Financial advice please

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
hi all, haven't been in here recently, things not going too well:-(

Mum is almost down to the £23000 in her money and I think I am not allowed to pay her fees from it after that, is that right? What do I do then?we can't pay for her:-( Do I ask county to help, if so what happens if they won't pay the full lot?we can't pay any so what will happen to her?I am really worried about this as I don't want her to just be shoved somewhere by ss as I am sure it would make her worse than she already is:-(
Am starting to have sleepless nights over this.Care home didn't seem to be able to advise.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Mum is almost down to the £23000 in her money and I think I am not allowed to pay her fees from it after that, is that right?

It isn't a case of your not being allowed to pay fees from capital below that amount so much as that you are entitled to help with fees when capital falls below it. Due to the intransigancy of the financial department, my husband's capital was down to £18,000 when the LA started to assist with his fees

You need to get in touch with Social Services who will arrange for a financial assessor to come out and assess you mother's financial position. They will then take it from there. If a cheaper home is suggested, and it might not be as they have to fulfill your mother's needs in an appropriate home, you can argue that it would be detrimental for your mother's health and condition if she were to be moved. It will ultimately be up to the SS though. In general terms, if a more expensive home than is necessary is chosen, then top-ups are required from relatives.

vdg

Aug 6, 2009
Hampshire
It isn't a case of your not being allowed to pay fees from capital below that amount so much as that you are entitled to help with fees when capital falls below it. Due to the intransigancy of the financial department, my husband's capital was down to £18,000 when the LA started to assist with his fees

You need to get in touch with Social Services who will arrange for a financial assessor to come out and assess you mother's financial position. They will then take it from there. If a cheaper home is suggested, and it might not be as they have to fulfill your mother's needs in an appropriate home, you can argue that it would be detrimental for your mother's health and condition if she were to be moved. It will ultimately be up to the SS though. In general terms, if a more expensive home than is necessary is chosen, then top-ups are required from relatives.

thank you for this info.We simply do not have the money for top ups so I hope it won't come to that.I shall get hold of SS asap.Ergh! I hate dealing with them!last time was when Mum was told she had to go into a home and that was like talking to a chocolate teapot! hope we get a different one this time!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Nobody can make you pay top-ups but having said that, it does limit choice I know, though a lot depends whereabouts in the country you live. However, as your mother has been settled in her home for some time I would think that the SS would be reluctant to move her and i would certainly stick to that argument yourself! Good luck.

p.s.Just noticed that you live in my county! Very good luck then - and certainly the topups will be expensive so a definite no-no!