THE ONE SHOW on BBC1 at 7pm on Wednesday 19th September 2012

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Just to remind you that, unless there are any last minute alterations to the date as happened before, The ONE SHOW on BBC1 on Wednesday 19th September at 7pm is due to have a feature on NHS CHC Funding and the imminent cut off date of 30th September 2012.

If the date does unfortunately change again, which I do hope it won't as this only leaves seven working days before the cut off date, then I will update on TP.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Very important reminder susiesue. Many people will know what you're talking about but as new folk are arriving all the time, could you, or someone else who knows exactly what the situation is, post a brief summary? If it helps one person, it will be worth it.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
You're quite right stanleypj.

Briefly anyone who feels that their loved one might have been eligible to receive NHS CHC funding can potentially retrospectively reclaim care home fees dating back to 1st April 2004 - 31st March 2011. HOWEVER, they now only have until the deadline of September 30th 2012 in which to register their claim.I have pasted below details from a previous thread which gives more details for new TPers.

'Just a reminder of the CHC Deadlines.

Closing the NHS Continuing Healthcare assessment process for cases during 2004-2012

For cases during the period 1st April 2004 – 31st March 2011 the deadline for individuals or their families and representatives to notify the relevant PCT will be 30th September 2012

For cases during the period 1st April 2011 – 31st March 2012 the deadline for individuals or their families and representatives to notify the relevant PCT will be 31st March 2013 '

The programme tomorrow is highlighting this deadline.

Last edited:

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
That sounds as if people have to have a lot of paperwork in place to register the claim - am I right in thinking that that's not the case but that you only have to register intent to claim? Because the cut off time is so close now some people may think they've already missed the boat if they have to do a lot of paperwork before hand.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
I understand that the first step is to notify your Primary Care Trust of the complaint by September 30th. Apparently all you need is basic information to lodge a complaint, which will include your relative's name, address of the care home and dates your are claiming for.

I think as the cut off date is now so close it would be a good idea to send this information by Recorded Delivery so that there can be no dispute about the date it arrives.

After that you will need to arm yourself with medical records and details of assessments etc etc but the most important thing now is just to register your complaint before the cut off date.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have been told that all that is required in the first instance is a telephone call saying that you wish to register a claim etc. Relevant forms will then be sent to you - so I've been told by an AS representative.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thanks for the reminder Sue I shall be watching and thanking my lucky stars that Vic was finally awarded CHC two weeks ago after months of stress for me.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
The details I gave were from a quote given by the solicitors who acted for me and who were quoted in the article on the Money page in the Daily Telegraph.

Bearing in mind it took my local PCT six weeks just to send me a letter (and by the way I still don't have the money even though it was agreed at a meeting twelve weeks ago!!), I would personally prefer to be in control and lodge my claim in writing, and preferably by Recorded Delivery, so there is no argument about dates. I would also make sure I kept a copy of everything. It would be awful if you missed the cut off date just because the forms either weren't sent to you in time/you never got them back there in time/or your call never got acted on.

Don't forget there are only seven working days left before the cut off date and I would not rely on anyone else at this late stage.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
This may be the article in The Telegraph that Sue is referring to:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ng-term-care-does-the-NHS-owe-you-80000.html#

'Far too few people are aware that their relatives could have been awarded this NHS care, so may not know they have a valid case." Lisa Morgan of Hugh James solicitors said: "It's like a secret. The local health authorities don't mention NHS continuing care because it will cost them money, and even nursing homes keep quiet, because they know how difficult it is to claim."

So how do families lodge an appeal? The first step is to notify your primary care trust of the complaint. This must be done by September 30 if you are claiming for a period between April 2004 and April 2011.

This process doesn't cover just those in care now but also those who have received care over this period but have since died. Ms Morgan said: "All you need is basic information to lodge a complaint." This will include your relative's name, the address of the care home, and dates you are claiming for. "Some trusts say you need to complete more complex application forms, but this is wrong." '

That is all that anyone needs to do as soon as possible. I agree with Sue - make sure your letter is sent a.s.a.p. by Recorded Delivery, so that it arrives before 30.09.2012, and make sure you keep the receipt, and check that it has been delivered/received before the deadline.

Getting hold of relevant records (if you want to do that) will take time and can come later. If the PCTs are inundated wtih claims, it may take a while before they even do more than sending out a letter of acknowledgement of your claim - if you're lucky to get one of them!! .

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
have been told that all that is required in the first instance is a telephone call saying that you wish to register a claim etc. Relevant forms will then be sent to you - so I've been told by an AS representative.

Just to update this. I have just telephoned the relevant number for my CHC and I've been told to send a letter giving specific information which will be sent on to another department. As I already have a letter prepared, i will be sending it recorded delivery. The lady from the AS suggested registered post but I should think a recorded delivery should be sufficient.

geum123

May 20, 2009
A taste of what will be on the one show.

http://www.hughjames.com/news/news_...lisa_morgan_on_the_one_show.aspx#.UFiYEHna9c0

Lisa Morgan speaks to The One Show, highlighting the imminent deadline for reclaiming care home fees in England

Hugh James partner Lisa Morgan talks to Anita Rani from The One Show on the issues facing families trying to reclaim wrongly paid care home fees before the 30 September deadline.

I agree with Sue and JPG1 make sure your letter is sent a.s.a.p. by Recorded Delivery.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A reminder for those in similar situations to watch The One Show tonight. Well done Sue for a successful action and for agreeing to appear on the programme .

I am not fully conversant here.
What needs to be established is if September 30th. is the deadline for putting claims forward, or for any activity regarding claims.
Can action be started on or before 30th and continued afterwards. or does it all stop there?

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
From what I understand provided you write and register the name of the person you are claiming for together with the name and address of the care home and the dates you are claiming for, then this will be sufficient in the first instance PROVIDED it is received by 30 September 2012 latest. After that initial registration I understand that the claim can be continued after that date - it's the initial registration that is so important and in my opinion should be sent by Recorded Delivery so as to avoid any queries about the date it is received.

Sylvia the reason I agreed to appear on the programme is because I was very angry that David had worked so hard all his life, a real workaholic! He had never ever been ill or required NHS treatment in hospital. He had always paid his stamp probably for nearly fifty years and then the one time when he desperately needed support the NHS didn't want to know. He seemed to slip between all the stools - private healthcare didn't cover him, NHS didn't cover him and Social Services didn't want to know.

In my opinion as he had early onset Alzheimers, which was not age related, this was a disease and I had always been led to believe that 'the NHS was there for everyone', but it wasn't there for him.

I am sure there are plenty of other people in his situation and that is why I agreed to do the programme - the reclaimed money will be great but it was the principle and I know David would be the first to agree with me!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Just received an email confirming the programme will definitely have the NHS CHC feature tonight at 7pm.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
I'll be watching too Kassy. I'm so proud of Sue, when she was first approached to do this she didn't want to - too many painful memories, but I'm afraid I nagged her rather, :eek: - it's so important to highlight this. Actually, it didn't take much nagging, she knows how important it is to let people know about the time limit whether they choose to use a solicitor or do it themselves isn't relevant - they just need to get those claims in in time. I do know she talked about tp and how important a support it is - lets hope they don't edit that out! Where would we be without it?

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Thanks Sue

I just watched it...What great coverage, I was quite amazed at how long they spent on the subject.

Well done Sue :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Sue. You spoke well . I found it upsetting to see videos of David. I don`t know how they affected you.