peg feed

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Thank you Jan. It's a scary journey. Support helps a lot I have discovered.
I am assuming right that your name +1962 is your birth year? It was a good year as that is mine also ;)

hi CAW,

it is a scary journey, one on which i am going to encounter soon. my MIL has advanced AD/Vas Dem. she is being moved from the assessment unit soon to a lovely nursing home, where she will receive pallative care. she has many medical problems which far out weigh her mental health. they have found a lump on her breast, she was was only given the all clear last year after having a lump removed. have not told my FIL abou this as he himself is not well one heart attack and two strokes in the matter of 2 weeks.

you are right in that 1962 was a good year as yes that is the year i was born, so celebrating my big 50th next month.

jan1962:)

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hello Carol,

Just dropping by to see how you are feeling today, and how your mum is?

Thinking of you both x

CAW

Mar 4, 2008
Worcs
Very kind, thank you. I just got to the hospital. 200 miles journey but worth it every time. I'll post an update later.

CAW

Mar 4, 2008
Worcs
Well not a good day at all. Mom had a seizure over night and then I learned she has pneumonia. How much more can I take?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Carol

I have been checking in to see how you got on today, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum are they managing to use antibiotics to help with the pneumonia?

200 miles is a long way to travel to see your Mum, I hope the hospital is good at keeping you informed about Mum's care.

Helen x

CAW

Mar 4, 2008
Worcs
They gave her penicillin. I just pray that has eased any discomfort. I wanted to stay all night besides her. I am really not prepared for this. :(

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Carol,

I have been following your thread but haven't posted before. Sorry to hear that your mum has had a bad day. The fact that they were able to put her on anti-biotics quickly shows that she is in the right place just now as she can get the attention she needs.

I feel for what you are going through right now. What is lovely is that no matter how stressed this is making you feel, you are setting this aside in order to be there for your mum. There is nothing more that anyone could expect you to do and I am sure that your mum is proud of your for being there for her and that she has been able to depend on you to look out for her. Just remember though that you have needs too and that you don't want your health being affected by what is going on. Yes we all want to be there and stay overnight if necessary, but sometimes the best thing we can do is get some sleep so we are refreshed the next day. Make sure the hospital know how to contact you and also when you would want to be contacted (eg if there is a sudden deterioration, say, in the middle of the night). This was the only way that we could continue to function - we worked on the basis that we went home for some sleep knowing that we'd get a call if anything changed or the "no news is good news" scenario.

I hope that both you and your mum have a peaceful night...

Fiona

CAW

Mar 4, 2008
Worcs
Those are lovely words and have brought tears to my eyes. The kindness in this forum is something special. Thank you.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi Carol

I am sorry to hear what you, your mum and your family are going through. It is a terrible time. I was there 10 years ago with my mum (not dementia but glioblastoma) and, unfortunately, will be there much sooner than I would like with my wife. I do think that the response to your mum's pneumonia shows that they are not dismissing her due to the dementia, but rather are most concerned about her comfort and well being. I hope you have a good visit with her and may the rest of her journey be easy and painless.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Carol,

Oh dear, not the news you wanted to hear on your arrival.

I agree, it sounds as though the medics are doing what they can for your Mum in treating her as an unwell person, and seeing past the dementia. All they can do is try, and it should hopefully bring your mum some comfort.

Sometimes it just seems to keep coming in spades, doesn't it? Just focus on today, and getting through that. I hope the antibiotic starts showing some effects soon.

Best wishes x