One Does More One Does Not

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear WhoKnows,

This is an age-old problem, that crops up on TP fairly regularly, to the point that there is a nickname for the less-involved: "The Invisibles"......

So there's no real way to redress the balance, you have to accept you're on a higher level, appreciate the occasional thanks from a family member, you're doing a great job and continue to fork out £ 200 for boiler, £ 400 for smashed front door glass, top & bottom, now put in toughened, taxi fare to care home, respite care home fees etc etc...surely there's a way to get some compensation for that, leave aside the Love aspect, sure we'll all do anything for parents, but when we worse off financially, isn't that taking the proverbial ?

I really don't get why Society Says it's ok for 1 to do loads, 1 to do zero, and further, get away with it........it's plain not right and I'm not happy with this situation.

I don't know whether you have tried to address this imbalance and it has fallen on deaf ears? But no, it isn't fair that you should be paying for repairs or replacements - does your father not have the funds to pay for these things himself? Or do you just find it difficult to ask for a refund for the monies you have paid out?

It is possible to stop this resentment growing and ruining your waking hours - step back. We can make choices, even when faced with difficult situations. I'm sure that it might feel like abandoning your dad, but you won't actually be much of a help if you make yourself ill or very unhappy by not simply stating your needs here. It may just be that your uninvolved sister or your father don't realise what is happening, and need the situation made clear.

Sorry if you have tried these things and found that you don't get a response. It is up to you how much you are willing to do - you can make a choice to carry on at this level or step back (I know, easier said than done) ;)

Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
So there's no real way to redress the balance, you have to accept you're on a higher level, appreciate the occasional thanks from a family member, you're doing a great job and continue to fork out £ 200 for boiler, £ 400 for smashed front door glass, top & bottom, now put in toughened, taxi fare to care home, respite care home fees etc etc...surely there's a way to get some compensation for that, leave aside the Love aspect, sure we'll all do anything for parents, but when we worse off financially, isn't that taking the proverbial ?

I really don't get why Society Says it's ok for 1 to do loads, 1 to do zero, and further, get away with it........it's plain not right :( and I'm not happy with this situation.

WhoKnows you shouldn't be paying hundreds of pounds for things for your father he should be paying for them himself , If he has not got the funds to pay for respite you should get a financial assessment done and they will tell him how much he has to pay it will be what he can afford none of this should be paid by you or your siblings , I can't understand why you should offer to pay,

Jeany x

Last edited:

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I can feel the anger and frustration oozing out of you in your posts and its horrible to feel this way. You shouldn't be paying for any of this. If someone else was in the same situation you would probably say the same to them.

Its not clear from your post if your dad is living at home, or in a home. If he is in a home then it shouldn't be your place to pay to have his home repaired, and I'm not sure why you'd be doing this. If he is at home you should be getting support from Social Services to help care for him, and relieve some of the burden from you. I don't know if this is a country-wide thing but our local council also has a 'care and repair' service for older people where they find you a tradesman to do odd jobs at a reasonable price.

Sadly though, life isn't fair. If it was this forum wouldn't even need to exist and none of us would suffer from, or have to care for anyone suffering from dementia or alzheimers. But it isn't, and we do - however there just may be things that can be done to relieve some of the pressure on you.

Carrie Anne

Sep 7, 2011
Wiltshire
I do it all too. My brother lives abroad rings Mum occasionally and replies to my update emails with " ok thanks for telling me".

He was over recently, I had high hopes , due to quite a decline in Mum's condition, that he would suddenly start volunteering to help with advice and support, but no, he has gone home to his high flying way of life, leaving me to cope, no holiday again, unable to get on with growing my little business.

The realisation in the last few days, that I really am totally on my own with this has, after a whole day of tears and tantrums on my part, given me a bit of a kick and I am now determined to employ some help for Mum at mealtimes a few times a week and probably to take my time looking at care homes and really getting my head round what lies ahead. I can actually say I quite enjoyed my visit to Mum today, we had some laughs, quickly followed by a few tears as usual, but I feel like I've turned a bit of a corner.

I think Mum will probably need to leave her house in the next year, and in the grand scheme of things a year really isn't long for the peace of mind, knowing I did my best.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
My OH and I do what we do because my mum is ill, end of conversation !

Neither of us cares what others think, do, say etc etc.

We do what we THINK is the right thing to do, according to US, end of conversation.

What any will may say etc etc etc, so what ?

Some may say we are stupid, insane, crazy etc, so what ?

We are both fully grown adults and are perfectly capable of making our OWN decisions for US.

Hope this helps

Night-owl

Feb 10, 2011
S. Lincs
Sheep and goats

A note to the folks who have 'Religious Invisibles'. You might try asking them if they remember the parable of the sheep and goats. The point of it is that we are judged by our compassionate actions and not by our religious sentiments!
I've been waiting to hear from my brother today, as I was expecting him to come tomorrow to help sort out Mum's stuff in storage. Nothing so far. But, he is 72, and lives 90 miles away. I know he's a hoarder too, so might not have been much help; he's also rather afraid of trying to relate to Mum now. I realize that, in this area of caring for her, I am no longer the little sister, but the stronger of the two of us. We all have strengths and weaknesses, and this has turned out to be one of my strengths.
Also, I have not asked the rest of the family to visit more...just assumed they didn't need an invitation, whereas they probably did. I don't want to upset family relationships either, and have made the decision not to resent the more carefree members. We are lucky in that Mum(6 weeks off 100), is great at expressing her appreciation for everything we do.
Hoping for better times for you all who are hurting over these issues,
Love, Night-owl xx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Whoknows,

Irrespective of what the balance of involvement is on a daily basis in terms of hands on caring for your parent, I would suggest that such caring should not, to my mind, involve acceptance of financial liability too. You don't say what financial arrangements are in place but if you don't have power of attorney in place, then I would get this done. If things are beyond the stage when power of attorney can be given, then I would consider applying for Deputyship. If nothing else this would allow you to manage your parent's finances and have access to funds to make payments that should fall to them and not to you.

In our family not everyone has the ability to contribute financially on a regular basis, some of us are able to but obviously only up to the limit of savings etc. My two sisters and I however agreed that when our mother died that those financial obligations which each of us had taken care of would get refunded from the estate before any inheritance is divided up between the 3 of us. If nothing else, could you and your sibling reach a similar type of agreement perhaps - you could even have it documented by a solicitor and both sign to make the agreement legal. If this is not going to happen, then you could (assuming you've kept receipts and can show the payments were made by you) declare yourself as someone who is due payments out of your parent's estate. Such liabilities to all creditors have to be settled before the provisions of the will can then be put in place. Might be worth speaking to a solicitor now to see if this is a way in which this can be handled so you get a measure of financial recompence, albeit at a later date.

Just a suggestion...

Fiona

Last edited:

Wabbit

May 20, 2012
Hello,

I see that many of you are angry at the injustice of the situation in which you find yourselves and I sympathise with you because over the past months I have often found myself raging in this way. Today, in a calmer frame of mind, I say: Yes, there is no denying the injustice, but at the moment I see no way of redressing the imbalance. Maybe, at some point in the future the Government could be persuaded to introduce legislation obliging those not willing to pull their weight in providing care to contribute financially. Hit them in the pocket and make it hurt!:eek: :D Constantly mulling over the injustice simply damages your own health, so try to push it out of your mind. Concentrate on other things - anything that makes you laugh or just interests you - try to learn a new language and recite all the verb forms or the new vocabulary you have learnt. Blank it out, the pain will subside in time. Believe me, I've been there. Below is my story:

My story relates to N. Ireland and I am the eldest of a family of 6. I believe the system here is slightly different to mainland UK, but it may be of some help to others: I discovered over a year ago that one of my sisters had emptied my mother's second bank account and had then proceeded untroubled to gain control of her main bank account.

My mother has been suffering from dementia for 4 years now, but my sister didn't have to produce any kind of medical evidence in order to take over both accounts. For the first one, she just applied for a debit card and helped herself! For the second, she claimed when challenged that a bank clerk had told her that mum clearly was no longer able to handle her own financial affairs and suggested that she take control, which she willing did, while keeping it secret from the other 5 members of the family! (In fact, it later became clear that another sister was also party to the deception). Little of the money she withdrew was spent on my mother. In spite of this, my discovery caused a major rift in the family, with most of my siblings - unbelievably - siding with her.

I had a stop put on my mother's bank account to prevent her withdrawing any more money. This worked for a couple of months. Then the bank, without informing me or anyone else in the family, started allowing her to withdraw £100 per week. She claimed that this money was being used to support my mother. In fact, it was pocket money for herself and I, meanwhile, was supporting mum! I later discovered what was going on and again asked the bank to cease allowing her to withdraw money from my mother's account. Since she was now denied access to that account, she drove my mother to a bank in another town where she succeeded in opening a new bank account for her, with the intention of having her pension diverted into it. Unfortunately for her, I came upon the letter from the bank welcoming my 86-year-old, dementia-suffering mother to internet banking! Again, I succeeded in blocking access.

Still determined to have her way, some months later, she took my mother to yet another bank, opened another new bank account, provided false change-of-address information to the pensions company and succeeded in having my mother's pension paid into this new account which was being operated by her.

Around this time, my mother became dangerously ill and I, preoccupied with her care, didn't discover the ruse for 4 months. Once again, I had to fight tooth and nail - and completely alone - to convince the pension's company that the information they had received was false. The onus was on me to provide evidence to the contrary, which I did and luckily they resumed paying my mother's pension into her account. But no action has been taken against my sister, who proclaims her innocence at every opportunity! Financial Ombudsman? A waste of time!

After my mother’s illness, I put my life on hold to become her main carer because no one else in the family was prepared to do it, and the only other option was a nursing home which I simply could not countenance. My sisters never expected me to play this role - to be honest, I never imagined myself in this role either - so, annoyed that I might have some sway over my mother, they then insisted on coming in pairs on two days a week to look after mum. They agreed with the social worker to come at 8 pm and leave the following day at 8 pm. One pair does do this, but leaves the house like a tip after their visit so that I have double work the following day. I should explain that my job involves not just looking after my mother, but also washing, cooking and cleaning for a further 6 to 7 people (immediate and extended family members and workers!) The other pair turns up at whatever time suits them - usually 9.30 to 10.30 pm and if I have already put mum to bed, they get her up again. They refuse to give her the medication she needs for chronic constipation for fear that they might have a mess to clean up. They sit around all day chatting, reading newspapers and magazines and then toddle off home again at whatever time suits them - this could be midnight or beyond if they're watching something on TV that interests them and I'm expected to wait patiently in the wings until they're gone!! The social worker to whom I mentioned this simply replied: "Oh, you'll never get it 100% right!"

It was when mum came home from hospital that my problems really started: my mother requires 24-hour care and we are provided with a carer, who receives the carer's allowance - so no payment of any kind for me. I needed to buy food, clothing, non-prescription medicines etc. for my mother, but her bank account was blocked and I had no income. I had already spent every penny I possessed supporting her in the months prior to her illness. The bank, despite the fact that it had previously allowed my sister to withdraw whatever sum she liked, now refused me access to my mother’s account and insisted that it would remain blocked until Power of Attorney had been granted to either someone within the family or an independent person. When I sought help from other family members, they rounded on me telling me that it was my fault we were in this mess in the first place and that it was now up to me to sort it out.

Fortunately, one of my brothers came to the rescue and has supported both my mother and myself since January. We were obliged to get a solicitor involved. With the help of a social worker, we held a family meeting – to which several members didn’t bother to turn up (none lives more than 30 minutes' drive away!) – and managed to agree the appointment of one sister and one brother to manage my mother’s finances. (I wanted no involvement in the financial aspect, as I would undoubtedly be accused of taking on the carer role in order to benefit financially from the situation.) The solicitor then had to apply to the High Court in Belfast on their behalf and the matter STILL isn’t resolved. I was told in January that it would take a week or two. Eight months on, we are crawling towards the finishing line – another week to 10 days I was told yet again last week – but who knows?

Meanwhile, not wishing to place too much of a burden on my brother, I have lived in virtual poverty for almost a year; I have looked after my mother to the best of my ability while suffering bullying and threats from other family members (One brother actually threw me to the ground and continues regularly to smash my belongings and open my post!) But, to the outside world it looks like I’m the demon of the piece and my nasty sisters are sweet, little angels ministering to mum. At a recent christening party, they fussed around my mother and made sure that she was seated beside them for the meal while I was relegated to a far-flung table and excluded from all family photographs.

I don’t mind admitting that during the winter months when all this was at its peak and I was up every two hours with my mother while sleeping little in the hours in between, I seriously considered suicide. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that they would then be able to put my mother in a home and help themselves with impunity to her few pounds.

My mother hasn't made a will and hasn't go a fortune in the bank, but please God she'll live long enough to have every penny of it spent on herself! :D

Yes, the carer's role is a hard one and often a thankless one, but at least I can sleep easy in my bed at night knowing that I have done the right thing. You can do the same.

whoknows

Jul 31, 2012
Well, I guess I would feel a lot easier about this situation, if my sister would visit our Father a bit more often..........she will visit him say once a month for about an hour. Considering that she is 30 minutes drive, works part-time, well I would not agree that's adequate, whenever I challenge her she is "busy, busy", what with, well this and that, she has got 3 kids, so there's stuff to do with them, but, the husband works shifts, so can easily look after them. It's excuses. So I hear the word "The Invisibles".

My beef is that my Father misses out on the love, affection of his daughter, the love of the 3 grand-children, who's also missing out, am sure they would like to spend more time with their grand-father, as he's actually really fine with them and they all get something from it, but if they are not bought down by the Mother, my sister, they don't get that time.

Now there is no motivation for my sister to visit, put any effort in, whilst the will is done and there is nothing to gain (or lose) by doing your duty.

Surely there is something in society what says well you don't put the effort in, which you can, so therefore you lose out some way, presumably by having your name taken off the will as an example ?

I am after getting a note to testify as to my father's mental capacity from a recent doctor who visited him, I've done everything for him, when that comes I will apply to the Courts and see what I can do to ensure she is penalised somehow, as it is wholly wrong, what's going on.