

Laineyb

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello LaineyB,

This must be so distressing for you. Unfortunately I cannot make any suggestions as I plain don't know. However I am replying to bump this up to the top to see it the bright sparks on the 'day shift' can shed any light.

I do hope that you can get an explanation. It's the not knowing that upsets. Take care, BE

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
Hello LaineyB,

This must be so distressing for you. Unfortunately I cannot make any suggestions as I plain don't know. However I am replying to bump this up to the top to see it the bright sparks on the 'day shift' can shed any light.

I do hope that you can get an explanation. It's the not knowing that upsets. Take care, BE

Thank you for your help, they have started mum on anti epileptic meds (not sure how much this will help as she has these episodes once every three months) don't know if that is normal but have been told that it's probably progression of Alzheimer's I hate not knowing what's wrong with my mum, especially as she goEs catatonic and due to Alzheimer's has no recollection of anything that goes on I should be used to it by noW as she doesn't know who I am, well she knows I'm a daughter just not which one lol!

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband had similar episodes & was hospitalised as he was finding it hard to breathe also
It turns out that is was meds that he had been given months before (for unacceptable sexual/social behaviour) & they had built up in his body over a period of time He was taken off them immediately it was suspected by the hospital & seems to be OK now although he does shake a little now & then
Keep on until you get to the bottom of it as it is scary for you both

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi again LaineyB,

I was snooping about on the internet (stuff related to dementia) and found the following:
http://www.asktheneurologist.com/Anxiety-neurology.html

You will need to read to half way down the page: "The following neurological symptoms may be completely produced by anxiety, stress or other psychological issues:

- Seizure-like episodes known as "non-epileptic seizures"

I thought of your Mum. Anxiety is common in dementia (I mean, who would not be anxious about loosing their mental capacities?), and Mum is on meds for anxiety.

So, next I looked up Non-Epileptic Seizures on the internet.
Here is a site:
http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Associatedconditions/Non-epilepticseizures

Our Jack Russell has epilepsy. Without treatment he would have 2 to 3 terrifying attacks (I mean he is terrified afterwards and paces and paces) per day. He clearly needs twice daily meds to keep this at bay. However I know that even if it were to take place much less often, meds would be required. I know this isn't really relevant to your Mum, but epilepsy is often very infrequent.

Hope this helps. Keep looking til you find a solution. Would they consider giving her something to treat anxiety? Imagine if it were fear/terror? No one should be left feeling like that. Just a thought, certainly not a medical opinion.

Let me know how you get on. Take care, BE

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
Hi BE,

Thanks for your reply, has been a pretty hectic week, work, kids (7 and9) and mum!

They've started mum on increasing dose of epilem and they hope this will get her twitching/fitting under control,they seem to think they are some kind of myoclonic twitches (similar to going off in a deep sleep when body jumps you awake)' guess its just a wait and see scenario but so far ok, she is on anti depressants and anti psych meds not sure if these could be cause but am planning to see her gp in the next week to discuss treatment plan!!

Laineyb x
L
Hi again LaineyB,

I was snooping about on the internet (stuff related to dementia) and found the following:
http://www.asktheneurologist.com/Anxiety-neurology.html

You will need to read to half way down the page: "The following neurological symptoms may be completely produced by anxiety, stress or other psychological issues:

- Seizure-like episodes known as "non-epileptic seizures"

I thought of your Mum. Anxiety is common in dementia (I mean, who would not be anxious about loosing their mental capacities?), and Mum is on meds for anxiety.

So, next I looked up Non-Epileptic Seizures on the internet.
Here is a site:
http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/AboutEpilepsy/Associatedconditions/Non-epilepticseizures

Our Jack Russell has epilepsy. Without treatment he would have 2 to 3 terrifying attacks (I mean he is terrified afterwards and paces and paces) per day. He clearly needs twice daily meds to keep this at bay. However I know that even if it were to take place much less often, meds would be required. I know this isn't really relevant to your Mum, but epilepsy is often very infrequent.

Hope this helps. Keep looking til you find a solution. Would they consider giving her something to treat anxiety? Imagine if it were fear/terror? No one should be left feeling like that. Just a thought, certainly not a medical opinion.

Let me know how you get on. Take care, BE