mum`s not well

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Been reading along from first posting ,am really pleased for you ,your dad & mum , that your mum has settle in the care & how lovely to read that

while being at EMI, and has since become more of mum that we once knew.
:)

Thank-you for shareing .

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi jakky

so glad your mums doing well, :) glad dad is having some time as well its taken my dad a while but i think he's learning now!

look forward to the pics ;)
take care

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
I`m not sure what to write, but here goes....

I wrote a posting on friday in words something like - mums been in EMI nursing home for 6 months now and mums doing great, well settled and comfortable, (plus some other stuff). Then I deleted it....again!!

Sis telephoned on saturday morning, (7.45 ish) "mum has had a fall and broke her hip. She`s at hospital, had x-rays and waiting to hear if operation is required".
mum has broke her hip at the knuckle, apparently the cup part is ok, so she had a "half hip replacement", (as dad put it). Visiting mum was very difficult for me on sunday, (prejudging, assuming tubes and monitors,) and when I saw her, she was sitting up in a chair, looking very weary, although comfortable, and probably still shocked. Mum drank a small amount of tea, and a little later gave a small smile. Yesterdays visit went well, as mum looked more brighter, and again gave a few smiles, especially after she finished the "chocolate mini roll".
Then a woman visiting her mum in the opposite bed came over and asked if my mum was from the same EMI as her mum? yes, because her mum has also broke her hip, only last week!! however,
Mum will be in hospital for a week or two!!

thanks for listening and take care

jakky.....

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
HI Jakky,
I just wanted to tell you that my Mom took a huge dive a couple months ago and we had to put her in an assessment unit for ten days. She was in dreadful shape and the doctor told us she only had months to live, not years. Even suggested that hospice be called in.
We had to place her in a nursing home and the decision to do so was very dificult. Since then though, we have all adjusted. Mom thinks of it as her house, has made some friends, is clean and continent, gets good nutrition, has activities all of the time and is never unattended. She has actually made some improvement and I no longer thinkthat the "months, not years" diagnosis is necessarily set in stone. She has had some weight loss and her memory is declining but so many other things are better.
Your Mom's condition might be different but I wanted you to know that even though the doctor says that, things can change.
My Dad also does not have to worry about Mom and that has made a huge difference in his life. I know he gets lonely but he is adjusting to that and goes to see Mom every other day. ( we alternate)
Take care and I hope your situation improves soon.
Debbie

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
Dad telephoned last night to say mums hip operation, (saturday), was unsuccessful and mum will be having another operation later today. (too much gap between cup & knuckle). Like mums needs all this Cr*p....

When ya think things are going well, start smiling....because something else is happening.

take care

jakky

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
hi

mum has returned to the EMI NH, since breaking her hip. (it appears that she does not realise she has broken anything) mum is mobile with a limp and doesn`t seem to be able too walk far, (compared to previously, where she would walk forever and a day). She never had a second op, which i can`t understand fully, as her hip is not right!!!The main point i want to say is she is still smiling, trying to run a marathon, and looks as well as could be. I had a slight chat with her which consisted of `cup o tea`which does bring a smile to my face.....

while i`m here, I`d just ask you to visit

http://www.justgiving.com/whip.

as i have been raising funds and appeared on the front page of our local paper :) ref: Isle o Wight cycle ride, and would also like to thank everyone for their support. It has been absolutely amazing...

please excuse me because I am so excited about doing this ride on sunday.
see ya all there!!!

take care..and thanks for listening

jakky
xx

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
It has been 10 months since mum went into EMI NH, and as I have previously posted, she seems comfortable as possible, relaxed in the surroundings and raises smiles frequently, (when I`m there, and I`m sure when other family members are there also)....

Unfortunately, a member of staff, at the NH, has been dismissed recently due to abusing my mum. This has totally upset dad but as he understands it to be an isolated incident!!!! The unusual thing about it, the dismissed nurse, (not carer) has since telephoned my dad, (to get her reinstated as a nurse so that she can continue working) and because of all data protection act, we had not got a clue which member of staff it was until she telephoned!!!
Dad has been unsettled by this action and has changed his phone numbers!!!

however, we move forward best we can.
This being the first Christmas for dad, without mum at home, although dad is going to have his dinner with mum at the NH, I`m sure they`ll both enjoy......

take care all

jakky

and Merry Christmas
xx

jakky

Jan 30, 2006
Staffs
Mum has been in EMI for over 13 months now, and although there have been hiccups along the road, (as previous posts explain), generally, mum has been well looked after and cared for. Her strength has been affected by illness, with weight loss included, but her spirit is strong. Mum does smile, laugh, but is limited in her speech.

Dad visits most evenings, until late, as mum is most relaxed later in the day.

Generally, just an update to let you all know, that from the initial worries, (day 1), things have settled down enormously and our family has moved forward and will continue to do so, as best we know how.

Thanks to TP for helping us with what was/is a difficult time......

take care and thanks for listening

jakky

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Jakky

Glad to hear that you have found your mum a lovely home where she is generally, well looked after.

Take care

Libs

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi jakky

so pleased things have settled down with mum, hope dad is coping too?
take care
donna x