Where to start ...

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Well i better start with introducing myself i guess, im aka Sarah and im 36.Im married to my best friend and rock. Im not very good at this kind of thing but i'll give it a go and try not to write a short novel in the process.
Im here looking for advice/support/hugs and hope i can return at the same time.

My situation began almost a year ago when my 64 year old dad started to do 'strange things' and as he lived alone ( mom left us 14 years ago) my hubby and i were the only ones who had any contact with him even before he got ill, my brother and dad always had a very difficult relationship and hadn't spoke in quite a few years ... sooo i started noticing little things about dad that weren't quite right a year ago but it all became very clear things with his memory were definatley going wrong when he called me up on Christmas eve shouting at me for been late for Christmas day dinner.Things then on after went down hill very fast for dad and i insisted we got help from his GP. Fast forward 3 months and MANY dr appoitments later dad was sectioned 3 days before my birthday in March.
There was so many incidents in such a short space of time that happend to dad i wont list them all but the major ones are still in my head like stuck record ... police helicopters,battles with A+E staff and physical fights resulted in dad been sectioned for his own saftey ... and mine.
He was originally 'held' (is that the right word sorry ???) at a hospital that i wouldn't have put a animal in but soon got moved to a much nicer appropriate hospital only 10 miles away from us where after a initial A+E admission for renal failure,he settled well and became part of the furniture so to speak.I visited him every other day and the days i didn't see him i'd talk to him on the phone. While there he was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia due to having mini strokes ( i shouted so much to the dr's i was worried about this when he was still at home but fell on deaf ears) He stayed there for 5 months or so until ' The Board' decided it was'nt the best place for him and said there was a home suited for his needs and was only 4 miles away from us ... great ... now things in my life always go wrong (thats another story for another time) and the inevitable bad thing happened and it all fell thru,the board said it wasn't suitable for dads needs and the only one that was ok for him was 120+miles round trip away from us :mad: :mad: :mad: !!! Nothing we can do about it (except cry) and he was moved there 10 days ago.
My hubby and i found a camp site near to the hospital and set up camp in our camper van for his first weekend there so we could at least see him the 2 days of the weekend. My brother came and met us there and we all found his bedroom to be nice and the settings the hospital's set in pretty ... but i have my concerns, both the days the staff who were helping us with the visit had only been there 2 days and neither were sure who my dad even was. I tried to put it to the back of mind and not worry as having been a profesional carer myself i know the turmoils of working in care homes and hospitals so thought it was my anxiety been over active,but then during my daily phone calls to the ward to see how dad has been im been told the same vague thing '' ahhh yes hes been fine '' now i know full well this can't be the case as at his previous hospital ward the staff always had concerns everyday with his challenging behaviour and difficulty in dealing with it so to be told he's fine i know isn't true. Iv'e been asking all week for the ward sister to call me when she can so i can voice my concerns and ask some general questions about dads care plans etc and it's only today that she's called me to tell me dad's got another urine infection and is been treated there for it, so im obviously upset anyway and blurt out how pee'd off i am that i haven't had any contact with dad apart from the 2 half hour visits at the weekend made a fool of myself blubbing and stuttering to her about how much im missing him and how scared he must be thinking iv'e abadonned him in a place he has no idea of, she said she will ask someone to help him to call me this evening ... we shall wait and see eh !!!
I should prob mention that i suffer from a few mental health problems inc depression and at times,sever anxiety i take my meds and see a therapist and like i said in my intro i am married to the best hubby in the world EVER and with out him i would have given up a long long long time ago.
Well i think i have gone on enough for now and i thank anyone who has taken the time to read just a bit of my story of why im here.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh Girl Afraid it's awful that your poor dad should be moved so far away from you , It seems impossible that there wasn't a suitable home for him nearer to you, I can't really be any help to you but just wanted to send hugs for you , I am sure other people will be by soon with advice and support ,

Jeany xx

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
Don't worry about what you say on here, we have all been through it, all the worry and anxiety. So sorry you are having such a difficult time at present.

It is such a pity that your Dad has to be located so far away from you, hopefully his placement can be kept under review and if as he goes on his Dementia journey he calms down and changes you may be able to get him moved nearer to you at some point in the future.

Sending thoughts and hugs and hope you do get that call

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Sarah. I'm a girl afraid too! I've just joined and your story really touched me. I hope you get all the support, comfort and advice you need here. It's helped me through some difficult days. Xxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Sarah
I am glad you dipped your toe in the waterand told us what has happened
and I hope we can help

I am so sorry to hear all thats happened
and I do hope you can get Dad moved closer to you asap

I am not knowledgeable on how to do this, I am sure others here will know and hopefully be along soon
One thing I do know is, they should have taken into consideration the distance from you his family
you see they have denied dad regular visits from you wich are vital to you both

I am going to put a link to Admiral nurses
sadly they are few and far between but they do have a national helpline
hopefully they can help

http://www.dementiauk.org/what-we-do/admiral-nursing-direct/

Also the Alzheimers society,
it's well worth joining if you havent done so
and I believe its still free membership for carers
they should be able to help

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200365

I do hope others will be along soon with better ideas

Please let us know how you get on

Last edited:

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hello dear Girl Afraid,
What a harrowing story and I am just so sorry that you have to experience this with your father. Having him far from home just exacerbates an already intensely painful experience. I extend sympathy and congratulate you on getting onto the forum to share your troubles.

The best thing ever is this:
i am married to the best hubby in the world EVER and with out him i would have given up a long long long time ago.

Having the support and love of someone who is really in your corner really is a treasure beyond price. I can say the same for my husband. Tell him I think he is just terrific and I am so glad he is there for you in this way at this time!

I should prob mention that i suffer from a few mental health problems inc depression and at times,sever anxiety i take my meds and see a therapist and like i said in my intro i am married to the best hubby in the world EVER and with out him i would have given up a long long long time ago.

Sounds like you are taking best possible care of yourself, plus of course your Best Beloved. I too have had depression. The depression came about due to a specific circumstance that was too long in duration and impossible for me to control/alter. I learned a lot about me and depression, circular thoughts and anxiety in that time. I had meds and self-help (brainwave entrainment; self-help books like "Chimp Paradox"; Dr David Burns "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" and now I am loving "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman; I also do yoga nidra twice a day to reconnect breath/body/mind).

The good news is that I have been looking after my mother with Alzheimers for three years and mentally/depression-wise I HAVE NEVER BEEN BETTER. I am still using these tools, my anxiety is reduced - especially due to brainwave entrainment, my insomnia is way reduced - yoga nidra helping most here, and I know and understand situational depression so much better through my reading.

Just wanted to say I hope that I admire you, and I'm glad you have good support, both professionally and from hubby. Good for you. Keep posting. I would love to hear how you get on. Hugs from afar, but they are sincere, BE

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi again and thank you all for your kind words and really appreciate the advice and links, i'll shall have a good look at them in a little while :) :) :)
I had a phone call from dad tonight with help from the nurse wich was really lovely, he seemed ok said he was feeling a bit better since seeing the Dr, he sounded a bit sedated and very confused still as to where he was ... thought he was in a castle on the A5 and was worried i wouldn't find him, i tried to reassure him i would indeed find him and will see him very soon ... just wondering how others get on with things like this and their loved ones ... do you 'play along' with what they beleive or insist on the truth ??? ( i will have a look round the forum at others experiences of it in a bit)
but yeah as far as him been placed so far away from us i thought the same,surely part of his care and well being is for his family (what he has of it) to be close and maintain some normality,how are his personal and social needs been met when it takes us over a hour and half to just get to him :confused: :confused: :confused: and im totally filled with dread and worry about if something bad happens and we have to get to him asap again,it all just seems so wrong and unfair on him.

I'm so glad i found TP and found others going thru something similar and get what is going on in my life,tho this does make me sad that anybody has to endure the evilness of this illness,both carers and sufferers...it's robbed so many lives.
Thank you all again so very much.
xxx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Girl Afraid,

Sorry to read that you've found yourself so far away from your dad. I was in a similar situation when my mother was in a care home near my sister but would take me 3 hours to get there. As I said in another post recently, one thing that was welcomed was to send lots of mail. Nothing lengthy, maybe a postcard, or a notelet or a nice card or send a photograph that you had found, that kind of thing. This not only helped my mother, but also helped the staff get to know her too as it gave them something to talk to her about. It also gives you the feeling of at least contributing whilst you're a distance away too.

Fiona

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
Thank you for that Lin will have a read in a bit.
Fiona what a great idea for sending mail, i hadn't thought of that and dad always used to say he never got any interesting post so sure he will appreciate something nice... yeah fab idea thank you :) :) :)

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
I'm going to see dad tomorrow (sat) camping overnight so i can see him Sun aswell,hubbys coming of course and we are taking some more of dads belongings from home, his TV,cd player, cds dvd's etc have spent most the day labelling stuff so it don't go walkabout there.
The thing is i'm so worried about going, never mind the journey been so horrible i can't help but feel dread not excitement of seeing dad or anything ... pure dread :( :( :( Hubby asked me tonight if i was looking forward to seeing dad, just said i was 90% dreading and the rest was looking forward to it yeah... How bad is that ?!?!?
I absolutely hate feeling like this hate myself for having these thoughts for been selfish but the fact it's so bloomin far away, i don't cope well with meeting and talking to new people ( in the hospital) and how dad can only stand us visiting for half a hour ish at a time makes me feel sick and angry ... sooo angry that people who don't know a thing about dad and our situation can make such a damaging decision ... GRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:
Sorry for the rant needed that and i prob should have made this into a new thread sorry but yeah some luck would be very much appreciated right now thank you in advance.
S
xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just want you to know I am listening. I have no words to help you through this weekend. Just didn't want you to feel no one, at this time of night when we both should be in bed, wasn't listening and feeling your frustration/anger/hurt

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Girl Afraid,

You said your dad's home is in nice settings - do they have secure gardens perhaps? Maybe you could take him out for a while? How about taking some treats and tell him he's going on a picnic? I'm not sure why the visits are only lasting 30 mins, does he get impatient or start wandering off perhaps? In my mother's home there wasn't so much of personal visits but rather one big getogether and sometimes my mother was just so nosey and scared she was missing something she'd be up and off even though you'd driven 3 hours to get there! But we would just move to the lounge, have a cup of tea, talk to other relatives, maybe someone who doesn't have visitors that kind of thing. I know you say that you don't like meeting people, but i think this would probably suit you more as there was no formality if you get my drift. Take a magazine in with you or a newspaper and just hang around. My mother used to wander about and come back and look shocked saying "No one told me you were here" LOLOL.

As to living in a castle etc - i'd just go along with it and say something vague like "aren't you lucky to be able to live in a castle" or "yes, I saw the building from miles away when i was coming up here". My mother thought she was living in a hotel - my sister said to her - you could be in a 5* hotel for what it is costing us here! LOL

Anyway, I hope your fears are unfounded and that you have a lovely visit with your dad.

Fiona