Im 22 and worried about my serious memory loss.

NikCali

Aug 8, 2012
I'm 22 years old and have a terrible memory. I've been through two years of non-stop stress and a breakdown at a young age which I can imagine would have a lot to do with it. I would really like some tips or advice on how to start improving this as i'm at my wits end. I've lost all my friends as I have no memory of anything to be able to talk to people and I can't seem to make friends as I can't hold a conversation anymore. At school i was an A* student and very clever but now I can't even do times tables, remember my favourite bands song-lyrics nor remember general things about my friends.
I'm in desperate need of help and just don't know what to do with myself anymore, i feel so depressed and a shadow of my old self because of this.
Please help!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
So sorry to hear of your problems...stress is a terrible thing. Things will improve for you...just give it time.

Amy

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
i think you should talk to your DR and tell him how worried you are ,he may send you for a brain scan if your breakdown was recent like Amy said it could improve with time Milly

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello NikCali, welcome to Talking Point.

I do think it might be a good idea to make an appointment to see your GP regarding your worries. They can run some tests to check for any illness and quite often these problems can be sorted quite easily. Stress can cause memory loss and it would be a good idea to put your mind at rest.

You might find this helpful - http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/document_pdf.php?documentID=871

Very best wishes x

geniegirl746

Aug 19, 2012
sounds like me

I don't belive you have alzheimer sounds more like (PTSD) post tramaic stress disorder.
You should be seen by a doctor/ conslor but, if the doctor says things that make it worse and you tried to see that doctor a couple times leave quickly and find a new one. Most chose one or two areas of health not all methods are best for everyone. When you go to see a conslor ask if they are wise in enviormental psycology. Sorry cant spell good any more. I hope this helped. But most of all be around someone you can trust to protect you and lay down and think back as close to your last memory before you loss it. It is a good starting point you have to remember and fight it you have to deal with it and put it out of your life you do remeber you just block it from your mind. Please write back with up dates we are alot a like I will tell you about me later I am a little further in the same path.

I'm 22 years old and have a terrible memory. I've been through two years of non-stop stress and a breakdown at a young age which I can imagine would have a lot to do with it. I would really like some tips or advice on how to start improving this as i'm at my wits end. I've lost all my friends as I have no memory of anything to be able to talk to people and I can't seem to make friends as I can't hold a conversation anymore. At school i was an A* student and very clever but now I can't even do times tables, remember my favourite bands song-lyrics nor remember general things about my friends.
I'm in desperate need of help and just don't know what to do with myself anymore, i feel so depressed and a shadow of my old self because of this.
Please help!

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Hi Nickcali,

Welcome from me too.
I agree with the others and think you should see your GP who I'm sure will be able to help in some way.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I would also like to Welcome you to Talking Point.

I've been through two years of non-stop stress and a breakdown at a young age

Because of what you have stated above, I am presuming that your GP has been fully involved because of the breakdown? I am wondering whether you have mentioned to your GP that you are worried about your memory loss? I was also wondering what the GP practice has had to offer with regard to stress management?

Love

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Hi Nikcali,

I'm sorry you've been through such a lot! There are a number of possible reasons for your memory loss and it's best to see your GP and ask for a referral to a neurologist for further tests. If your GP refuses and you know there is something wrong then ask to see another GP and persist in asking for a referral. If you have any other symptoms that are persistent and have occurred since around the same time then perhaps mention those too.

It is very unlikely to be a type of early onset dementia and there are other reasons for memory loss in younger people but it still needs to be assessed by a doctor.

If you're taking any meds, although it would be essential that you stay on them then these might cause memory problems and the doctor might be able to switch you to another related type. Equally if you're distracted by intrusive thoughts then you might have a hard time concentrating and encoding memories in the first place. However it could be a neurological condition and it's worth getting it sussed out :)

superwomen

Sep 12, 2012
portsmouth
Please help!
hi you are very young and been through loads .your gp and health people should be able to get you the right help and support ,sorry to hear your friends have been lost they may not been able to understand what going on .i can offer a bit of advice but im not an expert but have had a bad time in my life and memory prombles .im not sure what you tryed so i just list a few bits .look at photos of your friends .listen to radio.do simple memory game .i started by using the match pair games it dose help .try writting down your daily task ,have a routine for washing ect .do small steps .it wont happen over night but every little helps you are a strong person you got through a break down you can do it your not alone hope this helps

thoughtblocked

Sep 18, 2012
My opinion

Please help!
Hi Nik. I worked as a community psychiatric nurse for 25 years, mainly with clients with memory problems, (Alzheimers sufferers etc) I also worked for 4 years with Clients under the age of 65 with memory problems. From what you have briefly described, in my opinion you could well be suffering with a degree of anxiety/depression. Stress, such as incurred by life events affect people in different ways. Some are more prone to reacting to situations by becoming anxious, what my mother would have termed as a born worrier, me for example. If problems, however seemingly small to others, are not resolved to your satisfaction, they will often tend to magnify, and be added to by other day to day events, that you probably wouldn't given a second thought to before. This level of unresovled stress will have an affect on your memory. You will be aware of this, probably put 2 and 2 together and get 5 ! This will then evolve into a vicious circle, were all your thoughts are in a negative mode, and worry piles upon worry. Naturally, one would not feel happy about this, so your mood be be affected and you will become depressed. Your sleep will probably become affected, broken sleep and awakening early. Your appetite may well drop off, and you may become generally listless and apathetic, not wanting to do anything. But ask yourself this; am I still able to dress myself, feed myself, use a telephone, basic day to day activities any person without a dementing illness would be able to do. For your own peace of mind, I would go to see your G.P. As for actions you can do for yourself, try to relax. The net is full of simple easy to do relaxation programs. Take some time in the day to just go for a lie down. Dim the lights in the room, maybe listen to some music you like, (but not heavy metal or such). Try and control your breathing, deep slow breaths. Takes things a day at a time, slowly. Don't expect to be back to "normal" after a day or so. Try to think positively, and give yourself a liitle pat on the back for any small victory's you might achieve. Seek the support of other, family, friends or professionals, and PLEASE, I know it's easy for me to say, but don't over worry.

hop3

Mar 25, 2024
Please help!
Hello i hope you answer me. Did your memory health improve and what did you do?, how is life?. I suffer from the same and i'm 22years old too, i'm so worried.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Always please get it checked out, there could be a lot of reasons.
In my case it was viral encephalitis, presents the same I understand, back at home now sitting in the kitchen all better, but it literally took me a car crash to get diagnosis.
Lost my wife (the reason I post on here) while I was in a coma, please get a check up and be honest with the answers, more likely it's something physical and treatable, time is the key. K