medicines dilemma

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
Sorry to start another new thread but I thought it best as this query is a different subject altogether.
For some time now Mum has been refusing to take her meds.She has 3 inhalers for COPD plus anti depressant, pain killers, vit D and several others I can't remember.
About 2 months ago I was visiting when the doctor did his rounds.He told me he'd order some sort of spacer thingy so the inhalers could be admnistered that way seeing as she could no longer remember how to use them properly even with help.
Two weeks ago she had a visit from the CPN and I arranged to be there.The woman was useless, had no idea whatsoever how to try to communicate with Mum.The upshot was that she was going to get the consultant and gp to sort out meds in liquid form so Mum could have them put in drinks.I had already given permission for the home to disguise meds where needed, the CPN pompously told me that SHE would also give permission for this.Excuse me, but who is next of kin here, who's Mum is it???!!!
Any way, here we are 2 weeks on and no liquid meds, no spacer no nothing.Not quite sure how Mum is still alive without all the meds but there again it begs the question of were they all necessary!

I feel so cross about all this. I changed her gp to the one that visits the home because I thought it best but really regret it as her other gp was so much more on the ball.I have told the home I shall contact the surgery myself as they have asked about the changed meds loads of times but to no avail.

I feel out on a limb here though as I am no longer her carer.Sometimes I wonder just how many more years of this there is left,my husband is very supportive but I suspect he is totally fed up with me always having to sort stuff out etc

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hiya...have you got a Health LPA in place...the GP practice would have to recognise your place in the grand scheme of things ( So would the CPN:)) Even without that I would ring Mum's GP and ask them to " repeat a prescription for an Inhaler Spacer" explaining that Mum had been prescribed one by the hospital but you think she has thrown it out...well at least you can't find one!!! Tell them that you would also like an appointment to discuss Mum's medication so you can pick up the prescription at the same time.
I do know what it is like to be always having to be the one to force action, but try ( yeas I know it's hard:) ) to switch off from caring for a couple of hours a day.
Good Luck.x.

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
Hiya...have you got a Health LPA in place...the GP practice would have to recognise your place in the grand scheme of things ( So would the CPN:)) Even without that I would ring Mum's GP and ask them to " repeat a prescription for an Inhaler Spacer" explaining that Mum had been prescribed one by the hospital but you think she has thrown it out...well at least you can't find one!!! Tell them that you would also like an appointment to discuss Mum's medication so you can pick up the prescription at the same time.
I do know what it is like to be always having to be the one to force action, but try ( yeas I know it's hard:) ) to switch off from caring for a couple of hours a day.
Good Luck.x.

hi Maureen,
Np I don't have a health LPA, the solicitor said it wasn't necessary as I am her next of kin and have no siblings to argue with.When she was at her old surgery before she got ill she gave the practice permission to speak to me about any of her care so I am hoping this is somewhere in the notes that were transferred and will still be valid at the new place.
The annoying thing about the spacer is that the gp visited Mum in the c/h and said he'd deal with it but nothing has happened.All her prescriptions go direct from the surgery to the chemist then they deliver to the home.I think I need to "have a word" in some ears. Sometimes I think it was easier when I looked after her in her own home, at least I knew more or less what was going on then! Having her in a home and being on the outside' of things makes it harder in some ways although obviously I don't have the pressure of 24/7 care.
Viv

greenengland

Jan 6, 2012
My sister and I discussed Mum's meds and decided that since mum won't take them that she shouldn't have to.

The consultant agreed with us so Mum is med free and happy avoiding side effects that would just add more hassle to her life.

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
My sister and I discussed Mum's meds and decided that since mum won't take them that she shouldn't have to.

The consultant agreed with us so Mum is med free and happy avoiding side effects that would just add more hassle to her life.

I wondered about this too, except that my Mum has Copd among other ailments and I worry that without the meds she will get such a bad chest she'll end up hospitalised. I have also wondered if somewhere in her confused brain a little voice is telling her that to refuse meds would speed the end along, although I doubt she has the ability to reason that way any more.

I just don't know what to think any more.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I just don't know what to think any more.

You really can only do what you can Viv. I know how upsetting it is as my husband went through a phase of throwing his diabetic meds out of the toilet window or hiding it in his shirt and pyjama pockets.

If your mother refuses she cannot be forced. There might come a time when she agrees again, if she has any symptoms of her COPD which is painful or uncomfortable. My husband asked why he felt so rough and was able to take notice when I told him it was because he was refusing his medication.

You are doing all you can.

greenengland

Jan 6, 2012
If your mother refuses she cannot be forced. There might come a time when she agrees again.

That is exactly what the consultant said recently in a conversation with my sister.

All the current meds for memory loss were explained and the consultant said there was just no way of telling how mum would react to them and since none are a magic wand then there was no point making mum take them.