Given up!

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hey all. Just want a bit of a rant. My dad's now in a NH with end-stage dementia and they have told me he is at end of life (whatever that actually means - all I know is that I've done three vigils at his bedside in a month because they thought he was actively dying and actually, at those times, so did I), and is receiving appropriate and gentle palliative care. He's been there nearly three weeks and the staff are wonderful - in fact, I've never had any bad care for him in any of the places he's been (as some people may remember he's had nine moves between homes and hospital in six months!).

My main issue can be encapsulated in one phrase - the social worker seems absolutely useless! I was meant to meet her in the first week of dad's admission to the NH, actually made an appointment for her to assess him, but she didn't turn up! Not only that, but she apparently hasn't given the NH any paperwork on the funding (he has nursing care funding - but who knows without the paperwork???!!!) so that's a difficult position for us all to be in. She told me over the phone that the funding was being paid by the LA to the NH but not the implications of what that means for me re payment. The NH have phoned her, faxed her, left her messages to get paperwork sorted out and to meet me to discuss this properly, but there's been no further contact.

Added to this - I was initially told he had CHC funding so of course, I didn't think I needed to worry overmuch about Court of Protection (would be able to be a little more relaxed about it rather than considering it to be urgent, since I already have third party mandate on his bank account and can take care of his bills) and it then turned out he didn't have the funding because the paperwork wasn't done properly!!! Now - if he's end of life, I don't want to have to go through all the stress and expense of CoP because God knows it's all stressful enough - but I need the social worker to do that assessment because by now, as he's gone downhill so suddenly, he might be eligible to for CHC funding after all.

I'm also in complaints mode against the Primary Health Trust because he broke his hip in one of their facilities due, I believe, to neglect due to poor staffing, which might make a difference if they pay for some of his care. I'm infuriated that in this country, our elderly have to pay through the nose for a service they desperately need. It's not like it's residential care that they choose to go into - this kind of car is a necessity and it's not fair. Off topic a bit there, and I'm not really money focussed per se, it's the principle, and this is a rant!

I'm (as you may remember) an only child, don't have an OH to help, work full time in a very busy, stressful job and quite frankly don't have the time to spend chasing after her or anyone else - but on the other hand, I'm worried sick about all this. My head just won't take any of it in - it's all too huge. I don't have the SW's number because she's never given me it and frankly, I'm tempted to say - screw it all - I've been messed about enough (which I have - long, long story), and she can just do her job and contact me! :mad:

There, rant over. It doesn't improve the situation, but at least I've got it off my chest. And at least dad is getting great care in his last days, weeks, months...

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
what a lot for you to contend with..everything at once..however, you are happy with Dads care and death will be welcome and painfree...what more could you give anyone than that...

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Rant away. It can be grim. But as you say, what really matters - your dad's end of life care - is happening in a way that you can be glad about. That really matters.
I'm sure you are getting tired trying to keep your dad company and deal with everything else. Keep ranting here.

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
Rant away. It can be grim. But as you say, what really matters - your dad's end of life care - is happening in a way that you can be glad about. That really matters.
I'm sure you are getting tired trying to keep your dad company and deal with everything else. Keep ranting here.

Thanks, Butter! Yes, knowing that he is getting good care does really, really matter, and I am glad for it - as glad as you can be about something so sad anyway. But the rest of it's such rubbish, isn't it, and unnecessarily complicated.

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
what a lot for you to contend with..everything at once..however, you are happy with Dads care and death will be welcome and painfree...what more could you give anyone than that...

Thanks Meme. Goodness, but TP is such a great place with such great people!

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi Ceris, I don't have any advice just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that it's all turning out so stressful for you. You should be able to enjoy and spend quality time with your Dad without all the added stress. I think I would be phoning ss and putting in a complaint about the sw as it's not right to treat you with such negligence. Take care.

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi Ceris, I don't have any advice just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that it's all turning out so stressful for you. You should be able to enjoy and spend quality time with your Dad without all the added stress. I think I would be phoning ss and putting in a complaint about the sw as it's not right to treat you with such negligence. Take care.

Thanks, Flowerpot. Yes, I might have to do that next week when I have some annual leave and time. I think the NH should complain too, tbh, because she's messing them about by not doing appropriate paperwork. Honestly, if I treated my students in the incompetent way some of us are treated, we'd have so many complaints and drop outs! I know SWs are busy people - but aren't we all!

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hi Ceris,

I hope it all works out for you. My Dad died 4 weeks ago, but had been put on the Liverpool Care Pathway originally exactly a year before (to the day!) We had many, many bedside vigils, and it takes its toll on you. All the worries about funding are just another stress you can do without.

We never managed to get NHS CHC for Dad, his social worker was rubbish and I decided not to go through the stress of CoP. Somehow, I managed to get agreement with the funding arm of our council that the council would pay Dad's care home fees until we sold his house. The social worker was supposed to put a charge on the house, but he was so useless he didn't ever get round to doing that. I've phoned the council this week to get a bill for all Dad's fees, and they can't find any record of this! (I know his fees have been paid because I checked with the NH!) I suppose what I'm saying is, you deal with the most important thing now (your Dad), and leave everything else. If the social worker is rubbish, that's not your fault, so let the home deal with her! Save your energy for the important things.

Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi Ceris,

I hope it all works out for you. My Dad died 4 weeks ago, but had been put on the Liverpool Care Pathway originally exactly a year before (to the day!) We had many, many bedside vigils, and it takes its toll on you. All the worries about funding are just another stress you can do without.

We never managed to get NHS CHC for Dad, his social worker was rubbish and I decided not to go through the stress of CoP. Somehow, I managed to get agreement with the funding arm of our council that the council would pay Dad's care home fees until we sold his house. The social worker was supposed to put a charge on the house, but he was so useless he didn't ever get round to doing that. I've phoned the council this week to get a bill for all Dad's fees, and they can't find any record of this! (I know his fees have been paid because I checked with the NH!) I suppose what I'm saying is, you deal with the most important thing now (your Dad), and leave everything else. If the social worker is rubbish, that's not your fault, so let the home deal with her! Save your energy for the important things.

Love and hugs,

Sue xxx

Sue, so sorry to hear about your dad, so thanks for taking the time to answer, that helps me so much. What you say about the council is what I've been thinking about but didn't know if it was possible. Now I know it is, I think you're right - I'll try to just concentrate on dad (and work - can't seem to get anything done today except rant on here!) while I still have him :eek:

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hallo Sue,
I wanted to add my tuppence worth. You are amazing, juggling all those balls, roles, jobs and people together. It is such a pity that social workers, doctor, or whom so ever makes the life of a dementia patient and the family harder than need be. Unforgiveable really. Why do people like this get into these jobs?

I just got a book in the post today, one of my psychology specials, and I saw a quote (actually a book title) that made me think of you. Here it is:

"Tough Times never last, but Tough People Do!!!!" Just be sure to take excellent care of yourself, as one thing we do know, time passes, and tomorrow brings a new dawn - no guarantees there either.

Keep well and hoping that a miracle happens where a whole lot of potential drama just fizzles into a gentle, best outcome for you and yours. Love BE

ceris

Jun 7, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hallo Sue,
I wanted to add my tuppence worth. You are amazing, juggling all those balls, roles, jobs and people together. It is such a pity that social workers, doctor, or whom so ever makes the life of a dementia patient and the family harder than need be. Unforgiveable really. Why do people like this get into these jobs?

I just got a book in the post today, one of my psychology specials, and I saw a quote (actually a book title) that made me think of you. Here it is:

"Tough Times never last, but Tough People Do!!!!" Just be sure to take excellent care of yourself, as one thing we do know, time passes, and tomorrow brings a new dawn - no guarantees there either.

Keep well and hoping that a miracle happens where a whole lot of potential drama just fizzles into a gentle, best outcome for you and yours. Love BE

:) Thanks BE. I don't really know how I'm doing it - I don't feel like I'm coping at all, to be honest. As I said, I've got to the point where I'm not going to chase it anymore because it's all too big and I'm just one person. I'm just going to concentrate on my dad and my life and let the others get on with it.