care plan

aunty Suzy

Aug 7, 2012
Hi I'm new to all this.
Although my mother was diagnosed at 91 she managed in her own home until 3 years ago ( she is almost 98) mum had to be admitted to a care home when she began falling,forgetting to eat and losing track of day and night. For a while she picked up but just recently she has fallen many times and had broken bones and admissions to hospital. She is now refusing food and says she wants to die. I recently asked for a copy of mum's care plan and was told i couldn't have one. I also asked for a meeting to review her care plan in light of her (and my) obvious distress nd was asked why i felt the need for this.
Is it me? Am I out of order? I was and still am her main carer.
I am at a loss what to do next

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
If you are your mother's representative then you must be allowed not only to see the care plans but to make contributions to them. --- Simple as that! They should also be signed by either yourself as family representative or if your mum has the capacity, by herself to show she has had sight of them. You should be able to see and contribute to these care plans every month or so.

Insist that you have sight of these care plans! If they still refuse to do this refer this to the Care Quality Commission - they have a website where you can get details.

xxTinaT

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Aunty Suzy, and a warm welcome to Talking Point, can only agree with what TinaT has said you do have a right to see these care plans! you are not out of order but just asking questions which sometimes do not go down very well with the "powers that be" take a note book with you and make notes at these meetings(even if you dont write anything relevant at all:D) this does make them sit up:mad:ask them what would they do in your situation! as they asked you WHY you have a need for a care plan because of the distress it is causing you and mum, to get to the age of 98 is wonderful and mum and you deserve respect. Please keep us posted on how things are going, and of course if we can be of anymore help, just post.

best wishes x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello & Welcome

Hello Aunty Suzy , Welcome to T Point & hope you find it as useful & supportive as i do , you find it very helpful & lots of good advice. Am very :mad: with the Care Home Staff telling you that you are NOT allowed to look at the Care Plan . Agree with Tina T you have a legal right to veiw it etc & if the C Home Staff still say no:( check out the C Q C Web Page........ ( C Q C are the Inspector's :eek::):) )

Just a thought & realize your Mum has not been in the C Home very long but is there "A Family Supporter's Group " ? At the C Home ..... these "Groups " are for relations of loved ones & are normally run by the Matron or Asst Matron ( they are there so you can all have a "input " into any problems / positive news & to ask questions etc )( There is one at the N Home where i work as a Kitchen Asst to the Chef )

Hope this helps & good luck with the Care Plan & do Post back to let us know how it went !

Love Grove x x

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
HI Aunty suzy

Much good advice given here from others. I also agree that it is outrageous that you are refused sight of your mothers care plan. :mad:

In addition to your 'official note book' I would have to ask firstly why they question your request and what they have to hide by not showing you something as simple as the care plan for your mother.

Good luck and best wishes :)

Hi I'm new to all this.
Although my mother was diagnosed at 91 she managed in her own home until 3 years ago ( she is almost 98) mum had to be admitted to a care home when she began falling,forgetting to eat and losing track of day and night. For a while she picked up but just recently she has fallen many times and had broken bones and admissions to hospital. She is now refusing food and says she wants to die. I recently asked for a copy of mum's care plan and was told i couldn't have one. I also asked for a meeting to review her care plan in light of her (and my) obvious distress nd was asked why i felt the need for this.
Is it me? Am I out of order? I was and still am her main carer.
I am at a loss what to do next

Lucy Lastic

Nov 30, 2009
Dorset
My Mother has been in a care home for 5 months now and I have still not seen a care plan. I asked about it the other day and was told that they were still being re-written.

Can I ask what others have experienced regarding care plans in care homes? Should you see/sign one within a certain time after admission?

Not wishing to hijack your thread aunty Suzie, but I'm also wondering what is the norm?

craftyviola

Feb 17, 2012
Malvern
Well, when my Mum was admitted to her care home five months ago, I was given a copy of a draft care plan and asked to contribute. Each area of her care plan was initialled by the member of staff responsible, or whose speciality it is. Then I was asked to sign it, as Mum's representative and have always been kept informed about any changes in her care, medication etc. by phone, email or face to face discussion.

The door of the care manager's office is always open to discuss any concerns and I cannot imagine why it has to be different anywhere else. Residential care is very expensive and whoever is paying for it, they have to be accountable and denial of having access to care plans to the resident's representative is counter productive to sharing the care.

However, I anxious that unhelpful relatives may also be given access to Mum's care plan, but the care home only share this information on a "need to know basis".

I would ask why you may not have access to your Mum's care plan and if you are not satisfied with the outcome, ask for a copy of their Complaints Procedure. If you are still not satisfied, then I think it may be worth contacting the CQC.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
In answer to a previous post about when/how long does it take to prepare care plans:

Care plans should be made prior to a person entering the care home and signed by either a nearest relative or the resident themself at the time of admission of the person to the home. They should be regularly updated if there are changes in the resident's needs. After this they should be reviewed every month or so and again the nearest relative or the resident themself should sign to show they have had sight of the updated care plan.

There should also be a clear and up to date complaints policy which you are entitled to have sight of upon entering and during a residential stay.

If this is not happening or you are refused sight of care plans, I would contact the Care Quality Commission.

xxTinaT

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
care plans

Although I have talked through a care plan with a major nursing home provide, they have refused to give me a copy, and yet they have asked me to sign. I feel to go through and sign a care plan even after 10 years of experience I still do not know / understand all terminology used in a care plan. But I have noted many inaccuracies in care plans. A care plan is complicated enough for a “professional” to get right, let alone a carer. I would also talk to the social worker involved.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I can only say what should happen and if it doesn't then make an official complaint. If a care plan is complicated the manager/ess should be able to explain and make it clear.

xxTinaT

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My MIL is always given a copy of my FILs care plan by his CH which she in turn gives to me for the once over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba