Depression and trying to cope

DougFlo

Dec 19, 2011
My mum was diagnosed earlier in the year with early stage Alzheimers and is on Donepezil.

Myself and my wife and son moved in with her last year, to help us (as I have a long term health condition and lost my job due to ill health) and to help Mum. My Dad died 2 years ago.

My brother lives a long way away and does visit occasionally and my Mum turns into a different person when he is here and he whisks her off all over the place to shops and restaurants. Then he leaves and she is back on the floor. My brother does not see her day to day behaviour. She puts on a face for him and on the phone and doesn;t really understand what we are going through.

Most of the time she retreats to her room and I often find her wrapped in a blanket lying on her side. This can be any time of day.

She has gradually stopped all her activities and hobbies over the last few years and avoids social situations, even to the extent where she did not contact her best friend for months while she was being treated for cancer.

the last few weeks have been much harder and I am often greeted by being told to leave her alone as she is down. I have tried talking to her, but she tells me to not worry, but I obviously can't stop worrying. She is often distant and not with it.

Everything I suggest as an activity she has an excuse for not doing, from saying the weather is too bad to do gardening (when it really isn't), to not wanting to go for walks, to ringing friends. We will often arrange to take her out somewhere with us but will make up an excuse not to get involved at the last minute. I have suggested she has a holiday with my brother, but she says the journey is too far.

We are getting to the end of our tether and I am worried about the effect it is having on my wife and my son as well as me, as it is dragging us all down. We feel trapped now, as she would have zero interaction if we weren't here and certainly would not eat properly, but it feels like something is about to pop!

Really don't know what to do.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Hello Doug.

She has gradually stopped all her activities and hobbies over the last few years and avoids social situations, even to the extent where she did not contact her best friend for months while she was being treated for cancer.

Everything I suggest as an activity she has an excuse for not doing, from saying the weather is too bad to do gardening (when it really isn't), to not wanting to go for walks, to ringing friends. We will often arrange to take her out somewhere with us but will make up an excuse not to get involved at the last minute. I have suggested she has a holiday with my brother, but she says the journey is too far.

She sounds just like my mother in law (85), who doesn't have dementia. We have tried all sorts of suggestions but she's not interested in anything. My SIL is fed up because MIL can't even face a short trip once a week to pick up her shopping so she sees nobody unless SIL calls in. She no longer interested in the wider world and is seemingly fixed in her own little introverted bubble, which would bore the life out of me.

However, we have now had to accept that is just how she is. One thing though, you must make sure that you get out and about with your wife and son - offer Mum the opportunity to join in but if she refuses, so be it. I'm sure your presence in the house, the daily hustle and bustle, ensures she is in a better environment that the one my MIL has opted for.

Being there and making sure she is fed and cared for is a fantastic thing for you to do.

DougFlo

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks Chemmy

We do at the moment, but we actually end up feeling guilty leaving the house. We invited her out for a pub snack tonight, but she said she was too down. On returning we have been greeted with the house in darkness and a note saying "Lock up before you go to bed"

I feel like I am trying to keep everybody happy in a way and am on morphine for the pain I am in, but this newer phase of her being depressed and wrapping herself up is getting hard to cope with. She said to me this evening that she was bored, but every suggestion I make is thrown back in my face.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
we actually end up feeling guilty leaving the house. .

Come on here and offload whenever you want, but don't ever feel guilty. Caring for someone 24/7 is often a thankless task and I think you and your wife deserve a medal.

There is an AS factsheet about depression and anxiety which you might find useful. Have you discussed this with her GP?

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
You seem to me to be doing very well. You offer opportunities which are rejected - so what else can you do? You know she is safe and warm and fed. So I suggest you do not worry but get on with your own lives more and more.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I used to feel that my parents' house was ruled by dementia - everything revolved around a sort of illogical miserable madness, if that isn't too strong a way of putting it, and WE WERE ALLOWING THAT TO HAPPEN
Well we didn't have much choice about it as we wanted a peaceful life and the best for mum, and one of the things we noticed first about her AD was that anything that wasn't directly to do with her was not relevant or taken in to her mind. So we were sucked into her world completely which was probably ok for a few months but not for the several years we let it go on.
I don't know how things changed but they did, I found that realising this control by Alzheimers was happening sort of helped, in that at least we didn't have to feel like bad people all the time, and gradually dad and I were able to become carers rather than feel like victims of dementia, which is a much easier role.

I have recently had to deal with another family member with severe depression and the advice I was given for this was to live life as normally as possible. That sounds obvious really but it has helped me a lot to feel that this is the right thing to do for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour