To all Newbies......

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I just wanted to say Hello and welcome to TP. :D
It can be very daunting to make your first post here where everyone seems to know who, what, where and when but the fact is we all had to start somewhere and writing your first introduction or asking your first question is a big brave step on the pathway to understanding that Dementia comes in many forms. That a Social Worker can be Satan's sidekick or a Guardian Angel. That there is paperwork, bureaucracy, and bloody red tape!! That there will be times to make a saint swear. Tears and laughter can go hand in hand, with love and sorrow not far behind and chasing them comes guilt, anger, despair. No one person will have suffered the same set of problems as you will face, but each of us will have suffered just the same, and if one of us can provide the faintest glimmer of hope, of information or just support then we will have all gained something, because this forum exists to help each and every one of us, from the newest to the most long standing member.
So welcome.......one and all. :):)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello from me too:
I am not a Newbie but think Craigmaid is giving you a wonderful welcome. I am still here some 7 years later having shared the whole dementia journey with my lovely husband.

Without TP my life would have been intolerable, but sharing with others in the same situation has made my life quite normal.

I hope those joining now will have the same experience.
Best wishes

Dizzy Rascal

Aug 17, 2012
south
From one newbie...

Thanks. Have arrived here on this site driven by the pain of fight/s breaking out between siblings over the way to approach Mum's dementia care.

Stressful situations magnify differences and cause people to resort to earlier ways of coping. It's not easy in a family that doesn't own, talk about or gently resolve their feelings.

Guess anger's here now and was probably here before, just raising its ugly head. Ouch.

Girl Afraid

Aug 16, 2012
Staffordshire
That's a lovely post and as a newbie very much appreciated, like you say taking that first step and posting just a little of my story was frankly terrifying but needed to be done and im so very glad i did.
sharing with others in the same situation has made my life quite normal.
so very true,just how im feeling now :) :) :)

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I just wanted to say Hello and welcome to TP. :D
It can be very daunting to make your first post here where everyone seems to know who, what, where and when but the fact is we all had to start somewhere and writing your first introduction or asking your first question is a big brave step on the pathway to understanding that Dementia comes in many forms. That a Social Worker can be Satan's sidekick or a Guardian Angel. That there is paperwork, bureaucracy, and bloody red tape!! That there will be times to make a saint swear. Tears and laughter can go hand in hand, with love and sorrow not far behind and chasing them comes guilt, anger, despair. No one person will have suffered the same set of problems as you will face, but each of us will have suffered just the same, and if one of us can provide the faintest glimmer of hope, of information or just support then we will have all gained something, because this forum exists to help each and every one of us, from the newest to the most long standing member.
So welcome.......one and all. :):)

This is spot on. Could this not be made into a 'sticky' so it does no get lost amongst the postings. It is perfect for all newbies to read and certainly encourage them to join us.

Great posting Maureen, thank you,

Jay

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Agree with Jaymor re making it a sticky.

It does initially feel like interrupting a conversation! But its well worth taking a deep breath and making your posts - the sheer act of typing out what you feel can be therapeutic and the advice and support and helpfulness, kindness and friendliness of everyone is such a comfort and boost when you are struggling with whatever issue currently confronts you. (issue? is there a time when there is ever only one?!)

Thank you for the eloquent welcome.

Celia

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is a really lovely Thread and will surely gladden the heart of all new members so thank you Maureen for such a lovely thought.

Could this not be made into a 'sticky'

Perhaps it is not obvious enough but we do have a welcome here.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I remember Maureen being one of the first to welcome me to TP when I joined just over a year ago. It took a lot of courage to come on to the AS website at all, just before mum was diagnosed, as I was so frightened of what I would see and read, and realise what might be ahead of us, and like many 'lurked' for a while before jumping in to introduce myself. Having been on another couple of forums of different types, I wasn't prepared for the warm welcome I received from several members, it was a lovely surprise.

I, amongst many have had a difficult year with my mum having to go into a care home earlier than we had hoped, and losing my dad, but I can honestly say I wouldn't have managed as well if it hadn't been for the support and sheer kindness and understanding from TP members, many of which I now feel are friends, even though I have never met them! So, if you are lurking, and have worries, just come and share them, or if you just want to rant and not be judged, you can do that too. The Tea Room is also a good place to get away for a while and have a laugh and a chat about what else is happening in your life.

Thank you for posting this Maureen, and I also would like to see it as a sticky :)

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
What a smashing thread, thanks for starting it.

I come here every day to see what's happening, TP has helped me cope with feelings that you can't tell to others who don't have an inkling of what it means to those with this disease and being a carer, it also helped me financially too with advice on what benefits are available :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi all.

Brilliant thread. It really does take courage the first few times, to come on here and open your heart out and show your vulnerabilities to virtual (and in reality actual) strangers, but you soon get over the feeling of being disloyal to your family member as being on here, you find real friends and many people with founts of knowledge between them. You are never judged, scorned, just understood, supported and helped to find the funny side of life again.

So welcome to our unique place of safety

Any one want a biscuit? I have custard creams, a few jammie dodgers (known in our house as jobs worths.......) and a couple of chocolate chips left :D

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
From a newbie

Thank you Cragmaid, you summed that up beautifully!

I stumbled upon this site while I was searching for a clock with the day of the week on for my mum (how expensive are they?!). You will all never know how much you have helped me even in this short time.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I'm so glad I've found you all :) xxx