Social Services Assessment

Magsie

Jul 13, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne
To cut a long story short a social worker is arriving on Monday to carry out an assessment on my mother with a view to sorting out direct payments to help with the cost of her attending a local dementia care day centre.

Could anyone please let me know what sort of information he will need when he does this assessment ie should I present him with bank statements, building society passbook etc? (I know I should have asked him when he rang to make the appointment but I think my brain is so full of sludge it's a miracle we managed to arrange a day for him to visit!!)

Many thanks for any help.

Magsie

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Magsie, I just wanted to pop this AS factsheet in for you.

When does the local authority pay for care?

In my own opinion, I think it might be helpful to have these things to hand just in case they ask for them. It would save you some stress on the day. I do feel its important to be as honest as you can be, often things work to your advantage and there may be some benefits that are due etc. We found the assessor who came to us very helpful and understanding.

Very best wishes. Deep breath :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Magsie when we had a financial assessment for my husband I had everything ready to show her but she just put down what I said and took my word for it, I don't know if this is normal but it is what happened to us, It would be best to have everything ready, ingoings and outgoings just in case they need to see them,

Best Wishes
Jeany x

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
Hi Magsie,
When we had an assessment for my Mum after her diagnosis 2 years ago, we had to show all bank statements to show any savings (none!), etc that she had. The financial officer has returned every year and asks to see every receipt for any activity that has been paid for. It seems that every local authority varies, and ours (West Kent) is very precise, but then they obviously need to know where their money is going. Good luck with the meeting on Monday. Jan x