What do i do?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm so glad that you had a good day Jan. I hope that it will be followed by a good night's rest as i am sure you are in need of it. One day at a time - that's a good mantra to live by with this illness. X

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm so glad that you had a good day Jan. I hope that it will be followed by a good night's rest as i am sure you are in need of it. One day at a time - that's a good mantra to live by with this illness. X

Thanks Saffie. Mmm sleep, what a lovely thought. I've forgotten what is like to sleep all night. No doubt it will happen again one day.

Hope you're Ok.

Jan x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Have just been back to the CH, as when I phoned I was told he was unhappy. I got back and he was fine, tired but fine. He was drinking a cup of tea and had some sandwiches. I helped him to get ready for bed, and then we had the changing of the guard. I left him, and he was on his way to bed.

So am I! I hope I sleep tonight!
Jan x

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
I’m so glad you and R had a much more peaceful day today, it must have come as a great tonic after yesterday and sounds like your mood has lifted a lot too. Even though I know with dementia things can fluctuate from one day to the next, do hope once R. settles into a new routine the calm days far outnumber any bumpy ones. All my best wishes for another good visit tomorrow. Pxx

shauna

Sep 10, 2010
HI jan,
Im so glad you had a good day today with R. Hope you get a good nights rest and that tomorrow is as good as today for you both.

Shauna

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Jan,

Well today is another new day and I hope it brings you pleasure as you visit R. It was good to read that you had a lovely visit yesterday.

I'll pop in later to see how you got on.

Thank you for your message on my blog.:)

Love

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you shauna and p for your posts. I was thrilled that yesterday was good.

Yes Celia, i keep waking up through the night, and sometimes pop in to see what's happening. I didn't stay long last night!

Hi Helen, yes, today's a new day,and i am hoping for a good one for both of us.

Love j x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Hi Jan,

Really pleased that yesterday was a good day, it must have been such a relief to you. I hope that today is another good one.

It sounds as though you have still not caught up with your sleep. You must be exhausted. I hope that the meeting next week will bring you the news you would like and so to enable you to relax and able to think about yourself a little too.

Thinking of you today xx

amicalia

Jul 9, 2011
Sussex
Just caught up Jan and read through the recent ups and downs, you really are experiencing different things day to day, even hour to hour, at the moment, and that must be stressful and tiring. I am sure at the end of all this turbulent time there will be a calmer life where you can just enjoy more visits like yesterday's, hang on in there, you are doing a great job

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Another Day!

I had a lovely visit to see R today :):), after a very shaky start.

I had just arrived at 1.00 and received a call to tell me he was being violent. I went to his room to find him sitting on the bed, with one of the CH carers (not his own armed guard), helping him to dress. I walked in and he was really pleased to see me, all smiles and gentle. He told me he'd been mugged, in other words he felt the armed guard was attacking him! While they were dressing him, he was watching her all the time, having trust in the CH carer.

It appears that the armed guard had felt she should be doing something, so decided it was time for him to get up! He didn't agree, so kicked off. She ran out of the room screaming and CH carers went in, one of them said "Hello Handsome", which she always calls him and everything was fine.

R was delightful today, very happy, and amenable. I admit, he needs very careful handling. I am angry again, that this has happened, through lack of experience.

I wonder where the agency gets these people from. I know they are inexperienced, because one of them told me it was his first job. Some of the others have been better, but of course to R it is all new faces.

The poor man, is undergoing a change of drugs, with a sleeping tablet added in, he has 24 hour armed guard, sitting over him, and he is aware that I am stressed, because no matter how hard I try to hide it, he is very sensitive to my feelings.

Sorry, this is another ramble, but sometimes I feel there is no common sense in the world, and these agency staff do not know how to deal with severe dementia patients. To tell me she had watch him sleep all morning, and felt she should be doing something, really took the biscuit for me. I carefully explained that she needed to think about R's best interests :( I don't think I should need to do that.

Thank you for reading my ramble.

Jan xx

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
AS long as carers have such low status and are paid a minimum wage, there will be incidents and comments like this. It is no comfort Jan I know but the system is failing us.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
You're so right Sylvia. I have just phoned and R is so calm still. That makes me able to go to bed feeling happy.

Oooh that pile of KitKats in the kitchen, I can hear them calling me!

Jan x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Hope you enjoyed your Kitkats Jan, I had some chocolate today and it was delicious.

You may sleep better tonight? I hope so.

Things will work out for your husband I'm sure. Xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I haven't touched one .... Yet! They keep calling me, but i'm trying to be deaf. I wouldn't enjoy one anyway, two maybe! :eek:

No they belong to R and to eat them would be stealing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet