Reclaiming care home costs

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
congratulations Sue glad to hear someone has won their case i got cc when Harold went in the NH because of his aggression but April this year he was reviewed and it was taken away he cant walk talk move has to be hoisted his food pureed and has to be fed .i appealed against the decision but lost so where do i stand Milly

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
congratulations Sue glad to hear someone has won their case i got cc when Harold went in the NH because of his aggression but April this year he was reviewed and it was taken away he cant walk talk move has to be hoisted his food pureed and has to be fed .i appealed against the decision but lost so where do i stand Milly

Hi Milly.

That's helped answer my question. I didn't realise (and maybe others don't) that CHC can be taken away after a review. Did Harold just natually get less aggressive as the dementia progressed so that he no longer needed meds/special supervision to control it?

Thinking aloud here, I can see that if the meds are no longer needed, then the 'primary health need' that geum is talking about is no longer there and, like my mum (and lots of others) he now needs good personal care, rather than nursing care.

I'm not trying to debate the rights and wrongs of this, btw, I'm just trying to get my head round the thinking behind the decisions.

I think there's a lesson there for everyone though - just because you are granted CHC, don't assume that the financial side is taken care of for ever.

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
Chemmy this is more or less what was explained he can still be aggressive but because he isn't mobile its not as much of a problem .he is in bed most of the time and is just getting over a chest infection Milly

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy