advocacy for carer needed urgent

donque

Jul 15, 2012
Middlesex
Please help I need an advocate for myself as carer and LPA and cannot find one
Have called alzheimers hot line at least 5 times no reply shortage of staff etc etc
and carers uk
please post on private message box

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Look on the MIND website for any advocacy services in your area. Also find the telephone number of your Local LINK's/Heathwatch organisation and tell them your problem. They will do their best to help you.

xxTinaT

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am surprised you have not received a reply from the Helpline - this is the number 0845 300 0336. They are open 8.30 am - 6.30 pm so maybe they are less busy late afternoon like now.

I do suggest that you look up the number of your local Branch as they may have an Advocate contact. If they have a Dementia Advisor it may be worth speaking to someone in person.

PMs are good if names or services are to be named but otherwise it is better to post here as others can benefit from the advice you receive.

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
Sadly not all local Alzheimers branches are helpful. Mine were no help at all - they just sent me a massive pile of leaflets and nobody got back to me when they'd said someone would be in touch. It was disappointing to say the least but I coped, as you do.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I am surprised you have not received a reply from the Helpline - this is the number 0845 300 0336. They are open 8.30 am - 6.30 pm so maybe they are less busy late afternoon like now.

Past experience some years ago for mum, and very recent experience on behalf of someone else – the AS Helpline aims to return all calls (i.e. messages left) within 48 hours – in fact it can be longer.

Donque, I was about to suggest emergency Duty Social Worker – but I see from your profile you have issues with SS and Mental Health teams? TinaT’s advice seems sound.

Some AgeUKs may still have advocacy services ... locally I know they refer to CAB now .... how urgent is this? Perhaps if you can tell a little more of the situation someone can come up with an idea for some immediate intervention?

Kindest regards, Karen, x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks, Fiona – I have just seen there are two threads running on this at the mo .... and browsing the other has me endorsing the suggestion of getting the local MP involved (as well as anyone else can be brought on board) .... help needed asap and at the highest level possible before any further damage is done.

Donque – my very best wishes for a speedy resolution ....

Love, Karen, x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello donque

I have just replied to your other Thread which has the same request as this one. It is why we ask members not to post duplicate Threads.

I will merge your Threads so your query about advocates for carers and replies are all in one place.

I will repeat the link I have just left on your other Thread.

http://www.carersfederation.co.uk/adult-carer-info/

It is for the Carers Federation

I hope you get some help.

mby

Jun 21, 2012
Merton
Have you tried carers support, I found my local group by putting that and my local authority in google. Mine seemed a bit hit and miss at first but it's growing on me! My local group does have support workers for carers and they did ask if I wanted an advocate.
Also found my local Age UK helpful initially with legal stuff and they helped to fill in forms etc
As said above also used local Alzheimers group, who also have support workers.
Think things are quite different from area to area so not sure if the same services will be available in your area.